Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:39:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current best powered risers available?  (Read 1767 times)
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 06:53:53 PM

Looks good. Miles better than I thought it would have. Actially looks better for getting access than the ones with the power at the back of the riser

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 08:39:43 PM

Thanks

These are shit ones i am using now. https://i.imgur.com/Ruzyv65.jpg

I am running 2 per Molex chain though. Figure its fine for 1060s at 80%

So are you saying i can mod dual molex to 6pin to single molex to 6pin? I have a tone of them. That would make buying risers MUCH easier.

I can only find single molex to 6pin, for a reasonable price, from China.. Dont want to wait that long. :/

2 molex risers per chain CAN be an issue - the connector is fine, the WIRING is often not enough to support 150 watts and in the case of EVGA they specify that the connection ON THE POWER SUPPLY END is only rated for 75.

It's possible to modify a "dual molex to PCI-E" adapter to use one MOLEX, but I don't recommend it unless you're an experienced tech and KNOW what you are doing.
 It's just easier to plug BOTH molex into the same MOLEX "string" from the power supply - since it's only ONE riser, it's not an "overload" issue.

There ARE folks that make "single MOLEX to PCI-E 6-pin" adapters though - I've got a few around that apparently were provided with video cards at some point, and went into my "keep this, it might be useful eventually" box.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 08:41:05 PM

Looks good. Miles better than I thought it would have. Actially looks better for getting access than the ones with the power at the back of the riser

It is - no "reach around AND UNDER issues, or "pull the card to get to it" issues.

Shouldn't matter on a reliable rig though.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
SuperDerpBro (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 01:55:51 AM

Thanks

These are shit ones i am using now. https://i.imgur.com/Ruzyv65.jpg

I am running 2 per Molex chain though. Figure its fine for 1060s at 80%

So are you saying i can mod dual molex to 6pin to single molex to 6pin? I have a tone of them. That would make buying risers MUCH easier.

I can only find single molex to 6pin, for a reasonable price, from China.. Dont want to wait that long. :/

2 molex risers per chain CAN be an issue - the connector is fine, the WIRING is often not enough to support 150 watts and in the case of EVGA they specify that the connection ON THE POWER SUPPLY END is only rated for 75.

It's possible to modify a "dual molex to PCI-E" adapter to use one MOLEX, but I don't recommend it unless you're an experienced tech and KNOW what you are doing.
 It's just easier to plug BOTH molex into the same MOLEX "string" from the power supply - since it's only ONE riser, it's not an "overload" issue.

There ARE folks that make "single MOLEX to PCI-E 6-pin" adapters though - I've got a few around that apparently were provided with video cards at some point, and went into my "keep this, it might be useful eventually" box.

Hmm.. every where i looked said it was preferable to use one per chain but two was fine *shrugs*

I have done plenty of molex 5v fan mods in my day. Doesn't seem like it would be much harder than that. I'll prob just end up getting 6 of the ones with all the connectors though.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 01:57:27 AM

The single to 6 plugs work (had them plugged into an undervolted SP20) but they do get a little bit hot if you're putting a lot of power through em. I would suggest the dual molex connectors whenever possible just for security. If you do use the single plug connectors, make sure the cables aren't getting too warm.
btcneodev

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 02:44:32 AM

Persoanlly i go for the ones with FOUR capacitors on. No particular brand or make as they are all basically the same. They all do a range of different connectors.

I also insist on four capacitors. I have some risers on hand that bought last time with four capacitors, it is much stable compared to three capacitors riser.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 04:33:30 AM

My friend has a farm and never had a problem with the 3 capacitors. Not even one from hundreds.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
dcjim1

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 04:57:23 AM

Hi guys,

Is it safe to connect molex or 6-pin cable directly to riser board?
As far as I read, the SATA/molex and SATA/6pin power adapters are the ones that should be avoided?

I bought a few riser boards with 6-pin power socket. Came with sata-6pin adapter cables. Should I be using them or try to connect a 6-pin cable directly from the psu 6-pin socket?

Thanks in advance, I also asked the same question in a few thread I posted regarding dual psu and riser boards.
SuperDerpBro (OP)

Activity: 141

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 12:15:17 PM

My friend has a farm and never had a problem with the 3 capacitors. Not even one from hundreds.

All of mine are 3 cap molex. To be fair, i haven't had a problem either. I have a couple cards that seem a tad slower than they "should be".. figured trying new risers might help. And then thought why not just upgrade them all hehe.
hozerdev

Activity: 50

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 05:27:48 PM

No it is not safe. Actually depends on the current draw through the wires. There were couple of incidents when I almost caught a fire.  On my first rig when I connected 3 risers with 3 sata/molex adapters, the temperature of wires was around 70C, luckily I have a infrared/thermal camera.  So never connect risers with adapters more then 2 in parallel. The other day the contact of one adapter burned out, and happily a rig just hanged. These adapters usually are cheap and wires gauge could be lower then needed.
One more example of what could possibly go wrong with the wires (don't related to the adapters): https://imgur.com/f1fkSCZ https://imgur.com/RZ8BH3R
This outlet was a first in line and nothing was plugged in it, the rig was connected to the last outlet in the line. The outlet was hot around 80C. So you can see someone, maybe the previous tenant, used wire connectors and wrong wire gauge to connect 15 amp outlet in 20amp line.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2017, 05:36:02 PM

I like Molex riser from Mintcell. And as I know riser ver.008 consumes lower 5W than ver.006.
So if you really care about power or difficult to make power plan, you could consider this. Also, I've just saw someone said riser ver.009 is available now, but I havent tested it yet.
gt_addict

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:11:45 PM

I like Molex riser from Mintcell. And as I know riser ver.008 consumes lower 5W than ver.006.
So if you really care about power or difficult to make power plan, you could consider this. Also, I've just saw someone said riser ver.009 is available now, but I havent tested it yet.

You got any proof about the ver008 using less power?

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

justchil

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:14:41 PM

You got any proof about the ver008 using less power?

Ahh beat me to it Cheesy

Where is the data showing they use 5W less.  I hear from reputable miners these v8's are good... I use 6pin so it makes for a little extra mess in wiring but 5w on a lot of cards is a good deal of power saved.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:24:13 PM

I expect more from Hero and members. Use search. It's on the manufacturers website, Want more proof contact manf.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:19:29 PM

Hi guys,

As far as I read, the SATA/molex and SATA/6pin power adapters are the ones that should be avoided?

I bought a few riser boards with 6-pin power socket. Came with sata-6pin adapter cables. Should I be using them or try to connect a 6-pin cable directly from the psu 6-pin socket?

Thanks in advance, I also asked the same question in a few thread I posted regarding dual psu and riser boards.

SATA connectors THEMSELVES are only rated for 54 watts of +12VDC draw, while the PCI-E spec for the bus allows for 75 watts draw.

MOLEX are rated over 150 watts on the connector, the WIRING is what you have to watch there if you put more than one riser on a chain.

PCI-E 6-pin using *2* +12VDC lines is good for almost 200 watts, the ones (not actual PCI-E spec) that have 3 +12VDC lines are good for 288.

Molex and PCI-E 6-pin to riser are safe, SATA is problematic and often UNsafe.

Keep in mind that the power conversion circuitry on the risers is NOT 100% efficient, so your actual draw from the power connector will be a little MORE than what the card itself is actually pulling.

The only issue I have with the Mintcell risers to date is that once in a while the USB cable itself is iffy - but they're standard cables and cheap/easy to replace when that happens.

gt_addict

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:21:47 PM

I expect more from Hero and members. Use search. It's on the manufacturers website, Want more proof contact manf.

Manufacturers in any line of business always exaggerate facts and figures. Proof is from someone (not associated with the manufacturers and unbiased) showing results from making independant tests.

Say i was a manufacturer building a new asic that could mine any coin and only use 100w for 100Th.  If i put details on my website with fake tables and graphs and you read that, would you believe me? No you wouldnt. You would ask for proof from someone (or an independant company) that could backup the manufacturers claims.

illnino

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 08:59:13 PM

Gonna replace a couple i suspect might be causing slightly slower hash rates than other identical cards. Figure i might as well do them all.

Prefer molex. Unless there is a molex to 6pin adapter that doesn't need 2 molex connectors as input.

Usually if the riser pulls badly, then I sell it. But now I use Mailiya 6-Pack ordered with aliexpress. It came pretty quickly. And it works well.
blevotron

Activity: 226

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 09:00:25 PM

based on my expirience any pcie powered molex are great. version 6 version 7 doen't matter. 6pin power = no problem
dcjim1

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

No it is not safe. Actually depends on the current draw through the wires. There were couple of incidents when I almost caught a fire.  On my first rig when I connected 3 risers with 3 sata/molex adapters, the temperature of wires was around 70C, luckily I have a infrared/thermal camera.  So never connect risers with adapters more then 2 in parallel. The other day the contact of one adapter burned out, and happily a rig just hanged. These adapters usually are cheap and wires gauge could be lower then needed.
One more example of what could possibly go wrong with the wires (don't related to the adapters): https://imgur.com/f1fkSCZ https://imgur.com/RZ8BH3R
This outlet was a first in line and nothing was plugged in it, the rig was connected to the last outlet in the line. The outlet was hot around 80C. So you can see someone, maybe the previous tenant, used wire connectors and wrong wire gauge to connect 15 amp outlet in 20amp line.

wow I need one of those cameras... lol

would you recommend using a smart meter to monitor and remote restart the rig? or attach a meter at all at the plug?
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:30:33 PM

When I am assembling a rig, it is on a power meter as part of the process - more to "tune" the card settings to hit my 6 amp target power draw at the wall than any other reason, but sometimes it's a handy tool for troubleshooing issues.

Otherwise I don't bother.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: