Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:33:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New S9: Problems Identifying Machine on Ethernet  (Read 147 times)
bdf (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 02:04:01 AM

Hello Everybody,

I have experienced an issue with a new S9 that I don't understand and don't know what to do about it. I hope you savvy folks can provide some feedback. So thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and feedback.

I now have 3 s9 machines and 2 Avalon 741s running/mining for almost 3 months now. I've been using strictly EVGA 1600W T2 power supplies for my machines up to now. They are expensive but very stable, solid, well equipped, and provide high efficiency power operating off 120VAC.

My Problem: A new S9 I got recently (this machine is from the November batch or so I understand.) I have been unable to "SEE" the machine on the network.                  

I connect the power supply, then connect the machine to my network via ethernet cable. So it's a wired connection to an 8 port switch, which is also a wired connection to the Internet Router I have (thru ATT). The same switch and router that my other 5 machines are working off.                   

So I power up the machine and observe. Shortly after powering, all normal operating lights on hash boards, and small LEDs near ethernet port come on and indicate normal operation. The s9 Machine itself starts to make that "signature" s9 noises that are typical once the machine is powered up, on the network and begins hashing. (In other words it sounds identical to my other working s9s). HOWEVER, the machine DOES NOT appear on my network, at least from what I can discern. It does not show itself on the router or the switch. I'm searching for an IP address to access the machine, but there is no IP or any network signature of any kind.                  

So I am at a loss. From my perspective, this s9 sounds like it should, and has it's external LED indicators appearing normal -- just like a machine hashing / operating normally. BUT the machine is not identified by the network. No IP address or any other indication of it's presence on the network.                   

In the process of trying to eliminate all possible connection related problems, I changed cables, changed power supplies, changed my switch, changed my powerline ethernet extenders, changed my router. No response of any kind and all other devices continue to operate normally.                  

My own speculative conclusions are:                   
1. either I don't know how to dig or see deep enough to find out if the miner REALLY IS on the network, OR                  
2. The IP address of the machine is somehow masked?? Is that possible?                  
3. The machine simply has some unknown faults and I need to have it serviced.

I have the impression that the machine operates as it should. But somehow is not seen on the network, but, but I have not been able to identify the machine on my network. I have not been able to get into the machine's software/firmware because I cannot see the machine's IP on the network.                   

I am definitely not savvy on networking operations. I am also only 3 months into operating these machines and I have only done minimal trouble shooting, so I am probably unaware of the typical issues that these machines may present which maybe can be worked through.    

Is there an alternate means of accessing the machine?  I noticed there is a microSD slot on the machine. Can I make use of that somehow? 

Has anyone experienced similar issue?

I am hoping there is something / procedure I need to use or do to "correct" whatever is going on in this machine.

I look forward to any feedback that is offered and I definitely appreciate your time and opinion!!                  
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
castiel0504

Activity: 266
Merit: 109

Ultra Mega Giga Super Cool Flying Oposum!

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:23:29 AM

Have you tried using program called "Advanced IP Scanner" to check if you can see that new miner on network, or did you manually tried to type number to access its UI?
FatAnt

Activity: 86

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:30:56 AM

Your S9 is probably set with a factory static IP address that is on a different subnet than your LAN.  

You could Restore Initial Settings as mentioned on 6.4/p.15/last page of the S9 Installation Guide.
S9 Installation Guide = https://www.antminerdistribution.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/AntMiner-S9-Installation-Guide.pdf
Try running the  IPReporter  app mentioned in Ch. 3 of the S9 Installation Guide.
It's supposed to find any powered up S9 on your LAN and show its IP address when you press the IP Report button on the S9.

You could temporarily connect only the new S9 and your laptop/PC to your router (using two LAN ports), power-cycle your router, then login to the router from your PC and check the client list.  An Asus RT-N16 router shows it from  Network Map, Clients, View List.
You should see only two devices (your laptop/PC and the S9)

Tools like Angry IP Scanner or Advanced IP Scanner will only find your S9 if it's already configured for your LAN subnet.

If that doesn't help, try searching this forum with "S9 IP Address" and check the discussions there.
bdf (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 04:49:09 AM

Thank you Castiel and FatAnt!!

Sounds like the right answer to me. I will attempt to do what you have suggested.

I will reply later to let you know if I am successful - THANKS very much!!

bdf (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:04:04 PM

Hey Guys,

It took multiple attempts and failed the first 10 times. Then it finally reported IP and that was all I needed. Now up and running just fine.

Thanks so much!!!

Merry Christmas!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: