Bitcoin Forum
November 19, 2018, 06:37:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.0 [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Antminer S9 surge protection  (Read 247 times)
James88215

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:37:48 AM

Hey, so I've got an Antminer S9 on the way, thought I had everything needed to start mining, then I got to thinking about surge protection. In the case of a power outage, which happens here from time to time, would the miner be okay or would there be possible damage when the power came back on? I will be running it off of 240V using the Bitmain APW3++ power supply on a 20 amp breaker. I can't seem to really find any surge protectors for 240V that have the right plugs. The receptacle is a NEMA 6-20R. The APW3++ lists some protection features, but I'm not sure it would be okay just with the power simple going off, then coming back on. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-James.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
almighty_lama2

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:42:10 AM

I don't think the miner will handle surge protection, what about handling it on your outlets? The miner wont break just for losing power if there are no surges.
James88215

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:47:50 AM

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do is find some kind of surge protector that will plug into the outlet... I don't think it's safe to plug the APW3++ straight into the outlet with no surge protection in between, but maybe it will be okay. Just don't want to damage such an expensive mining rig.
almighty_lama2

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:53:10 AM

get a device of this type https://www.amazon.com/CHSPT2ULTRA-Ultimate-Protection-Length-Height/dp/B01AQAKRSS and put it between the wall and the miner, you should be protected, but you are right don't expose such expensive hardware to these risks.
timk225

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:25:29 AM

There are surge protectors that go in your breaker panel, I have seen them for the top end Cutler Hammer CH panels, at least.  Whole house surge protector is what it's called.

I think running a big battery backup might be ok, like an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500, but they aren't cheap and buying them for multiple miners is not cost effective.  Couldn't run more than one miner per 1500 backup anyhow.
t0nyst4r

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:37:10 AM

Another possible solution for 1 S9:

1. https://www.pduwhips.com/products/2027-l6-20p-to-c13-plug-adapter.aspx

and this

2. https://www.tripplite.com/support/euro4
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 07:39:20 PM

I installed a surge arrestor in my distribution box and the building has surge protection too

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
btc-haze

Activity: 45

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 12:52:29 AM

A APC PDU already has surge protection correct ?
t0nyst4r

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 07:08:42 PM

Probably not, depends on the model. It would have to explicitly state that it does as a feature, otherwise it doesn't.

Note: there is a difference between surge protection/suppression and a circuit breaker. Some of these PDU's come only with a circuit breaker which wouldn't protect the devices from a power surge coming in like actual surge protection would. Many of the PDU's don't come with either surge protection or even a circuit breaker.

"Circuit breakers keep wires from starting a fire. Circuit breakers are necessary."

"Surge protectors protect electrical appliances from voltage spikes."
James88215

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:39:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am going to take almighty_lama2's advice and buy the Eaton whole house surge protection unit, and install it in my breaker box. I also purchased this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LCFH3H0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as it seems to be the only thing I can find that you can plug into a 240V outlet that offers surge suppression/protection. Hopefully it will handle the 6 amps and 1600 watts that the S9 will be constantly drawing.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 11:22:01 PM

Surge protesters aren't necessary since they power supply will convert the input voltage down to acceptable ranges. It is your surge protector. The input range is 200-240v because it can handle variable input. It will not pass the surge through down to 12v, it will go into protect on its own if the input voltage spikes.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
btc-haze

Activity: 45

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 12:43:55 AM

Surge protesters aren't necessary since they power supply will convert the input voltage down to acceptable ranges. It is your surge protector. The input range is 200-240v because it can handle variable input. It will not pass the surge through down to 12v, it will go into protect on its own if the input voltage spikes.

What if the spike is higher ? Say 300v, it should still fry your PSU only in theory.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:18:34 PM

What if the spike is higher ? Say 300v, it should still fry your PSU only in theory.

If the spike is higher you have some serious electrical problems and shouldnt be running anything that expensive off of such bad power.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.