Bitcoin Forum
October 18, 2017, 07:16:33 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)
 
   Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DetroitCoin  (Read 2765 times)
domob
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 982


View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 05:37:44 AM
 #21

Freicoin has 80% seigniorage towards a central foundation. It makes for an interesting demurrage test case, but any city should be using a coin that's 100% peer to peer. That means equal rules for all participants, not an unelected cabal spending most of the coins on their own pet charities.

I thought this was Devcoin.  Does Freicoin also have this?

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
1508354193
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1508354193

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1508354193
Reply with quote  #2

1508354193
Report to moderator
Operatr
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 798


www.DonateMedia.org


View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 07:22:35 AM
 #22

Bitcoin has a unique property in it is very easy to generate a macro-economy as demonstrated by the 20 or so new blockchains around now since only about 2-3 months ago all interacting with each other in trade. That got me thinking about the future of cryptographic digital currency in a similar fashion to postulating "What if Detroit switched to Bitcoin?". Obviously the city is now a dead husk of its former self that has finally thrown in the towel, crushed under the weight of crooked politics and banking cartels, it would have nothing to lose by acting out in pure defiance to the FED with such a move.

Thinking further into the future, could we exist in a world someday where each country, city, and possibly even large business entities of sufficient market cap trade in their own unique currencies?


Why would you want to segment currencies like that? It is much more convinient and useful to have a single currency used across wide areas.

That is true and for convenience's sake would be best, though it may become that way naturally, I only posit this as a possible scenario. More the point was simply that bitcoin and its many offshoots won't be decided by the borders of countries, but respective industries and societies. We really don't know what happens next, only that it will probably be spectacular.

elor70
Member
**
Offline Offline

Activity: 84


View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:04:02 AM
 #23

still waitin' for new york coin

Explodicle
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 947


View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:07:16 PM
 #24

Freicoin has 80% seigniorage towards a central foundation. It makes for an interesting demurrage test case, but any city should be using a coin that's 100% peer to peer. That means equal rules for all participants, not an unelected cabal spending most of the coins on their own pet charities.

I thought this was Devcoin.  Does Freicoin also have this?

Yes. They don't advertise this feature very prominently, but they're going to spend 80% of the initial supply on charity. All other participants are allowed to compete over the remaining 20% as mining subsidy. They added this right before the official launch, but so far they haven't decided which charities will receive it.

So... should the economy of Detroit depend on the security of a single cold wallet, or the authority of an unelected private foundation?  Wink
pedrog
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1596



View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:09:47 PM
 #25

still waitin' for new york coin

New York Coin, you can only sell/buy up to 0.5 NYC each time!

Kinnardian
Jr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 38

Founder + CEO, BitBox


View Profile WWW
September 09, 2013, 01:05:11 AM
 #26

Glad to see all of this discussion. Is anyone in Detroit? Will anyone be there this fall?

Check out BitBox, let us know what you think: www.BitBox.mx
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!