Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:27:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase cancel "high risk" buy - now seeking agent in Los Angeles  (Read 4193 times)
Axion_Zen

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 08:11:18 PM

Continued testing of Coinbase:  Sumbitted a buy for 4 coins (their price $448.63)
PENDING Your BTC will arrive on Tuesday Aug 27, 2013 around 02:23PM PDT. August 21, 2013, at 01:23pm PDT
Will see if they fulfill and which way the price moved (likely down from there).

I wouldn't want to be their accountant/auditor.

OTOH, selling coins received through them has been swift and easy.
Waiting to purchase anymore until they reply to tickets...since others have had them randomly debit their account and process the " cancelled " transaction weeks after it was cancelled, seems like another slow ass customer support team like every other bitcoin company.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 09:33:13 PM

Continued testing of Coinbase:  Sumbitted a buy for 4 coins (their price $448.63)
PENDING Your BTC will arrive on Tuesday Aug 27, 2013 around 02:23PM PDT. August 21, 2013, at 01:23pm PDT
Will see if they fulfill and which way the price moved (likely down from there).

I wouldn't want to be their accountant/auditor.

OTOH, selling coins received through them has been swift and easy.
Waiting to purchase anymore until they reply to tickets...since others have had them randomly debit their account and process the " cancelled " transaction weeks after it was cancelled, seems like another slow ass customer support team like every other bitcoin company.

So far the fastest and easiest for clearing bitcoin purchases (and with awesome customer support) is Bitcoin-Brokers.  It is like localbitcoins with concierge customer service.  I like to test out as many as I can get around to rather than just use only one, but so far if I am in a hurry and need reliability, it will always be bitcoin-brokers.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Axion_Zen

Activity: 232

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 07:52:36 AM

Well they sent my btc through after I posted my support ticket id on their Twitter . So that seems to work.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 10:00:13 AM

localbitcoins is your friend.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 10:41:41 PM

On Aug 21, 2013 you purchased 4.00 BTC via bank transfer for $448.63.

Unfortunately, we have decided to cancel this order because it appears to be high risk. We do not send out any bitcoins on high risk transactions, and you will receive a refund to your bank account in 3-4 business days.

Please understand that we do this to keep the community safe and avoid fraudulent transactions. Apologies if you are one of the good users who gets caught up in this preventitive measure - we don't get it right 100% of the time, but we need to be cautious when it comes to preventing fraud.

You may have more luck trying again in a few weeks. Best of luck and thank you for trying Coinbase.

Kind regards,
The Coinbase Team
=====================
No surprise with the price move again in their favor.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 10:42:44 PM

Unfortunately, we have decided to cancel this order because it appears to be high risk. We do not send out any bitcoins on high risk transactions, and you will receive a refund to your bank account in 3-4 business days.

Please understand that we do this to keep the community safe and avoid fraudulent transactions. Apologies if you are one of the good users who gets caught up in this preventitive measure - we don't get it right 100% of the time, but we need to be cautious when it comes to preventing fraud.

You may have more luck trying again in a few weeks. Best of luck and thank you for trying Coinbase.

Kind regards,
The Coinbase Team
=====================
Once again the only person(s) committing fraud here is coinbase.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 08:13:42 PM

Kind regards,
The Coinbase Team
=====================
Once again the only person(s) committing fraud here is coinbase.

Coinbase don't seem to have crossed the line into fraud.  
I did not determine they were lieing about anything.
Further, Coinbase seems to have a solid business model.  
But...The high degree of trust they require in providing sufficient KYC data that Coinbase bears risk for data retention issues.  
Release of information like that, even if accidental, has very stiff fines almost everywhere.
And... It generates some uneasiness in the market they serve.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 05:08:17 AM

Coinbase support is on the case, it may be resolved perfectly after all.

hennessyhemp

Activity: 511

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 05:11:38 PM

Well they sent my btc through after I posted my support ticket id on their Twitter . So that seems to work.

They process high volumes...it may take some time...but see, they seem pretty legit.  Resolved my issues also.

I am happy to report I told you so on this one...nice to see Coinbase standing by their core foundations.  They
have done right by me and my friends with both buying and selling.

Now if only we could get them offering Litecoins for USD.

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 05:18:55 PM

They process high volumes...it may take some time...but see, they seem pretty legit.  Resolved my issues also.

I am happy to report I told you so on this one...nice to see Coinbase standing by their core foundations.  They
have done right by me and my friends with both buying and selling.

Now if only we could get them offering Litecoins for USD.

It still isn't resolved.  I did get some good lip service though.  One of three buy transactions processed, all the sells went through.

I look forward to joining the group of happy customers, one of these days, and supposedly I am "whitelisted" but not sure of the effect of that yet.

hennessyhemp

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 05:31:42 PM

My friend got whitelisted because of a bad transaction which gave him immediate buy and sell privileges that made me quite jealous while I was waiting for my account to mature because my other transactions went through successfully.  Whitelisting is their version of Sorry we F-ed up, here buy and sell faster and easier from here on, yada, yada, etc.

Send another support message...they are in San Fran and have offices...which also means they can be sued if shit goes south...you will be fine.

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 05:48:46 PM

My friend got whitelisted because of a bad transaction which gave him immediate buy and sell privileges that made me quite jealous while I was waiting for my account to mature because my other transactions went through successfully.  Whitelisting is their version of Sorry we F-ed up, here buy and sell faster and easier from here on, yada, yada, etc.

Send another support message...they are in San Fran and have offices...which also means they can be sued if shit goes south...you will be fine.

Is "faster" less than 1 week for coins to be delivered?  So far its been:

Buy coins... wait a week, transaction not processed.
Submit support request,
Get no feedback from support
Post to forum and get advice to try again
Submit support request
Get a promise to process the two previous transactions and be white listed (yay!)
First transaction gets promised (a couple weeks late)
Second transaction .... still waiting
Submit a third buy transaction, pending, money withdrawn from account, with a commitment to deliver coins in a week (this is the same as the first two which were then reversed, but one was re-reversed).

So far its been completely unpredictable and not something I can rely on for business purposes.  I really wish it were, even with the limits it could be very useful for keeping more of the cash on hand in bitcoin.
I would love to be able to be helpful to them to get their act together, but there isn't much interaction...

Bitpay on the other hand...  VP arranged a meet, bought me drinks, talked through all the issues, and seems to be top shelf.
Everything takes time, and I appreciate that, life is long.  But we aren't at the "I told you so" stage yet.  Still looking forward to that.

hennessyhemp

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 06:41:15 PM

Is "faster" less than 1 week for coins to be delivered?  So far its been:

Submit support request,
Get no feedback from support
Post to forum and get advice to try again
Submit support request
Get a promise to process the two previous transactions and be white listed (yay!)
First transaction gets promised (a couple weeks late)
Second transaction .... still waiting
Submit a third buy transaction, pending, money withdrawn from account, with a commitment to deliver coins in a week (this is the same as the first two which were then reversed, but one was re-reversed).

So far its been completely unpredictable and not something I can rely on for business purposes.  I really wish it were, even with the limits it could be very useful for keeping more of the cash on hand in bitcoin.
I would love to be able to be helpful to them to get their act together, but there isn't much interaction...

Bitpay on the other hand...  VP arranged a meet, bought me drinks, talked through all the issues, and seems to be top shelf.
Everything takes time, and I appreciate that, life is long.  But we aren't at the "I told you so" stage yet.  Still looking forward to that.

Fair enough.  Hope your issues are resolved swiftly, Coinbase is a pretty big player now in this arena.  I do know the longer you sit in their database and the more you message them, the more your account status goes up...or at least that's been my experience...had one issue with them that had me pissed for a week, but then it was resolved admirably and I've had no issues since, with my account fully vested and able to issue instant buys.  Sells still take a week or so to get paid out, but that seems to be the name of the game unless you live near a BTC ATM or a local seller.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:13:34 PM

"High Risk"? This isn't the first time when I hear this crap!

We are tired of lies!

lol
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:42:32 PM

Fair enough.  Hope your issues are resolved swiftly, Coinbase is a pretty big player now in this arena.  I do know the longer you sit in their database and the more you message them, the more your account status goes up...or at least that's been my experience...had one issue with them that had me pissed for a week, but then it was resolved admirably and I've had no issues since, with my account fully vested and able to issue instant buys.  Sells still take a week or so to get paid out, but that seems to be the name of the game unless you live near a BTC ATM or a local seller.

I'm less impressed so far.  Customer service is what makes a business in the financial services arena.

Bitcoin Brokers seem to be always having coins available and provide great service with same-day coins whenever I need them in a hurry.  They have become a reliable source with concierge customer service.  Coinbase could learn a LOT from those guys. 
Heck if Coinbase is such a player, they should probably buy Bitcoin Brokers outright and put them in charge of customer relations for both systems, that would be a win-win.

techbytes
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1054

Point. Click. Blockchain

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:46:42 PM

Here is another one.  My bitcoin was suppose to clear today but instead got an email from coinbase saying order canceled due to high risk.  10 BTC at $208 was a steal but I guess coinbase doesn't like their end of the deal.

I'm done with coinbase.

-tb-

axilla

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 02:23:07 PM

I am in Los Angeles, and I sympathize, as I am also working through issues with Coinbase's trust algorythm.  

I came across your post accidentally through a search looking for similar issues, so I may be too late to assist, but happy to do so if I am not.

=============
Why was my order "High Risk" and cancelled?
Last Updated: May 15, 2013 07:04PM PDT
Because of the inherent risks that accompany selling bitcoin (an irreversible payment system) with traditional payment methods (which are reversible), we use machine learning algorithms to determine the probability of a purchase being fraudulent. We do this for the protection of consumers and Coinbase alike.

These algorithms are still being tweaked and are not perfect. If you've been unfairly flagged, we genuinely apologize.  Our prediction abilities get better every single day, and false positives are an unfortunate but necessary part of the learning process. If you believe that you've had an order incorrectly cancelled, contact us at “support@coinbase.com” and we can manually review the transaction.
How come then there has been not a single order "canceled due to high risk" when the price of bitcoin has gone DOWN since initiating the buy. The answer: there is none. Coinbase cancels purchases when they see fit and when prices of bitcoins rise rapidly, thus padding their pockets further because coinbase buys/sells the instant you buy/sell with them, preserving they make 1% margin. If they cancel a purchase after the price has risen from $100 to $106 then they can sell that bitcoin they already sold for a higher price to their coinbase users. THAT is why they cancel them. Please do feel free to show MULTIPLE examples of them canceling orders where the price has decreased drastically, and I will remove this post.

100% truth made many instant purchase from coinbase.. Price went from $180 to $260 and all of a sudden I'm not instant(no visa) and my transaction is high risk.. Refused to honor agreed upon price.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 02:28:30 PM

You have to manage your risk and they have to manage theirs.

Keep in mind that it is yet another online wallet.  inputs.io went caput this week, there is nothing perfect.

I'm usually in LA and also there is an online exchange based in LA: CoinMKT.com so there are plenty of places to buy bitcoins if you need them.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: