Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:25:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin wallet, cant remember the password  (Read 423 times)
Low Sigma

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Algorithmic Trader

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:13:40 AM

Not sure, just throwing something here: maybe you had an invisible character at the end of password?
Like a new line:  \n

Also if you double click(in order to select) the first part of this password: abcd123%4abcd, then only "abcd123" will be selected. That is because the % is a different char.
I don't know if it's the same in Windows.

I tried leaving a space adn then 2 spaces at the end and nothing.

Thanks very much for the insight, so you are saying, as the password is Hanqtr%7abcz3$3%9&bnxklAqripBvz5^ahwtGhqrweU, so what would become?

It depends where you double click. For instance if I double click over the "Aqr", then only the entire "bnxklAqripBvz5" is selected, the rest is trimmed. I don't know if this is the same in Windows.

Btw, for your security I hope that this is not your original password but a similar one!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Metroid (OP)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:17:01 AM

Did you try Hanqtr%7abcz3$3%9&bnxklAqripBvz5^ahwtGhqrweU/n (/n is the "space")

Did you copy it from notepad or notepad++?

No i did not try that, I can't try it now, will try in few hours. Let's see, maybe it could work. I dont remember which one i used, i have always used notepad++ too but at that moment I just can't remember.

It depends where you double click. For instance if I double click over the "Aqr", then only the entire "bnxklAqripBvz5" is selected, the rest is trimmed. I don't know if this is the same in Windows.

Btw, for your security I hope that this is not your original password but a similar one!

That is really my password hehe, there is no way somebody will hack me and steal my wallet.dat and if they do and they crack it using what i gave then they deserve it ehhe. The reason i posted my original password was that i need help.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
racquemis

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:20:42 AM

Did you try Hanqtr%7abcz3$3%9&bnxklAqripBvz5^ahwtGhqrweU/n (/n is the "space")

Did you copy it from notepad or notepad++?

No i did not try that, I can't try it now, will try in few hours. Let's see, maybe it could work. I dont remember which one i used, i have always used notepad++ too but at that moment I just can't remember.

I don't know how BTC core handles if you copy a regex with it and if it's even possible.
You can read the regex codes here: http://docs.notepad-plus-plus.org/index.php/Regular_Expressions

copy paste your password to notepad and notepad++ and see if there is a space at the end in both
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:22:49 AM

I don't know how BTC core handles if you copy a regex with it and if it's even possible.
You can read the regex codes here: http://docs.notepad-plus-plus.org/index.php/Regular_Expressions

copy paste your password to notepad and notepad++ and see if there is a space at the end in both

Yeah that is something to try it out.

lstjqsjjpdzs

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:59:23 AM

Copy-and-paste errors are common. Try these.
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:19:42 AM

Copy-and-paste errors are common. Try these.

Thank you, will try them.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16326

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 07:23:54 AM

The bitcoin core program wallet should tell you the password you are typing, typed or copy and pasted. That way cases like this would never exist.
That would create much bigger problems: anybody could read it from your screen!
The common solution against typing errors is to enter the password twice, but just to be sure, I always test if I can unlock my wallet anyway.

maybe the password could be a wallet address cause I remember i sent many coins to mt-gox and after that I encrypted the wallet.
Your best odds are to reproduce everything you've ever copy/pasted. You're in luck if it's a used Bitcoin address, as they're all public information and can be extracted from the blockchain.

Brute force is the only thing that would work here, given bitcoin price now and what it could reach and quantum computers, maybe now is hard but in few years or decades would be possible
With 44 random characters you don't stand a chance, unless a vulnerability in the encryption will be found in the future.

Not sure, just throwing something here: maybe you had an invisible character at the end of password?
Like a new line:  \n
You could be on to something here: Notepad and Wordpad handle those in a different way. You could even try installing the same Windows version, just in case (even though it's a long shot, it's a lot more likely than brute forcing it).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 11:13:01 AM

With 44 random characters you don't stand a chance, unless a vulnerability in the encryption will be found in the future.

Like a new line:  \n
You could be on to something here: Notepad and Wordpad handle those in a different way. You could even try installing the same Windows version, just in case (even though it's a long shot, it's a lot more likely than brute forcing it).

Yeah, right now is a lost case but I will try cause maybe the password I set is not a 44 characters, maybe much less, I really dont remember what happened, also if I cant crack it now then maybe in few years. Who knows what will be the price of the bitcoin by then hehe.

TechPriest

Activity: 377
Merit: 282

Finis coronat opus

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:45:57 PM

Yeah, right now is a lost case but I will try cause maybe the password I set is not a 44 characters, maybe much less, I really dont remember what happened, also if I cant crack it now then maybe in few years. Who knows what will be the price of the bitcoin by then hehe.

You must hope that some security bug in core client will appear. Without it will be hard to do something. So it's good to think before doing so important actions (like encrypting your wallet). I can't understand why you not copied it paper sheet or something like that.

In science we trust!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: