Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:47:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Official] Message from the Montreal Bitcoin Embassy  (Read 9088 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Bitcoin Embassy (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 12:24:10 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2013, 12:58:32 AM by Bitcoin Embassy

Montreal Bitcoin Embassy

We are excited about the interest building around the establishment of the Bitcoin Embassy in Montreal and we have been working hard, putting together a team and organizing as we prepare to officially open our doors.

The Bitcoin Embassy will serve as a hub where everything Bitcoin related will be given the opportunity to have it’s place under the same roof. We have in mind ; a bitcoin store / museum, a place for meet-ups, conferences, educational sessions, startup / venture capital center, everything that can help grow and promote Bitcoin throughout the Montreal community. Our goal is to make this city an international location for existing Bitcoin enthusiasts and future adopters alike.

Join us at our next meet-up planned for Saturday, August 17th, 2013 at 2:30pm at the Bitcoin Embassy offices located at: 3485 St-Laurent Boul. Montreal.   We look forward to discuss, plan and get people involved in the next phases of this exciting new project!

Please get in touch with us at info@BitcoinEmbassy.ca

To help us further build and grow the Bitcoin Embassy, you can also contribute by donating to 1EMBASSYyhoYZiv1cHFpPRM5fnSXk6C7Gp

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=3485+boul+St-laurent+Montreal&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=45.558042,-73.730303&sspn=0.681737,1.454315&hnear=3485+Boulevard+Saint-Laurent,+Montr%C3%A9al,+Quebec+H2X+2T6&t=m&z=16
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Embassy (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 12:31:39 AM

reserved
last2stand

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:08:42 AM

Will it be in english ?
Bitcoin Embassy (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 02:26:43 AM

Will it be in english ?
Yes, The meetups will be in both languages.

We look forward to seeing you soon.
360SECONDS

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:42:46 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2013, 03:15:41 AM by 360SECONDS

http://imgur.com/iVKeyHF.png

[CONFIRMED:]  Cool
infonetenergy

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:23:10 AM

Awesome!  Looking forward to helping you promote this initiative...
last2stand

Activity: 132

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:35:02 AM

Do we have to reserve ? BTW I'm both languages and I will come for sure !
marjamrob

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 05:28:02 PM

When will this be opening? Any ETA? Also is it going to be Embassy, I thought on the other thread, that it had to be French...
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 09:35:17 PM

Do we have to reserve ? BTW I'm both languages and I will come for sure !

There's no reservation required. The more people the better Smiley

When will this be opening? Any ETA? Also is it going to be Embassy, I thought on the other thread, that it had to be French...

Great people are working hard on that at the moment. The only date given right now is the one of the next meetup.

The French requirement is local only. So in Montréal, it's going to be named "Ambassade Bitcoin". But on the web, well, you can name it "Bitcoin Embajada" or "Bitcoin Ambasciata" if you want.

Services will be provided in French and English.
Jaxkr

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:23:24 PM

I don't think it's technically an embassy since it doesn't represent a country.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

I don't think it's technically an embassy since it doesn't represent a country.

bitcoin is a country of the internet

Jake.Hobson

Activity: 30

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 02:48:13 PM

The words "Embassy" and/or "Ambassador" have nowadays a more flexible meaning:

"The word is also often used more liberally for persons who are known, without national appointment, to represent certain professions, activities and fields of endeavor"

The Bitcoin Embassy intends to represent, help, educate, and promote certain activities and fields of endeavor. It is not politically "charged".

jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:14:25 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 06:48:50 AM by jedunnigan

"The word is also often used more liberally for persons who are known, without national appointment, to represent certain professions, activities and fields of endeavor"

If you are going to quote something please link. I looked it up and you grabbed it from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassador

The words Ambassador/Embassy are NOT interchangeable in the context of a standalone building that is a hub for Bitcoin enthusiasts by Bitcoin enthusiasts. This project is neither official or unofficial, it just is. There is no distinction in Bitcoin because there is no such thing as centralized authority. This name rejects that.

Even if there are alternative use cases for the word you can't separate them in this context from the word's diplomatic, official derivation. It's confusing to most--not to mention it sends the wrong signals... you probably don't want to invite insinuations of centralization or that this is some extension of the core developers or Satoshi himself. It's oxymoronical, and I say that with all the respect in the world.

Conceptually (and practically) this is super exciting. I applaud you guys... thanks for making this happen. Just please, no embassy.
Hullabaloo

Activity: 79

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:40:30 PM

The words Ambassador/Embassy are NOT interchangeable in the context of a standalone building that is a hub for Bitcoin enthusiasts by Bitcoin enthusiasts. This project is neither official or unofficial, it just is. There is no distinction in Bitcoin because there is no such thing as centralized authority. This name rejects that.

That's why I unilaterally declare myself the King of Bitcoinia.  Bitcoinland?  Bitconnerie?  Bah, I'll let the peasants pick a name for the land, and then have them hanged.
Smiley  Step two is to have an heir with the Queen of LTC. Smiley

Tips? BTC: 1PuPCtUt3pmMjbiLTgTKD6G9AkQS3FBUtD            WDC: WPmzeDfXjgoTEztP1rGCe1ZcBLLMJq7yvL
                                                        Time is Bitcoin!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 03:39:39 PM

lol

coinguycanada

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:01:08 PM

congrats guys! I hope to be there too Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 04:40:27 PM

lol nice.

Caribou

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:27:08 PM

I will be there !
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 10:09:34 PM

If you are going to quote something please link. I looked it up and you grabbed it from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassador

Even if there are alternative use cases for the word you can't separate them in this context from the word's diplomatic, official derivation. It's confusing to most--not to mention it sends the wrong signals... you probably don't want to invite insinuations of centralization or that this is some extension of the core developers or Satoshi himself. It's oxymoronical, and I say that with all the respect in the world.

Conceptually (and practically) this is super exciting. I applaud you guys... thanks for making this happen. Just please, no embassy.

Hi jedunnigan,

Thanks for your comment, I've made some research on that. I have a question for you (and others who are native anglophones). Is the term "embassy" is ever used in english in a context other than political?

It's because in french, "Ambassade" is mainly political, but can also be used in a way like Jake.Hobson said. In many dictionaries, they also confirm this second meaning in french. But I've been looking in english dictionaries, and I have a hard time finding that second meaning for "Embassy" in english. Maybe something has been "lost in translation" here?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about "Ambassadeur"/"Ambassador" here, they have the same meaning in both languages.

Thank you for your input.
jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 05:39:22 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 04:27:12 PM by jedunnigan

Hi jedunnigan,

Thanks for your comment, I've made some research on that. I have a question for you (and others who are native anglophones). Is the term "embassy" is ever used in english in a context other than political?

It's because in french, "Ambassade" is mainly political, but can also be used in a way like Jake.Hobson said. In many dictionaries, they also confirm this second meaning in french. But I've been looking in english dictionaries, and I have a hard time finding that second meaning for "Embassy" in english. Maybe something has been "lost in translation" here?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about "Ambassadeur"/"Ambassador" here, they have the same meaning in both languages.

Thank you for your input.

I have seen it used a few times in contexts not politically motivated, but even then it is usually nation-state centric. Unfortunately that is not where the issue with the usage lies in my opinion--embassy implies an official representation of some thing, in this case Bitcoin, which it could not be for the reasons I mentioned earlier. This could be argued to be a matter of opinion, so we may not agree on this point. But I had to say my peace.

This is more like a community center, not an embassy--that should give you context for what types of names I feel are more appropriate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: