Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:17:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0 / Wiring. Please help.  (Read 202 times)
SuperDerpBro (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:26:38 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 12:14:28 PM by SuperDerpBro

I am having a very hard time finding a concrete answer on if you have to use the molex connectors on the board if you are using powered USB risers, or not. Everything i find is just people arguing over it.

I am currently using a Corsair TX750M to power an entire 4x 1060 rig. I have two more 1060s and an ASRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0 on the way. I was planing on replacing the mobo, adding the 2 cards and using an EVGA PSU i have laying around to power the 2 new cards i am adding (And their risers).

All the risers i have on hand are molex. Since i am being told i cannot use the second PSU (EVGA) to power the risers of the new cards (only the 2 6pins on the cards) or the molex connections on the board. I wont have enough connections on the first PSU (Corsair TX750M) for the Molex on the board. I am already going to have to convert 2 SATA to Molex for the last two risers so they can be on the first PSU (Corsair TX750M).

Any tips would be very helpful!

EDIT: hmm according this i can power the riser and the GPU of the 2 new cards from the 2nd power supply? This is what i planned to do originally but i was told it was dangerous to not have all risers on the same PSU as the MB.
https://i.imgur.com/zfofGLR.png
Anyways, if i can do that safely, GREAT.. but what about the molex on the board?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NetopyrMan

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:57:56 AM

friend told me, that for this board, if you have powered risers or not, is better to use molexes on board with same psu that is attached to board (for nvidia) and (as he told me) you must have both molexes powered if you have amd cards

there is written in manual, that use molex when you have 3+ cards and both molexes when you have 6 gpus  ... and when you plugin both molexes iven if powered riser there will be no dmg to any component if you think about this Smiley

so you can plugin both molexes even if you have powered risers (dont know if this some change power consumption, but if yes then not much)
SuperDerpBro (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:29:07 PM

I guess im wondering why the board needs extra power if the cards are not receiving any power from the PCI slots. Seems like they are just there as left overs (or an option) from before there were powered risers. Manual says they need to be connected but seems like old info.
DevonMiner

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:37:32 PM

I guess im wondering why the board needs extra power if the cards are not receiving any power from the PCI slots. Seems like they are just there as left overs (or an option) from before there were powered risers. Manual says they need to be connected but seems like old info.

I'm running lots of these boards, all using powered risers with no extra power to the molex connectors to the board - all running sweetly with no issues.

If you see the warning notice to power the boards from the BIOS screen, just press 'n' and ignore it.

SuperDerpBro (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 12:58:00 PM

Awesome. Thank you DevonMiner.

So, is it safe to run 2 of the 6 risers and the same 2 gpus off of a 2nd PSU? OR do all risers need to be on the same PSU as the motherboard?
dnyt

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:40:41 PM

In a 2 Power Supply Setup I have all my risers connected to one PSU.
The GPU's can be spread over 2 or more PSU's but you should avoid connecting a single GPU onto multiple PSU's (6/8 Pin connector)

It is all DC Power so as long as you connect to the Same Ground you will have no problems, make sure you have proper grounding and use cables that are 3 prongs (Wall Grounding, Extension Cords, Power Strips and Power Cables)

SuperDerpBro (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 01:47:33 PM

What do you say to part 1 of this then.. https://i.imgur.com/zfofGLR.png ?

This shit is really confusing. Every person you talk to gives you a different answer. :/
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:16:55 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 02:42:39 PM by Vann

On researching connecting multiple PSU's safely , I came across multiple answers as well. Ultimately the one that made the most sense was to power everything connected to the motherboard with the same PSU, including all the 6-pin USB risers. The primary reasons given by several posts I came across from people claiming electrical experience was to ensure there is a strong ground connection between the PSU's and to make sure there is no voltage difference in the lines connected to the motherboard  by mixing power sources.

I have also confirmed with a multimeter that there IS a 3.3V and ground line coming from the PCI-E slot on the motherboard through the USB cable on the x1 connector to the riser, so claiming the risers are electrically isolated from the motherboard is FALSE.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=443540.msg4878774#msg4878774

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1761303.msg17827649#msg17827649

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1761303.msg17827649#msg17827649
SuperDerpBro (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 05:29:41 PM

Well.. i am at a loss.

I have asked multiple places and multiple people. An equal amount of people say the opposite of what you just said (complete with fancy diagrams showing the exact opposite of yours) as the ones who agree with you. Seems like basic science. Guess i will need to get a degree in electrical engineering to ever get an answer for myself. But even then half my new peers in the electrical engineer world will disagree with whatever i decide.

I'm gonna do what i originally planned and see what fucking happens lol

Huh Huh Huh Huh
pyoc70

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:16:08 PM

hi Friends
i am facing card detection problem on asrock h81 R2.0

Need help ?

how to unable 4 g decoding in bios

after instaling blockchain driver i am only see 3 cards detedcted, what i am missing?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: