Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:42:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: At what price do you think Bitcoins will begin to rebound?  (Read 10301 times)
peach (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:35:24 PM

and why?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:37:36 PM

$10.50... because that's what happened last time

Be humble!
DrYe5

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:40:20 PM

$0.50

Because that's value of real economy divided by currency supply + $0.49/Btc (~3.5 Million $) speculation.
Calibre

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:44:32 PM

It's going to be stuck at ~$10 for a long time, it will be the most stable it has ever been, then slowly drop lower as people realise that the cause is dead.

When the new currency arrives it will drop to $1.

I always chuckle when I read that Bitcoin will become worthless when a new currency arrives.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:44:59 PM

10.50 will not hold this time.  It might bounce, but it wont hold. JMHO.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:57:10 PM

It's going to be stuck at ~$10 for a long time, it will be the most stable it has ever been, then slowly drop lower as people realise that the cause is dead.

I always chuckle when I read that Bitcoin will become worthless when a new currency arrives.

Not sure if you have actually used the internet over the last 20 years, but usually when an idea comes along and it gets a decent following it isn't just copied, it's copied a LOT. It is inevitable that something Bitcoin inspired is going to come along.
Just because a new currency comes along doesn't mean it has value.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
aral

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Not sure if you have actually used the internet over the last 20 years, but usually when an idea comes along and it gets a decent following it isn't just copied, it's copied a LOT. It is inevitable that something Bitcoin inspired is going to come along.

Bitcoin is actually a pretty simple concept (although you don't appear to get it).  Its value is mostly not in the implementation of the idea but the community and the infrastructure surrounding it.  A new entrant can't just one day decide to unveil a shiny new decentralized currency.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:12:20 PM

Still would have to overcome first-mover advantage. That doesn't always occur.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:13:26 PM

Bitcoin is actually a pretty simple concept (although you don't appear to get it).  Its value is mostly not in the implementation of the idea but the community and the infrastructure surrounding it.  A new entrant can't just one day decide to unveil a shiny new decentralized currency.

And what magical advantage would this new currency have that BTC does not? To my knowledge, there exists no problems with the BTC protocol itself. What flaw will this new currency fix? Bitcoin works beautifully, it just needs more services and convenience built up around it, but this is happening as we speak and a new currency would suffer the same burden.
Calibre

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:26:00 PM

So if a new currency or three comes out everyone jumps ship and abandons the current one for something that has no guarantee of return in the short or long-term?
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 06:54:03 PM

I have some buys at $10, so I guess that is where I think the low will be.

Here's a cartoon showing what is going on:

Just replace "a stock" with "bitcoins".

muyoso

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:02:10 PM

And what magical advantage would this new currency have that BTC does not? To my knowledge, there exists no problems with the BTC protocol itself. What flaw will this new currency fix? Bitcoin works beautifully, it just needs more services and convenience built up around it, but this is happening as we speak and a new currency would suffer the same burden.

A competitor to bitcoins would almost instantly gain a huge following.  The instant I hear of one, I am jumping ship.  Why?  Because the difficulty will be extremely low and I will be able to mine tens if not hundreds of thousands of bytecoins or whatever they are called compared to 2 bitcoins a week.  The question is, why WOULDN'T people want to be early adopters of a new currency?  The people that jumped on bitcoin at the beginning have a vast majority of the bitcoins, who is going to pass up the opportunity to be one of those people?  Even if it turns out to be nothing, I have sacrificed what?  A few bitcoins?  Worth it.

I drink it up!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:05:05 PM

10.50 will not hold this time.  It might bounce, but it wont hold. JMHO.

I agree.  During the Gox downtime, I predicted $8 by August.  It will stick around $10 as the Bitcoin apologists desperately try to keep prices above single digits but this will be short lived.  Capitulation will hit when it falls into single digits.  

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Dow has been doing overwhelmingly good... perhaps when the dow bubble crashes.

Be humble!
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:19:11 PM

Given that in April one could buy a bitcoin for $1 or less, I think that we will see those sorts of prices again when the bitcoin bubble fully deflates.  Its been argued on another thread, analyzing comparative bubbles, that this one should be over by the end of August, 2011.

Note that I sold at $15.5 and have my cash at Mt Gox awaiting the bottom.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Still waiting for an improved copy of the e-mail idea...
TiagoTiago

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:58:18 PM

At least a week before i finally manage to finally get myself to buy some (the ones i already got weren't bought)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:58:40 PM

I'm hoping the rebound is now Smiley

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 08:01:14 PM

Last barrier was at around 10.25 the last time people panicked. I think that was a month ago.

After that it rebounded pretty fast, then it got stuck at 16-17 for a long time.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 08:03:04 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2011, 08:13:19 PM by koin

The question is, why WOULDN'T people want to be early adopters of a new currency?

oh, maybe: http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses#Attacker_has_a_lot_of_computing_power
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: