Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:44:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction stuck for +24hrs despite a decent fee  (Read 161 times)
DawsoNidas (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:41:07 PM

I recently bought off bitcoin off a local exchange and I received the certain amount yesterday@ 1pm EEST. I tried ViaBtc but to no avail and I also don't have any additional funds to pay for a tx acceleration. What can I do except wait for who knows how long? This is the tx:

17251d352922f5453bdbf2fc75d21c867f20dbb6974237f5c6164fb0a046a6a6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 01:42:08 PM

I recently bought off bitcoin off a local exchange and I received the certain amount yesterday@ 1pm EEST. I tried ViaBtc but to no avail and I also don't have any additional funds to pay for a tx acceleration. What can I do except wait for who knows how long? This is the tx:

17251d352922f5453bdbf2fc75d21c867f20dbb6974237f5c6164fb0a046a6a6

there are several problems with this transaction
The biggest being that it's part of a chain of unconfirmed transactions. Your transaction can only end up in a block after all unconfirmed parents ended up in a block!

In your case, your transaction will only be confirmed AFTER:
761a296f4186acf06e7569253b89c835b0b8cb2321e0ad7d0a85893639dc65b4 and 6e517de18049302ff28544dace215dd1ac4df5dd185b69f6676c1095be97ca1b

The second problem is that altough you say your transaction has sufficient fees, it has not... https://bitcoinfees.earn.com/ recommands a fee of 730 sat/byte for a 95% chance of ending up in the next 3 blocks. Your tx AND the 2 parent tx's have a fee between 330 and 370 sat/byte... I know, in fiat terms that's a LOT of money, but it just isn't sufficient at this point in time.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DawsoNidas (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 02:17:17 PM

So because of the incompetent people who operate this particular exchange i could end up waiting even more? I guess waiting it out is the only option?
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 02:21:35 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2017, 12:51:20 AM by achow101

So because of the incompetent people who operate this particular exchange i could end up waiting even more? I guess waiting it out is the only option?

indeed... The only other option is to create a CPFP, a fourth transaction paying the fee of the 3 unconfirmed transactions AND the fourth transaction.
The basic idear is that a miner can only collect the fee of the fourth transaction IF he adds the 3 stuck parent transactions in the same block. In this case you'll end up paying everybody else's fee, but your transaction WILL get confirmed.

An alternative, political, idear is to put pressure on the exchange's support dept. They created this mess, let them fix it...

you can use these tools to make your transactions get confirmed faster :

https://viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/
[mod edit - suspicious download removed]
http://confirmtx.com/

sometimes it doesn't works too due to limits and rules they have, but hope it works anyway. good luck!
ViaBTC is real, they only have 100 free slots/hour tough, i no longer bother trying, chances of getting your tx pushed are astronomically small. In the OP's case, it's useless anyway, viabtc does not accept tx's with unconfirmed parents.

confirmtx: i've not seen any real evidence of this one working

That exe you linked to: no idear what it is, i don't open untrusted executables.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DawsoNidas (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:33:02 PM

I sent a support and ticket and it was answered pretty fast. They said they didn't expect the fees to rise so fast in such a short time and recommended I should wait for the transaction to clear. It's also impossible not to receive my btc, right?
racquemis

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:34:48 PM

I sent a support and ticket and it was answered pretty fast. They said they didn't expect the fees to rise so fast in such a short time and recommended I should wait for the transaction to clear. It's also impossible not to receive my btc, right?

The fee is 345/B so i think it should confirm eventually.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 07:05:28 AM

Well....
As much as i'd like to say you shouldn't worry, i'd be lying...
IF the sender is an honest person, chances of things ending badly are small tough, and a swift reply to a support ticket is usually a good sign.

Basically: your unconfirmed transaction (and it's unconfirmed parents) are now sitting in the mempools of many nodes. However, the default node setting is to remove unconfirmed transactions from it's mempool after 3 days. If most of the network's nodes forgot about your transaction, the network will act like it never existed in the first place... If your transaction isn't in most of the mining nodes mempools anymore, chances of it confirming will drastically reduce (eventually to 0% chance).
This isn't a complete disaster... If you save the raw transactions, you can always rebroadcast them (if the sender is an honest person or company, they might even rebroadcast unconfirmed transactions themselfs).

The bigger problem lies in the fact that as long as the unconfirmed transaction chain doesn't end up in a block, there is always a possibility the sender re-uses the unspent output he used as an input for your transaction in a transaction with a higher fee. If he agressively broadcasts this second transaction, and it ends up in a block, your transaction will be "cancelled"... It becomes invalid the second the double spending transaction ends up in a block.

But, like racquemis already said: the fee is high(ish) enough for your transaction to end up in a block sooner or later, and if the sender is an honest company, chances of things going sour are slim... I'd still save the raw transactions from the chain tough, just in case i'd need to rebroadcast them. In order to do this, look up the transactions on my site: https://www.mocacinno.com/page/getraw

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████