Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:19:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Automated Trading Contest (Prize 0.5 BTC) / Best automated strategies  (Read 50176 times)
Diabolicus

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 03:37:24 AM

Me too, of course.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZirconiumX

Activity: 286
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 08:50:11 AM

I'll join in.

Are we allowed to modify one of the example scripts and enter it in?

Matthew:out
overunity

Activity: 198

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 09:40:07 AM

I would love to be able to do what you guys can do .

To get my computer to automatically do things based on some information I have wrote .

Is there any were that these scripts ,I think you call them? can be learned by a very interested nooby .?

If there is does anyone know of a video format since I learn quicker watching instructional commentated video footage ?
nitrous

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:18:32 AM

To get my computer to automatically do things based on some information I have wrote .

Is there any were that these scripts ,I think you call them? can be learned by a very interested nooby .?

If there is does anyone know of a video format since I learn quicker watching instructional commentated video footage ?

In order to write these scripts, you need to know a programming language. For CryptoTrader.org, the language is Coffeescript. I don't know how quickly you can learn to do this. Essentially, programming is about translating logic into a form that a computer can understand. I've been programming in various languages for about 9 years, but you should definitely be able to get to a position where you can write simple programs or scripts, even to do trading, after a much shorter time. There may be videos, but I don't think that videos are very appropriate for learning to program, I suggest you search for tutorials in an interpreted language, like Javascript or Python. Coffeescript compiles into Javascript, so once you know Javascript it should be fairly straightforward to get to know Coffeescript (I'm not sure whether there are resources to help you learn Coffeescript without JS).

It may sound daunting, but if you make a concerted effort to try you will get great results, and you will find that being able to program will be an invaluable skill in unexpected areas, and will allow you to fully take advantage of the power of modern technology. Another thing you might find scary is that there are so many different languages out there. What you will find though is that they share many features in common, and that with quick access to Google you should be able to get started with other languages in the same paradigm fairly quickly.

If you just want me to tell you what to start with though, in case you can't decide what to do with all the variety out there, then I would recommend C if you're seriously interested in programming. Firstly, many other languages you will find use a very similar syntax, so it will be a very useful foundation. Secondly, it's a compiled language that is used for many purposes from your operating system to the programs you use, so it's versatile. Thirdly, it isn't object-orientated, so that's one less thing to learn as you start out. Fourthly, it will introduce you to the concept of compiling. Fifthly, it is quite strict so it will help you develop good practices before you start using more lenient languages.

After a short while, if you can write some basic C programs and are aching to start on trading scripts you can use with CryptoTrader.org, then you will be prepared to start learning Javascript (which has similar syntax to C, but some things are different). Then you can learn Coffeescript and use cryptotrader.org. (Note that you will now have 1/3 of the tools to write basic websites as well! Just learn HTML and CSS (which aren't programming languages themselves, more just ways to format text), and you'll be ready to go!)

Alternatively, if you want to actually use scripts to trade, you might want to instead learn Python, as many bitcoin trading libraries have been written in Python. Python, you will find, has a strikingly different appearance and syntax to C, but many of the underlying concepts are the same. With its interpreter as well, you may find it much quicker to work with than C, JS or Coffeescript.

Btw, JS, Coffeescript, and Python all include Object-Orientated programming. This is an important concept to learn about at some stage, but you don't need to concern yourself with it when you start out, and it's not difficult to learn when you're more comfortable with the basics.

Note: If you're on Windows, you might find it helpful to install Cygwin.

If you have started learning these languages but are unsure of how to use them to start trading, feel free to PM me. I can be quite busy at times (and I'm going to get even more busy over the next few years !), but if I'm able to I'd be happy to help you learn this stuff Smiley

Donations: 1Q2EN7TzJ6z82xvmQrRoQoMf3Tf4rMCyvL
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation: https://bitbucket.org/nitrous/mtgox-api/overview
MtGox API v2 Unofficial Documentation Forum Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164404.0
Diabolicus

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:08:22 PM

You should start by taking apart step by step some of the scripts linked in this thread. Try to understand what each line does, alter some values and see how that affects the result. If you run into any trouble just ask here.
capoeira
Legendary

Activity: 2388
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 01:52:07 PM

I don't know nothing about programing, but playing around with the examples i could achieve what i wanted

overunity

Activity: 198

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 02:14:59 PM

Awesome replies more than I ever hoped for .

I'am going to be googling the advice given here Thank you all
pulsecat (OP)

Activity: 220

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 06:47:04 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2013, 07:24:12 PM by pulsecat

I'll join in.

Are we allowed to modify one of the example scripts and enter it in?

Yes, modified example scripts are allowed.

In addition to the great explanation by nitrous, i would only add that even if you don't have programming skills, you still can run any algorithm of your choice to trade for bitcoins at Mtgox or Bitstamp. For example, let's say you want to trade EMA method at Bitstamp:

1) At Home page you will find links to some basic algorithms, one of those is EMA 10/21.

2) Go to the link to open the backtest tool. Configure backtest settings: change platform to Bitstamp, tune other settings if needed. Then click 'Backtest' button. Once the simulation is finished, you will get a log that shows how the strategy performed on historical market data at Bitstamp. Backtesting is an important procedure to test validity of any trading strategy.

3) Let's say you are satisfied with the backtest results and now you want configure bot to do trading for you at Bitstamp
Install cryptrade tool from https://github.com/pulsecat/cryptrade. This can be tricky part if you don't have experience with nodejs/git or if you are on windows.

4) Run bot by using the following command
Code:
./cryptrade.sh -p bitstamp https://cryptotrader.org/backtests/PqS7WC4NXv6PiF3RD
Thats it. When bot is running, the algorithm, fed with marked data received from the server, generates trading signals that may result in profit if your strategy is good.

CryptoTrader.org - Cloud-based Automated Trading on Bitstamp/BTC-E/CEX.IO/Bitfinex/Kraken | Discussion topic at Bitcointalk.org | Automated Trading Contest (Prize 2 BTC)
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 06:57:22 PM

I already proposed a formal trading language. Just rules. No real algorithm. Maybe such a language would help you?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130966.0

pulsecat (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 07:20:44 PM

Updated rules for Round #4 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=261086.msg2786070#msg2786070

Note that this time Bitstamp is to be used as a source of market data.

CryptoTrader.org - Cloud-based Automated Trading on Bitstamp/BTC-E/CEX.IO/Bitfinex/Kraken | Discussion topic at Bitcointalk.org | Automated Trading Contest (Prize 2 BTC)
Adriano
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1285
Merit: 1085

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 07:40:33 PM

- Until 10/07 00:00 GMT participants post links to their backtest results (link should look like: cryptotrader.org/backtests/<session-id>) to this thread so that the winner can be further determined. At 09/20 all participating scripts will be re-run with initial cash deposit set to 1000 USD and fee 0.5%.  The author of the algorithm that performed best will be awarded with 2 BTC.

I think you have forgotten to update the end of the competition.

Regards,

Adriano

--
pulsecat (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2013, 07:44:03 PM

- Until 10/07 00:00 GMT participants post links to their backtest results (link should look like: cryptotrader.org/backtests/<session-id>) to this thread so that the winner can be further determined. At 09/20 all participating scripts will be re-run with initial cash deposit set to 1000 USD and fee 0.5%.  The author of the algorithm that performed best will be awarded with 2 BTC.

I think you have forgotten to update the end of the competition.

Regards,

Adriano

Fixed, thanks.

IncreaseMyT

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 06:33:43 PM

Why don't you guys offer a service for newbs like us that interested.

For instance, I would be willing to fund, someone writes the script and both make money?Huh

I would love to try and run one or even two, but I don't have enough time to learn how to code, nor do I want Smiley As everyone I have worked with in the digital industry usually hates writing code.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:58:57 PM

Can you give us start/end dates for Round #2 & Round #3? It was in the opening post, but now is overwritten with Round #4 info. Need it to simulate how would new algorithms do in previous competition rounds.
ZirconiumX

Activity: 286

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:53:49 PM

The result of an hour or so's work:

https://cryptotrader.org/backtests/NQckFniuZqZZJbrWX

With the data set given, this is 23% more profitable than the default settings.

pulsecat (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 12:28:52 PM

Looks like our beloved Bitcointalk is back? If no one objects, i changed Round #4 start date to 14 Oct due to obvious reasons. To avoid such confusions in the future, a discussion section has been added to the site.

pulsecat (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 06:41:05 PM

Why don't you guys offer a service for newbs like us that interested.

For instance, I would be willing to fund, someone writes the script and both make money?Huh

I would love to try and run one or even two, but I don't have enough time to learn how to code, nor do I want Smiley As everyone I have worked with in the digital industry usually hates writing code.

Seems like the feature you are asking for https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=222696.msg3291331#msg3291331
Good news! Cryptotrader now allows fully automated trading at MtGox & Bitstamp. Technically, everyone subscribed to the paid service gets his virtual machine in our VPS cloud, so that scalability is not an issue anymore.

dddbtc

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:17:16 PM

Just bought Pro access, I'm trying to trade on bitstamp, after I ran backtests and decided which algorithm I want to use, I clicked "trade" and attempted to login with my bitstamp user/pass as well as the bitstamp API key/secret.  Neither of them work.  I have the API key created with all permissions except for withdraws enabled under Security--->API access.  I confirmed the email to activate the key I created.

Why can't I trade on bitstamp  Embarrassed I really hope this gets resolved quickly since I just purchased Pro access.

my partner was hoping to mess with algorithms for the contest, but we're anti-gox because they won't accept my verification documents (however, bitstamp will haha)
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 01:29:44 AM

Here's my entry, thanks

https://cryptotrader.org/backtests/Z9tdtS6A3Er5aCCHY

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
pulsecat (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 02:00:46 PM

Just bought Pro access, I'm trying to trade on bitstamp, after I ran backtests and decided which algorithm I want to use, I clicked "trade" and attempted to login with my bitstamp user/pass as well as the bitstamp API key/secret.  Neither of them work.  I have the API key created with all permissions except for withdraws enabled under Security--->API access.  I confirmed the email to activate the key I created.

Why can't I trade on bitstamp  Embarrassed I really hope this gets resolved quickly since I just purchased Pro access.

my partner was hoping to mess with algorithms for the contest, but we're anti-gox because they won't accept my verification documents (however, bitstamp will haha)

Done. Now trading bots use clientId/key/secret to access Bitstamp API. Thanks.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: