Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:35:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to send 0.1BTC I am asked 0.1BTC of network fee: how is possible?  (Read 200 times)
neuromancer74 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 05:57:38 AM

Trying to send 0.1BTC I am asked 0.1BTC of network fee: how is possible?
I have the last version of Bitcoin Core and recently I am unable to send BTC with reasonable network fees.
I guess this could be due to network congestion BUT it sounds very bad.
Under what circumstances a network fee can be as much as the amount of BTC transferred, or (as in my case) 0.1BTC?
Is this a BitcoinCore Bug?
Thanks in advance for the answer.
-D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16550

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 06:56:23 AM

Fees are currently very high. If you have approximately 50 different inputs worth 0.004BTC on average, you have 0.2BTC and half of that will be used for fee for a fast transaction.
At current fees, $30 per input is called "dust". It's rediculous, Bitcoin needs a scaling solution, but for now there's nothing we can do about it.

My advice: don't make the transaction now, just wait it out. Fees will most likely drop again at some point, and you can pay 5-10% of the current fees when that happens (on a quiet Sunday).

Addition: I think 0.1BTC is the maximum fee in Bitcoin Core. In case you have many more much smaller inputs, the fee won't drop that much. Did you receive many small transactions in the past?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
neuromancer74 (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:40:56 PM

Fees are currently very high. If you have approximately 50 different inputs worth 0.004BTC on average, you have 0.2BTC and half of that will be used for fee for a fast transaction.
At current fees, $30 per input is called "dust". It's rediculous, Bitcoin needs a scaling solution, but for now there's nothing we can do about it.

My advice: don't make the transaction now, just wait it out. Fees will most likely drop again at some point, and you can pay 5-10% of the current fees when that happens (on a quiet Sunday).

Addition: I think 0.1BTC is the maximum fee in Bitcoin Core. In case you have many more much smaller inputs, the fee won't drop that much. Did you receive many small transactions in the past?

Thanks for your answer: yes I receive small transactions every 5-6 days but I don't understand the correlation with the transaction fee when sending out BTCs.

Fees must be crazy now for sure: Two weeks ago I sent 0.05BTC with 0.0048BTC of fee for a quick transaction so I was very surprised of the sudden change.

Last question for you: are the small transactions received having an impact "forever" or only the last 3-6 months number of small transactions cause the hike you mentioned?

Thanks for the useful answers,
-d
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16550

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 06:50:13 PM

Thanks for your answer: yes I receive small transactions every 5-6 days but I don't understand the correlation with the transaction fee when sending out BTCs.
Fees depend on the transaction size, and more inputs means a larger transaction.

Fees must be crazy now for sure: Two weeks ago I sent 0.05BTC with 0.0048BTC of fee for a quick transaction so I was very surprised of the sudden change.
Bitcoin needs scaling, the network congestion is getting worse and worse for a long time now.

Last question for you: are the small transactions received having an impact "forever" or only the last 3-6 months number of small transactions cause the hike you mentioned?
Using small transactions will always lead to a certain transaction size, that won't change. I don't expect fees to remain this high, if it doesn't drop it simply means many people can't use Bitcoin anymore. A small transaction requires a $30 fee now, which is a week's salary in some countries!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
neuromancer74 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 02:10:31 AM

Fees depend on the transaction size, and more inputs means a larger transaction.

Bitcoin needs scaling, the network congestion is getting worse and worse for a long time now.

Using small transactions will always lead to a certain transaction size, that won't change. I don't expect fees to remain this high, if it doesn't drop it simply means many people can't use Bitcoin anymore. A small transaction requires a $30 fee now, which is a week's salary in some countries!

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: