Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:46:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 ... 586 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast announces specs for new ASIC: 400GH/s  (Read 880232 times)
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:20:56 AM

This is a heads up: If they run the OS from the build-in SD card it's likely gonna fail sooner or later (filesystem damages) and will have to be re-imaged, as happened to the bitfury machines. So be prepared to swap any failing SD cards.

Is that prevalent? I read somewhere that it's due to the way people restart/shutdown their systems.

@ninjarobot - is  minepeon somehow inherently better at this, does it use the file system less? As far as I'm aware none of these custom linux distros were designed for an embedded environment and hence make normal use of the file system.
Yes - file system errors occur when the system is "stopped" in the wrong moment e.g. during a blackout or an abnormal shutdown. The prevalence of this occurring depends on the frequency of any abnormal shutdowns and the intensity of file operations occurring... In any event there is a finite chance. That's why I switched to NFS based root fs long ago and I use the SD card only for the boot instructions.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 07:25:53 AM

This is a heads up: If they run the OS from the build-in SD card it's likely gonna fail sooner or later (filesystem damages) and will have to be re-imaged, as happened to the bitfury machines. So be prepared to swap any failing SD cards.

Is that prevalent? I read somewhere that it's due to the way people restart/shutdown their systems.

@ninjarobot - is  minepeon somehow inherently better at this, does it use the file system less? As far as I'm aware none of these custom linux distros were designed for an embedded environment and hence make normal use of the file system.
Yes - file system errors occur when the system is "stopped" in the wrong moment e.g. during a blackout or an abnormal shutdown. The prevalence of this occurring depends on the frequency of any abnormal shutdowns and the intensity of file operations occurring... In any event there is a finite chance. That's why I switched to NFS based root fs long ago and I use the SD card only for the boot instructions.

Can you point me to a HOW-TO on this subject? (ie NFS based root fs)

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:30:17 AM

HF finally replied to my email. About MPP custom costs:
3) MPP declared values have not been finalized though, most likely they will be the base cost for replacement if lost but a $0 charged to the customer. This is still in the works though and not finalized.

@allinvain, http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/628/how-do-i-configure-the-raspberry-pi-to-boot-with-an-nfs-root

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:33:39 AM

Here's a start:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251966.msg3267060#msg3267060

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:35:38 AM

The RPi isn't powerful enough to run a 'fancy web gui' and cgminer is terminal-based. I'm trying to get DrHaribo and Tacotime development boards, so users who don't like cgiminer will have GUI-based options.
If you are using php 3 with a bloated framework and mysql 4 with millions of rows and no indexes, yes, that would be the case.

If you are using anything more powerful than a RPi to run the web interface, regardless of how fancy it has to be, you are an idiot. And i'm looking forward for when you ship the BJ to see how much of an idiot you are.

(this adds to the list of inverted airflow in the sierra case, on the PSU that in your case standing to cyperdoc had the fan inverted because it was special, and something else more recent that i can't remember but that was even worse).

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:00:46 AM

I would rather just run a computer next to the BJ's and run a usb cable to them..  this is possible right?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
fubly

Activity: 561
Merit: 521

Trustless IceColdWallet

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 08:19:20 AM

@ninjarobot, if only you had brought a microphone with you that day... (btc refunds)...

>Why 400 we have 570 BJ in Batch one.
270 where converted to Sierra cases? (the 200 BJ order, mine's, and someone else's?)

Did you convert it? I was answering them the same and got this reply from HF

each time you send a transaction don't forget to use a new address, each time you receive one also!
HashFast_CL

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

HashFast Community Liaison

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 08:22:37 AM

I would rather just run a computer next to the BJ's and run a usb cable to them..  this is possible right?

Yes, Baby Jets may be controlled by any computer equipped with a USB port and running cgminer.

"Bitcoin enables ordinary people to fight back, to avoid and evade snooping governments, which enact, use and abuse laws that allow them, without due process, to investigate, tax, control and seize privately owned assets."  -   Leon Louw

“We can say without equivocation that firms like MasterCard, Visa and the TBTF banks like JPMorgan and Goldman hate the idea of ever having to compete for business again. They have grown comfortable in their corrupt world of writing laws for themselves without any regulatory oversight. They enjoy the exorbitant privilege of bilking the American economy with extortionary transaction rates. They are scared of Bitcoin. And they should be. It offers transparency, cost efficiency and anonymity.” - Max Kaiser
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:25:30 AM

No, i didn't received a Sierra for free, every time i talk about the sierra in this thread i talk about the case. I had more than 3 BJ, and i was lucky enough to have them converted to number of BJ/3 sierras. It's really only the case.

Every and each time that they claim that you received the MPP for free, i have to reply that this was not the case for me. I ordered only after two major events: the MPP and the Tapeout. It's only thanks to those two that batch 1 was sold out. And they know that. Another thing that they regardless like to do is to make you feel guilty "you already received the MPP, shut up".

Visesrion

Activity: 826
Merit: 314

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:34:38 AM

@ninjarobot, if only you had brought a microphone with you that day... (btc refunds)...

>Why 400 we have 570 BJ in Batch one.
270 where converted to Sierra cases? (the 200 BJ order, mine's, and someone else's?)

Did you convert it? I was answering them the same and got this

Even you try just to change the CASE of the BJ for a sierra one in order to fit into a normal dc racks, the answer will be a big NO

This is hashfast  Angry

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
             █████████████████                   █████████████████
         █████████████████████████           █████████████████████████
       █████████████████████████████       █████████████████████████████
     █████████████████████████████████   █████████████████████████████████
   ████████████▀           ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
  ████████████▄▄███████████▄▄█████████▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████
 ▐██████████████▀         ▀██████████▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████▄▄█████████▄▄█████████▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
▐█████████████████▀      ▀██████████▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████▄▄██████▄▄█████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████      ███████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███████████████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████ ████ ████████████▓▓▓▓▓████████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████ ████ ████████████▓▓▓▓▓███████████████    ████████████████
  █████████████████ ████ █████████████▓▓▓████████████████   █████████████   █
   ████████████████      ███████████████████████████████    ███████████
    ██████████████████████████████████ ██████████████████     ████████
      ███████████████████████████████     █████████████████
        ███████████████████████████         █████████████████▓
           ████████████████████                ███████████████████▓
               ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████████████████
▓████████████████████████████████▓
███████████████████████▒░███████████
▄█████████████████▒░      ███████████▄
█████████████░░          ░████████████
█████████░              ░█████████████
██████████▓░░          ░██████████████
██████████████▓░       ███████████████
▀███████████████▒     ░██████████████▀
████████████████▒   ░███████████████
████████████████░ ░███████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
 ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
JOIN OUR
TELEGRAM
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:36:09 AM

Even you try just to change the CASE of the BJ for a sierra one in order to fit into a normal dc racks, the answer will be a big NO
This is hashfast  Angry
Did you have 3 or more BJ and when did you ask for this? I asked in september...

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 08:38:29 AM

Here's a start:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251966.msg3267060#msg3267060

cedivad and Jutarul thank you both. These will come in handy when I experience the first sdcard failure.

monsieur

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

knc-shill-wannabe

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:45:28 AM

Hey ice,  you have any contacts at hash fast?  They seem to have gone MIA during the home stretch.

There are million things to take care of during the home stretch.

Adding personnel to the customer support team is one of them.   Tongue

I'm sure they are swamped with orders, inquiries, etc. because of all the BTC hype in general and their spectacular 500GH/sec/chip achievement in particular.
Whats interesting is the long term charts show that BTC is heading way down in price. It will tick up one last time, then comes the nose dive. That is a good thing for those of us holding cash. A bad thing for those holding BTC.

what indicators do you have for making bold predictions like that?  how can you predict 'just one spike' ?  and how do you predict 'heading way down' ?

since you've mentioned both an up, and a down, i presume you won't be wrong, since a volatile asset like btc will always fulfil those indications.

I won't post any graphs or graphics since I don't want to give away anything helpful. But read your stochastics at different intervals and then compare with MACD indicators at different scales of time.

It is obvious. The whales with the most BTC are waiting for one last rise then comes the big dump as the whales will drop their BTC into the markets (and pick up fiat to hold). People like me are looking to buy up BTC at Sub 400$ prices.

Edit: If you haven't already, I would recommend during the next rise you keep at least 7k to 10k cash on hand to ride out the bottoming out over the next 2 months or so. (daily/monthly expenses etc) (So you don't have to convert BTC at extremely cheap rates)

It will likely go up again, it usually does. Corrections are just the way of the market.

Wow, this was impressive prediction
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:48:38 AM

It was nothing special, other than being of topic, actually.
BTC price back to one month ago? What a crash! HF, we are gonna to sub 10$, please refund me my BTC. Thanks.

Visesrion

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:51:42 AM

This is hashfast  Angry
Did you have 3 or more BJ and when did you ask for this? I asked in september...

I asked when the sierra apeared. First I sugested as minimun compensation for the users of the batch 1, as I did not see the reason to produce a custom case for future batches and a oem pc case for first ones.

They "took in consideration" my opinion and that's it. Now as they do not offer hosting, every dc I looked up just acepts rack units, so I beg them to please change the case and I will pay it. The answer as usual

▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
 ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
JOIN OUR
TELEGRAM
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:53:28 AM

It not true, many datacenters accept as little as a 1U, you have 4U (the BJ case should anyway account for 4 units of space, anyway, some low level datacenters accepts case units and not only servers), for a sigle BJ, the best option could simply be to run it off your home power outlet.

Visesrion

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:59:46 AM

It not true, many datacenters accept as little as a 1U, you have 4U, however for a sigle BJ, the best option could simply be to run it off your home power outlet.
But the BJ comes in a standard pc case not in a rack one. So the 3-4 dc I looked up said they could not handle them. Anyways I have already found a nice hosting.
I asked for a sierra case to have all installed and clean in a dc when the MPP and the upgrade chip comes

▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
 ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
JOIN OUR
TELEGRAM
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 09:19:22 AM

It not true, many datacenters accept as little as a 1U, you have 4U, however for a sigle BJ, the best option could simply be to run it off your home power outlet.
But the BJ comes in a standard pc case not in a rack one. So the 3-4 dc I looked up said they could not handle them. Anyways I have already found a nice hosting.
I asked for a sierra case to have all installed and clean in a dc when the MPP and the upgrade chip comes

Will they just give you a Sierra case if you ask them for it at cost? Or is this something they did just for you on a one-time basis?

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:24:07 AM

For what it matters, john at the time said that it was natural that he offered me to switch to the sierra case, and that he had accepted every similar request from every other customer that asked... This is why i never tough of this as a one time basis thing, and never had a problem sharing it with everyone, when i tough HF to be legit...
Now we know that it was just another lie?

[end of useless ot for me]

Visesrion

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:25:52 AM

Will they just give you a Sierra case if you ask them for it at cost? Or is this something they did just for you on a one-time basis?

I offered them to pay the case when I asked for it, because we all know how it's HF at this time. They refused it anyways.
It may me just me, but I think that many others would prefer to have a rack case to be ready when the MPP comes and to fit better into a dc.

For what it matters, john at the time said that it was natural that he offered me to switch to the sierra case, and that he had accepted every similar request from every other customer that asked... This is why i never tough of this as a one time basis thing, and never had a problem sharing it with everyone, when i tough HF to be legit...
Now we know that it was just another lie?

[end of useless ot for me]

I have also sent the request to John on skype and in 8 days I did not get and answer

Let's stay ot yes  Smiley

▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
 ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
JOIN OUR
TELEGRAM
Pages: « 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 ... 586 »
  Print  

Jump to: