Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:36:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie questions about Private Key  (Read 329 times)
crypto zen (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:26:22 AM

Im pretty newbie in cryptocurrency. I heard that we need to keep secure our Private key. Do we get a Private Key each time we open an account on an Exchange ie: Bittrex, Poloniex, Binance, Coinbase, etc? or do we get Private Key on each currency? I have account on Bittrex and Binance and Coinbase, and as I can remember they never show me Private key. do I suppose to get one?

I also need to know; Do we need to save the generated address each time we send or receive coins between exchange? the address keep changing each time we send.

And where do I get a Paper Private key?

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Honglee

Activity: 156
Merit: 10

Start my crypto for better world

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:14:11 AM

The exchanger above you mention is not an offline wallet, is under control by 3rd party company.
1 of the exchanger i knew is etherdelta, if u open new acc, u need keep the private key, and the public key "address" is shown together.

"TEU - bitcoin for shipping ICO: 15/Mar - 12/Apr"
ETCethereum

Activity: 451
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:43:02 AM

Im pretty newbie in cryptocurrency. I heard that we need to keep secure our Private key. Do we get a Private Key each time we open an account on an Exchange ie: Bittrex, Poloniex, Binance, Coinbase, etc? or do we get Private Key on each currency? I have account on Bittrex and Binance and Coinbase, and as I can remember they never show me Private key. do I suppose to get one?

I also need to know; Do we need to save the generated address each time we send or receive coins between exchange? the address keep changing each time we send.

youre never get private key, if get addres in exchanger
except etherdelta, because in there decentralized exchange you can get private key in there, but only ETH addres
randyboy

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:53:05 AM

Thats why you can keep your private key be provate because if one know youre private key they use it to get your money from it all you can do is to be secured of it and dont tell to every one even your friends.
Albert211994

Activity: 148
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:12:18 AM

Im pretty newbie in cryptocurrency. I heard that we need to keep secure our Private key. Do we get a Private Key each time we open an account on an Exchange ie: Bittrex, Poloniex, Binance, Coinbase, etc?
You do not hold any private key in any exchanges. They hold the private key of the deposit address you use in each exchanges. That is why it is not advised to hold your crypto in any exchanges.

or do we get Private Key on each currency? I have account on Bittrex and Binance and Coinbase, and as I can remember they never show me Private key.
You only get public keys or address for each crypto where you can deposit your crypto.

Not necessary, just get the new one.

You can get the private of the address from the wallet where you generated the address. You can print it and store it safely where no one can steal it.
wiik

Activity: 293
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 08:42:40 AM

You get private keys from online wallets e.g. : MyEtherWallet . Those exchanges only give you address where you should send you coins . For example , in crytopia if you want to deposit some lets say $Onions . DeepOnion has its own wallet , the wallet has a generated address and private key which you should copy and back up . When depositing in Crytopia , they will give you an $onion address where you should send the coins you want to deposit . After the transaction , it will go to your exchange wallet and from there you can start trading . However , there are some exchanges that offers their own wallet for trading . EtherDelta is one , they have an option if you want to import your wallet or if you want to use their generated wallet . But of course you need to back up your wallet details or else youll lose all your coins deposited .

Darwin02

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:47:00 AM

you will have privatekey every time you create a wallet for every coin. private key or seeds is the key to open your wallet and you are the only one who know it  dont share it to other people and secured your private to a place that can you easly remember . and exchnage dont give any private key.

▄█
            ██  ██
           ██  ████
          ██  ██  ██
         ██  ██    ██
        ██  ██  ██  ██
       ██  ██    ██  ██
      ██  ██  ██  ██  ██
     ██  ██  ████  ██  ██
    ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██
   ██  ██  ██    ██  ██  ██
  ██  ██  ██████████  ██  ██
 ██                    ██  ██
█████████████████████▄  ██  █
                         ██
▀███████████████████████████

█████ █   █ █████      ███          █████████████▄▄    ████            ████     ▄▄██████████      ▄▄██████████
  █   █   █ █         █████         ████████████████    ████          ████     █████████████     █████████████
  █   █████ █████    ███████        ███         ▀███     ████        ████     ███▀              ███▀
  █   █   █ █        ███ ███        ███          ███      ████      ████      ███               ███
  █   █   █ █████   ███   ███       ███          ███       ████    ████       ███               ███
                    ███   ███       ███         ▄███        ████  ████        ███▄              ███▄
                   ███     ███      ██████████████▀          ████████          ██████████▄▄      ██████████▄▄
                   ███     ███      ██████████████▄           ██████            ▀▀██████████      ▀▀██████████
                  ███       ███     ███         ▀███           ████                      ▀███              ▀███
                  █████████████     ███          ███           ████                       ███               ███
                 ███████████████    ███          ███           ████                       ███               ███
                 ███         ███    ███         ▄███           ████                      ▄███              ▄███
                ███           ███   ████████████████           ████           ██████████████    ██████████████
                ███           ███   █████████████▀▀            ████           ███████████▀▀     ███████████▀▀

█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█▄▄
▀▀█
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █

█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█▄▄
▀▀█
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
.TOKEN SALE. Apr 16 2018
      .DAICO.      May 16 2018

ANN Thread  ■  Whitepaper
■  Twitter
■  Telegram
■  Facebook
Forbiddenone

Activity: 585
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:43:43 PM

Exchanges do not provide private key for your wallet.and not all online wallet provide private key.coinbase do not provide it and many more.always prefer those online wallet which provides you private key such as myetherwallet,bitgo,etc.
nniecan001

Activity: 322
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:24:42 PM

Exchanges do not provide private key for your wallet.and not all online wallet provide private key.coinbase do not provide it and many more.always prefer those online wallet which provides you private key such as myetherwallet,bitgo,etc.

Now I understand more about private key. For some reason, I choose myetherwallet because of that kind of security. Security measure is one of a good factor when choosing online wallet.
Ojengonggu

Activity: 756
Merit: 105

Trphy.io

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 02:49:04 PM

MEW wallet is an erc20 token that uses private key and will be available if regestration and private key will be reused when you want to enter exchange exchange like etherdelta and idex.

Hamphser

Activity: 2464
Merit: 325

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 03:06:16 PM

These are the advantage when you do make use on exchange wallet which you wont really have the possession of your own private keys which is already a part of the risk when you do tend to store up coins on an exchange wallet and this is why its being advised for how many times already that we should not really store up huge amounts because once those exchanges been hacked or compromised you wont really have the chance on accessing those wallet since you don't have the private keys.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
StGermain

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

QuickX ICO

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 11:47:14 PM

There is no private key if you are exposed to any exchanger wallet but if you use myetherwallet, you have private key that should be saved for various purposes.

And then there is the question of how to save it in a safe manner. What I find particularly difficult is making sure that the computer does not have malaware or any suspicious program. Re-formating and installing a system is an option, but is tiresome.

nniecan001

Activity: 322
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:04:33 AM

There is no private key if you are exposed to any exchanger wallet but if you use myetherwallet, you have private key that should be saved for various purposes.

And then there is the question of how to save it in a safe manner. What I find particularly difficult is making sure that the computer does not have malaware or any suspicious program. Re-formating and installing a system is an option, but is tiresome.
Absolutely , time consuming of installing and re-formatting application or Operating System. How about some anti-virus? Is it possible that anti virus can detect those kind of malware?
UZIzzzz

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:51:20 PM

The exchange's address is often changed, so be careful not to send it to other addresses. You can download a local wallet that will prompt you to save your private key.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:15:00 PM

Private key only for wallet you hold, not for exchange! Because who have a private key can sent your coin!
SparkSun

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:18:08 PM

I don't know about private key?
Someone please inform me about this
alexeyneu

Activity: 312
Merit: 30

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:04:58 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2017, 02:26:29 PM by alexeyneu

here is a list
https://coinclarity.com/wallets/?fwp_cold_storage=yes
not all wallets there allow access to private key ,but there is 'security' tab with private key location in each one's description
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:14:32 PM

I don't know about private key?
Someone please inform me about this
Have you tried out on making a new wallet? Specially on desktop wallet or even on ETH (myetherwallet). If you did able to try then you would really able to get cautions about storing up your Private keys which it is just simply an important key that would really be needed for you to access your wallet this is why its really important to keep it safe and not been known by anybody because you would really lost your coins once someone did have the possession of they keys. Just imagine on a simple concept that a thief do have a key of the door of your own house.

airbet 
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
 PLAY NOW 
Angelliddy

Activity: 93
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:36:21 PM

Good lectures on this thread thanks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4905709.msg44176665#msg44176665
bitlyra

Activity: 142

crestonium.io - 0% fees cryptobank

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 03:06:43 PM

Private keys are just only in your MyEtherWallet Account. It is only one. This private key only given once when you applied for ether address in the https://www.myetherwallet.com...and I advice you to copy and save the address and keep you private key confidential.

P.F.

Activity: 107

get ready to

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:58:33 PM

Yes, this is a very good tip, that you need to keep secure our Private key, i tell tou about Edelta im hit my Private key once and its work well, so my Private key stay in chrome browser and dont go to Edelta servers to seve on it.
SaoAccel

Activity: 378
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:27:58 AM

The private key is like the key in your house. To open your house you need the key. Your wallet also needs the key if you will transact with others.  Smiley
pealr12

Activity: 1946
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:38:51 AM

Private key is sometimes the key on your vault and your the only one who can open it, so never tell it or give it to anyone, dont store your private key on your computer cause thiers a possiblity that they can steal it.
blazsqd

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 01:58:33 PM

private key is one of the important thing when you become newbie. when you do an exchange you do not need private key on your wallet.
lagabara

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 02:15:34 PM

Private only for wallet like MEW, parity, metamask and others and it should be kept lest others know. But if the exchanger does not have a private key. So we do not need to save after the transaction.
kreket1

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2018, 02:17:54 PM

The private key is so named because it is yours personally. You should not give it to anyone. You can lose all the contents of your wallet. Be careful and do not fool yourself

tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 02:21:32 PM

The private key along with the wallet address is generated if you create a secured crypto wallet (like myetherwallet). The private key is the code that opens your wallet in this website so providing it or giving/showing it nonchalantly to other people will get your wallet be hacked and all the tokens/crypto that you have will be gone. That is why you should thread carefully on what you will provide in exchanges or if you are joining bounties and just provide you wallet address.

The wallet address is the only one that you will provide in exchanges and bounties it is also the one that is being provided to you be the exchange sites.
Alex Melkov

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 02:30:37 PM

A private key is generated when you create a purse called Myetherwallet. This private key does not need to be inserted in such exchanges as Poloniex, Bittrex and so on.
Bento98

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 03:08:34 PM

if I do not think all the wallets have a private key. so the right choice to choose wallet is MEW WALLET because it uses private key and is available when we want regrestrasi.and personal key can we use when we do the exchange as in etherdelta.
CryptRoller

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

Mining. Hosting. Cloud Mining.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2018, 03:14:57 PM

A lot of information, so recap:

Wallet on exchange > you don't get the private key, only a public address for deposits
Wallet on MEW > you get a private key. Keep this safe and don't share it. You will need it for transactions
Wallet software (installed on your computer) > you get a private key. Keep this safe and don't share it. You will need it for transactions
Offline wallets > you get a private key. Keep this safe and don't share it. You will need it for transactions

Important: NEVER share your private key, it will give the owner access to your coins / tokens

[   eGOLD  M I N I N G   ]    Mining. Hosting. Cloud Mining.
                                INVEST NOW                              
❪❪ WP | How it Works ❫❫   ◾ telegram  ◾ facebook  ◾ twitter
Docbee

Activity: 822

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 03:48:51 PM

On exchange you don't need a private let me say you won't be given private key your account is managed by the exchanger. The only platform where you get your private key is when you use ERC20 platform like MEW, METAMASK, IMTOKEN, EIDOO etc.

ArkiCrypto

Activity: 238
Merit: 33

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 04:55:14 PM

All the things you've stated are an exchange site not a wallet that is suitable for getting a private key. If you want to get a private key you have 2 options:

1. Make an offline wallet (Ledgers, paper wallet)
You can buy ledger online but it's a little bit expensive so if you want an alternative for ledger you can use paper wallet just search online for a paper wallet ex. Bitcoin paper wallet, Ethereum paper wallet, etc.

2. Core Wallets/Software wallets
Wherein you're going to download the core wallet of the your chosen coin for example Bitcoin you should download Bitcoin Core because they have the feature on where you can get your private keys.

BTC-BTC-BTC
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

www.neutroncoin.com

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 05:18:17 PM

Done expect you will get the private key from any exchange as many people have mentioned it on the thread. You should not keep your funds at any exchange for a long period of time anyway. They are big target for hackers.
riskrocks007

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 08:21:33 PM

You do not get private key for exchanges like binance, polinex, bitrex etc - you have additional security features like google 2fa.

Private Keys you get are only for wallets like neowallet, myetherwallet etc
kreket1

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2018, 06:58:39 AM

I gave my private key only on the etherdelta.com exchange. there it can be done safely, but I still reinsured and created another purse. in all other places I think giving my private key is very dangerous

goodvibes05

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 07:26:54 AM

the private key is what you use for your digital wallet like MEW, it's like a password that you have keep the safety of your tokens or coins. I think in some exchanges theres no need for a private key.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │       T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  21st  J U N E                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       Whitepaper     Telegram     Twitter     Reddit        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: