Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:06:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin wallet, cant remember the password  (Read 423 times)
Metroid (OP)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:10:31 AM

Hello all, is there a way to crack a 44 characters passphrase with brute force? sadly I have no idea how many characters there were really on the passphrase cause I used the copy and paste with the mouse and i'm not sure if I copied the paraphrase I was supposed to use as paraphrase, I tried the paraphrase with 44 characters and it does not work. So I have no idea what could be the paraphrase. 3 bitcoins in the wallet, right now is worth almost $60k, back in the days, was worth $40.

Also I tried many combinations and nothing, when copying space can be a problem and also the special characters may have been different than what is now. There is one of each $%^& and I think they could be the problem. I was using the US windows 7 64 bit version at that time, British keyboard. Well I guess if I cant crack it now, maybe one day, anybody with ideas, any help is welcome, I can throw some money to anybody that helps me to crack this if successful.

I really can't remember what happened, it was on January 2013.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
racquemis

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:13:37 AM

I have this software on my PC: https://www.thegrideon.com/bitcoin-password-recovery.html

You can use your own password and set a keyboard layout and choose tyypos (also for characters like %$&) and let it bruteforce

EDIT: https://www.thegrideon.com/keyboard-layout.html this is what you want
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:32:32 AM

Thank you. I think it might be related to the special characters, maybe instead of them, it is a different character. I guess i will be trying.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16316

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 10:18:46 AM

Hello all, is there a way to crack a 44 characters passphrase with brute force?
Brute force you won't have a chance, with a smart attack like racquemis says it might work.

I was using the US windows 7 64 bit version at that time, British keyboard
Can you buy the same keyboard and try to reproduce what you did at the time?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:48:22 AM

Hello all, is there a way to crack a 44 characters passphrase with brute force?
Brute force you won't have a chance, with a smart attack like racquemis says it might work.

I was using the US windows 7 64 bit version at that time, British keyboard
Can you buy the same keyboard and try to reproduce what you did at the time?

Well racquemis said to use the same password and brute force it hehe, i guess his program tries many combinations.

About the keyboard, not sure if is related cause it was a copy paste password from a written password on notepad, i remember i checked 2 times and then I applied the password to encrypt the wallet and then after few days I went back and the paraphrase could not work, so i left it alone since 2013. As it was a copy paste password, i'm not sure if special characters printed something else, is hard to say. I'm trying now cause is worth some work for almost $60k hehe

I was reading about this https://www.ccn.com/researchers-describe-easy-way-crack-bitcoin-wallet-passwords/

https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/103.pdf

LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 11:12:36 AM

About the keyboard, not sure if is related cause it was a copy paste password from a written password on notepad, i remember i checked 2 times and then I applied the password to encrypt the wallet and then after few days I went back and the paraphrase could not work, so i left it alone since 2013. As it was a copy paste password, i'm not sure if special characters printed something else, is hard to say. I'm trying now cause is worth some work for almost $60k hehe
For this reason, I always type at least part of the password I copy/paste when I enter it the second time for verification. This ensures I'm not accidentally copying something else.

Do you by any chance have a backup of your wallet.dat from before the encryption?

When you said "Bitcoin wallet", I assumed you have a wallet.dat file made by Bitcoin Core (or bitcoin-qt). This article is about brain wallets, cracking them doesn't target your wallet, it cracks random wallets.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:28:38 PM

For this reason, I always type at least part of the password I copy/paste when I enter it the second time for verification. This ensures I'm not accidentally copying something else.

Do you by any chance have a backup of your wallet.dat from before the encryption?

When you said "Bitcoin wallet", I assumed you have a wallet.dat file made by Bitcoin Core (or bitcoin-qt). This article is about brain wallets, cracking them doesn't target your wallet, it cracks random wallets.

Yes, I have backups of the wallet.dat. So what is the best alternative in my case? Any hope?

LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

Yes, I have backups of the wallet.dat. So what is the best alternative in my case? Any hope?
Is your oldest backup from before encrypting the wallet? If so, see what is says when you open it in Bitcoin Core.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:46:31 PM

Is your oldest backup from before encrypting the wallet? If so, see what is says when you open it in Bitcoin Core.

No. I have only the encrypted wallet.dat and the password which I think is right. When I open, It shows the old transactions, sent and received. Balance 0 hehe, I need to sync with the blockchain first i guess, is not synchronized yet and that will take a while, 145gb.

However, I think even if the wallet.dat is not synchronized yet, the wallet.dat would be decrypted without any problem, Am I right or no?

warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:23:53 PM

44 characters. That's heavy work there. The more characters, the longer it will take. And if you no longer remember even part of the password's composition, it's probably almost impossible to brute force it. Since you have no idea how many characters exactly were in that password, this further complicates an already complicated situation.

Assuming 44, the permutations are staggering. With a super computer working on it nonstop, 50 years later there is still no end in sight.

If there were no symbols and numbers and if you used dictionary words alone, you might stand a chance. A remote chance but a small flicker of hope.

TechPriest

Activity: 377
Merit: 282

Finis coronat opus

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:03:00 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 05:07:13 PM by TechPriest

Assuming 44, the permutations are staggering. With a super computer working on it nonstop, 50 years later there is still no end in sight.

I would say that if password uses A3 alphabet (all possible characters on your keyboard. It's 77 symbols as i remembered) it's about 77^44 combinations. I think it will take more than 50 years  Grin Much more.
here calculations: 77^44 = (77^4)^11.  (35153041)^11.  
to bruteforce (35153041)^2 with 40M pass per second (it's high speed) needed 30893407 seconds. It's 357 days. For ^3 you will be need 1*35153041 years, for ^4 you will be need (357*35153041)*35153041 years, so it's (35153041)^9 = trillions years. Yeah, we have a little trouble here. Need immortal potion.

In science we trust!
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:12:40 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 10:25:40 PM by Metroid

You see, that is the thing, I mean I really dont know what the hell happened, the password could be anything I copied too, I know I copy and pasted but maybe the copy and paste inside the program was something else. The bitcoin core program wallet should tell you the password you are typing, typed or copy and pasted. That way cases like this would never exist. I mean, for example winrar, you can see the password you copy pasted or typed and click okay, in this case here maybe it could have been anything really, within the program. For example, the copy paste on few programs are not the same as the copy paste on other programs or windows, see that is the problem, to tell you the truth, maybe the password could be a wallet address cause I remember i sent many coins to mt-gox and after that I encrypted the wallet. I will try something tonight. Brute force is the only thing that would work here, given bitcoin price now and what it could reach and quantum computers, maybe now is hard but in few years or decades would be possible, at any case i will keep trying for fun ehhe, i mean the value now is $60k but back on the days it was just $40 so is not a big deal. Now if I had bought right now and had this problem then i would be pissed off.

TechPriest

Activity: 377
Merit: 282

Finis coronat opus

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:22:26 PM

I will try something tonight.

And 182 271 nights after that if you still thinking about bruteforce.
what alphabet you used? With all symbols or not? Did you used RNG or your brain for creating this password? (it's important condition)

In science we trust!
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:30:45 PM

I just typed randomly on notepad, saved the text on a file and copied and pasted on bitcoin core paraphrase. After few days I went to send these 3 bitcoins to mt-gox and went to copy and paste on to decrypt the wallet.dat and nothing, it would not work, I did not bother after few tries and never tried it again, only trying now cause is a lot of money eheh.

This is the password, Hanqtr%7abcz3$3%9&bnxklAqripBvz5^ahwtGhqrweU, as you can see there are many special characters.

MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:31:08 PM

The thread owner wont download this, he has just forgot his password and is probably not so dumb to download a software of a low rank guy who is claming to have the solution.

Beware.

Bruteforce? are you serious? it might take more than months to try to make it work, it wont go through in just a few minutes or seconds just like you are expecting.

You can use your own password and set a keyboard layout and choose tyypos (also for characters like %$&) and let it bruteforce

There was a code in github about the password recovery, i will see if i can find it and i will post it here soon.

Hello
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:32:40 PM

The thread owner wont download this, he has just forgot his password and is probably not so dumb to download a software of a low rank guy who is claming to have the solution.

Beware.

Bruteforce? are you serious? it might take more than months to try to make it work, it wont go through in just a few minutes or seconds just like you are expecting.

There was a code in github about the password recovery, i will see if i can find it and i will post it here soon.

Yeah, I did not download it, there is no way to know if is legit. I have been here for a very long time and know how things are. I'm also a programmer.

I tried that program btcrecover cause the source code was provided and nothing, well given time maybe I could recover it.

Low Sigma

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Algorithmic Trader

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:39:43 PM

Not sure, just throwing something here: maybe you had an invisible character at the end of password?
Like a new line:  \n

Also if you double click(in order to select) the first part of this password: abcd123%4abcd, then only "abcd123" will be selected. That is because the % is a different char.
I don't know if it's the same in Windows.
racquemis

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:53:35 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2017, 12:06:10 AM by racquemis

Beware.

Are you a joke? This is not my software at all, i just use it and have a paid license... This software has been opted on this forum by hero members.

You must have a very small brain judging people by their "rank".... Mr "big shot Hero member"

Op:

If you install python https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
Or from a very trusted member here: https://walletrecoveryservices.com/
Metroid (OP)

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:09:12 AM

Not sure, just throwing something here: maybe you had an invisible character at the end of password?
Like a new line:  \n

Also if you double click(in order to select) the first part of this password: abcd123%4abcd, then only "abcd123" will be selected. That is because the % is a different char.
I don't know if it's the same in Windows.

I tried leaving a space adn then 2 spaces at the end and nothing.

Thanks very much for the insight, so you are saying, as the password is Hanqtr%7abcz3$3%9&bnxklAqripBvz5^ahwtGhqrweU, so what would become?

Op:

If you install python https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
Or from a very trusted member here: https://walletrecoveryservices.com/

I tried the btcrecover and 44 characters is really tough for it, it ran few times and stopped, tried many other things and nothing, too many characters. Thanks, any help is welcome and if i recover these bitcoins i will def repay any help here.

racquemis

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:12:06 AM

Did you try Hanqtr%7abcz3$3%9&bnxklAqripBvz5^ahwtGhqrweU/n (/n is the "space")

Did you copy it from notepad or notepad++?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: