Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:23:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Chrono Kings - a game/world Within the Block Chain  (Read 20662 times)
CoinEntropy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 12:24:29 AM

Is there a general or vague prototype or is this in the brainstorming phase? I will be watching this closely as I believe this is the next stage of crypto, joining utility of entertainment as a base value for the coin itself.

Hey.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 10:10:55 AM

There probably will be no levels (although not set in stone).. each character class will be even in terms of strength, unless you have an Artefact .. also.. you will probably control a couple of characters at once... maybe you will have 3 harvesters (civilians) and 4 Rogues and 2 healers.. assuming you can control them all..
to dominate in the game you will need to "possibly/probably" work as a team, and "pool" your spoils..

You would not be able to have a group of max leveled terminators that can one shot you (well.. if you are attacked by 6 rogues you may be one shotted).... if we do integrate any sort of leveling it will not be a massive improvement over starting from scratch.
You will also never be able to log out of the game... once you are in the game, if you need to go to work, then your characters will probably die.. UNLESS, you are in some sort of group/guild of which there is round the clock support/guards, maybe protecting the entrance to your player made building at the far end of the map...

Some notes of how this will work.. (not set in stone, and we have a few options)..

You create a player exactly like you create a name in Namecoin. The player name becomes attached to a certain address (public key). You must send a specific coin amount to this address, which becomes locked (i.e. it's still yours, but you cannot spend it). You use tx-out of this locked coin to prove that you are the owner of the player.

You do moves (one per block) like you update names (in nmc). The move is encoded in the JSON string, attached to the name. E.g. {delta_x:1, delta_y:0} moves your player to the right.

The game state can at any moment be obtained by scanning through all moves since the genesis block. It will be cached in the database, just like nameindex.dat caches the state of registered names in Namecoin.

Moves need to be announced one block ahead in form of hash, otherwise players may cheat by seeing opponents' moves in the transaction pool. This still gives a little cheating possibility: you can announce move, but if it turns out unprofitable, you refuse to reveal it (i.e. you cancel the move). In this case you lose the ability to make a move in this block and maybe the ability to announce the next move till next block (so you skip 2 moves). We hope that losing 2 moves will compensate the ability to cancel a move. (this is not set in stone Smiley)

This is a very bad idea! If something urgent comes up while you're playing (baby crying, someone is at the door), someone just kills you. Most people can play 1-2 hours a day, which will be troubling for them.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 10:33:09 AM

There probably will be no levels (although not set in stone).. each character class will be even in terms of strength, unless you have an Artefact .. also.. you will probably control a couple of characters at once... maybe you will have 3 harvesters (civilians) and 4 Rogues and 2 healers.. assuming you can control them all..
to dominate in the game you will need to "possibly/probably" work as a team, and "pool" your spoils..

You would not be able to have a group of max leveled terminators that can one shot you (well.. if you are attacked by 6 rogues you may be one shotted).... if we do integrate any sort of leveling it will not be a massive improvement over starting from scratch.
You will also never be able to log out of the game... once you are in the game, if you need to go to work, then your characters will probably die.. UNLESS, you are in some sort of group/guild of which there is round the clock support/guards, maybe protecting the entrance to your player made building at the far end of the map...

Some notes of how this will work.. (not set in stone, and we have a few options)..

You create a player exactly like you create a name in Namecoin. The player name becomes attached to a certain address (public key). You must send a specific coin amount to this address, which becomes locked (i.e. it's still yours, but you cannot spend it). You use tx-out of this locked coin to prove that you are the owner of the player.

You do moves (one per block) like you update names (in nmc). The move is encoded in the JSON string, attached to the name. E.g. {delta_x:1, delta_y:0} moves your player to the right.

The game state can at any moment be obtained by scanning through all moves since the genesis block. It will be cached in the database, just like nameindex.dat caches the state of registered names in Namecoin.

Moves need to be announced one block ahead in form of hash, otherwise players may cheat by seeing opponents' moves in the transaction pool. This still gives a little cheating possibility: you can announce move, but if it turns out unprofitable, you refuse to reveal it (i.e. you cancel the move). In this case you lose the ability to make a move in this block and maybe the ability to announce the next move till next block (so you skip 2 moves). We hope that losing 2 moves will compensate the ability to cancel a move. (this is not set in stone Smiley)

This is a very bad idea! If something urgent comes up while you're playing (baby crying, someone is at the door), someone just kills you. Most people can play 1-2 hours a day, which will be troubling for them.

I agree.  That dynamic would kill the game for a majority of potential players, I think.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
CoinEntropy

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 11:18:53 AM

I agree.  That dynamic would kill the game for a majority of potential players, I think.

Yet this dynamic does not come without advantages. . . it creatively keeps the game open for all new comers and diminishes the exploitation of which I have elucidated on the first page. I say keep it that way, or compromise between these two extremes.

Hey.
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:16:30 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 03:02:15 PM by snailbrain

dying is going to happen a lot.. the cost of your character isn't going to be that expensive.. when you come back you just make another character... if you are hardcore you will play differently..

also, you may be 50 blocks away from the nearest other person.. which would be a minimum of 25/50mins distance (assuming all your moves get processed).. so u can probably nip to the toilet  or sort your baby out...

logging out is not really an option...

how else do you propose it is done

the game will not be a fast slow paced mmorpg in which your character will build up over years.... your characters are going to die and you will create new ones.. (it will be slow in another sense Smiley)

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:28:22 PM

BTW, note that while SHA256d has been a great success for POW, none of the other contenders have worked out so far (scrypt is a complete failure as POW).

"scrypt is a complete failure as POW"

Would you please elaborate?

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 01:44:53 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 02:16:18 PM by snailbrain

Nice idea but I would not go with (classic) RPG setting. For me, it is just extremely boring, with no innovations for decades now. RPG scene is
already saturated with almost countless titles and fanbase is already spread accros multiple high-profile RPG games. In short, I don't see many
people playing MMORPG-Coin if it does not push the boundaries on multiple fields including setting and content.

We need to start somewhere..

the limits of what we believe we can do are endless.. (but our pockets are not Wink
although - the game is supposed to be simple (edit.. not as simple as possible)

if it became popular, and we got around some issues.. we can expect an android/ios version...

It may be that the game is completely text based, or you are just red and blue squares when it is released...

you could probably wrap anything around the game, from Fantasy to Space (if this is what you mean by classic RPG setting)...
example.. instead of a Wizard he is a Space Marine with a Gun...
i think Fantasy is ok...... but open to suggestions

The letters MMORPG is bordering almost incorrect for this game..
one of the points of the game is competition against other players to get as much of the block reward as possible.. almost like "being able to mine without expensive hardware".. getting money is Fun... if no one plays, it will be easy to get coins ( aka lower difficulty)

Content:
will be almost none... it will be player vs player.. there will be no NPCs...

I envision (simulated in my own mind ;d):

Chaos at first, people attacking everyone...
A player will get the Crown of Fortune and be chased to the ends of map until he needs to sleep or dies...
People will realize they need to make friends (or bring friends) and protect each others farms (harvest areas)..
Guilds may form (which will have the same effects as pools) - Websites can be created which will monitor all the guilds "income" (by monitoring block chain).. and maybe they have to pay a fee to the guilds "Fighters/Guards" for protecting the guild hall building which has been created as a place people can leave their characters..
Friends may backstab you to steal the crown of fortune, or to kill everyone in your guild hall (player made building) who are in fact all AFK (at work)

One group/guild may start dominating, and own the crown of fortune and a large harvest area.. eventually other people will join forces to attack them to stop them monopolyzing..

Mining Pools / Block Explorer can show the Map of the world... and maybe you can even play the game in a webbrowser of an exchange/pool.

just random thoughts :d

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:18:52 PM

one of the points of the game is competition against other players to get as much of the block reward as possible.. almost like "being able to mine without expensive hardware".. getting money is Fun... if no one plays, it will be easy to get coins ( aka lower difficulty)

Content:

A player will get the Crown of Fortune and be chased to the ends of map until he needs to sleep or dies...
People will realize they need to make friends (or bring friends) and protect each others farms (harvest areas)..
Guilds may form (which will have the same effects as pools) - Websites can be created which will monitor all the guilds "income" (by monitoring block chain).. and maybe they have to pay a fee to the guilds "Fighters/Guards" for protecting the guild hall building which has been created as a place people can leave their characters..
Friends may backstab you to steal the crown of fortune, or to kill everyone in your guild hall (player made building) who are in fact all AFK (at work)

One group/guild may start dominating, and own the crown of fortune and a large harvest area.. eventually other people will join forces to attack them to stop them monopolyzing..

Mining Pools / Block Explorer can show the Map of the world... and maybe you can even play the game in a webbrowser of an exchange/pool.

I would say MMORPG is COMPLETELY the wrong description.  If there is no real character development, it is not an RPG.  Full stop.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.  But it's definitely not an RPG in any sense I know.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:21:57 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 02:58:01 PM by snailbrain

Content:

I would say MMORPG is COMPLETELY the wrong description.  If there is no real character development, it is not an RPG.  Full stop.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.  But it's definitely not an RPG in any sense I know.

maybe Cheesy

it is Massively Multiple Player Online - Role Playing (race/chat/Artefacts/Social) Game..
but not like others..

Is there a general or vague prototype or is this in the brainstorming phase? I will be watching this closely as I believe this is the next stage of crypto, joining utility of entertainment as a base value for the coin itself.

we are hoping to create a prototype without spells and some other limitations soon..

EDIT: One of the things what we are trying to do with this game is demonstrate the possibilities.. such as:

Spells with X Block Recast
Movement
Harvest Areas
Killing
Picking Up Items
Health Points
Leveling (we think we can do, but we might not)
Moving more than 1 square or attacking someone who is more than 1 square away
Obstacles on the Map (river)
Player Made Obstacle (walls/buildings)

our original idea was much more simple..

Red Vs Blue (you are just a square)
3 Classes, no spells.... players dmg/heal   enemies/allies in adjacent squares every block.
A Map that Restarts when 1 team wins.

Fight to the death.. if you are alive at the end and your team wins then you get 1 "point"..
you then go back to character select and you queue again for the next game..
 the size of the map is based on the amount of players.

If you player has survived 20 matches in a row then you receive x% of block reward... these characters aka "20+" will be hunted down in the game..
20+ only get the block reward when inside a map

BUT.. we decided a persistent world map would be a better game..

CoinEntropy

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

So only those with coins making "special" transactions are able to play?

Do you have any screenshots? Who is developing this game? What will the graphics be like?

Hey.
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 09:56:00 PM

Do you have any screenshots? Who is developing this game? What will the graphics be like?

anyone can play with the coins.. you will create your character (same way you create a namecoin name)..
no screenshots as we have not started...
a 2 Man Band is involved in the creation of the game at the moment.. (namecoin-qt coder and myself)

graphics will probably be very simple...
imagine 2d RPG style.. but may only even be squares and a grid.. or even text based..
maybe the community will add better graphics Smiley

if you want better graphics or a better game .. donate Cheesy... we will create a prototype to show it's possible and go from there..

CoinEntropy

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 10:49:17 PM

anyone can play with the coins.. you will create your character (same way you create a namecoin name)..
no screenshots as we have not started...
a 2 Man Band is involved in the creation of the game at the moment.. (namecoin-qt coder and myself)

graphics will probably be very simple...
imagine 2d RPG style.. but may only even be squares and a grid.. or even text based..
maybe the community will add better graphics Smiley

if you want better graphics or a better game .. donate Cheesy... we will create a prototype to show it's possible and go from there..

start a bounty thread asking for game dev's of all sorts, I'm sure they'd love to make a game that directly incorporates an innovative coin

Hey.
ASICSRUS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 05:42:14 AM

nice/\BTC/\robot game coin? ha you got a faucet running yet? when do you list on cryptsushi? lol Cool

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 06:12:44 AM

Anti-scammer idea: Reward miners with game items instead of currency. Then they have to play the game to sell them at all Cheesy

Credit to k9quaint for inspiring this idea.
Code:
<k9quaint> I solved a block in MMOCoin, got a Vorpal Sword out of it!

snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:59:39 PM

Anti-scammer idea: Reward miners with game items instead of currency. Then they have to play the game to sell them at all Cheesy

Credit to k9quaint for inspiring this idea.
Code:
<k9quaint> I solved a block in MMOCoin, got a Vorpal Sword out of it!

good idea Cheesy

we won't add it... but we could have a treasure chest on the map which spawns a random item in the chest every X blocks..

virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 09:36:08 AM

My opinion:
http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1042
 Smiley

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:17:28 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 10:10:04 PM by snailbrain

Changed name - for now... what do you think? (had a mixed reaction so far)

Chrono Kings

We envision the game evolving into a sort of Ruler style world.. i.e. Kings.. over time (hopefully) people will attack/rebel against the king(s)... the Kings will be the owners of the Crown of Fortune and/or Throne of Fortune.

development has started on a basic prototype...

https://github.com/chronokings/chronokings

as for the name of the coins : Chrons? Chronos? Crowns?

May Add: Throne of Fortune - A square of which if a player is on, he will receive X% of Block reward..

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 07:36:55 PM

This will be interesting.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CoinEntropy

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:41:24 AM

Chrono Kings

We envision the game evolving into a sort of Ruler style world.. i.e. Kings.. over time (hopefully) people will attack/rebel against the king(s)... the Kings will be the owners of the Crown of Fortune and/or Throne of Fortune.

May Add: Throne of Fortune - A square of which if a player is on, he will receive X% of Block reward..

I'd like to see some visuals of the game site where the transactions translate onto before naming it, so as to name it appropriately and in a way that is distinctive to what the coin does.

Hey.
snailbrain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:03:23 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2013, 01:53:19 PM by snailbrain

Chrono Kings

I'd like to see some visuals of the game site where the transactions translate onto before naming it, so as to name it appropriately and in a way that is distinctive to what the coin does.

yes sir Smiley

Imagine mining coins with expensive hardware (not many of us have this).. and imagine mining coins manually avoiding death.. man hours will be needed to mine the coins.. of course people may/will make bots.. but from experience, bots are never as good as human players (not including FPS aim type bots).. this may change though.. (obviously it should be FUN)

probably the crown/throne of fortune may receive 10 or 15% each of the block reward.. miners 20% of block reward.. the rest into harvesting  (50%)..

not sure what you mean by visuals of the game site though...

it will be a basic style map.. maybe starting 300 x 300 squares (at the start)... possibly a river (obstacle) running through the centre, with a bridge in the middle...

you click a character(s) and move him/her to the next square.. you (hopefully) will be able to click a square far a way so the client
paths to this square so you can go afk (if the journey takes hours)

The Harvest areas will regenerate every block...

there's a few problems, like : what happens when no more coins are generated (if we did this)... what happens if a miner doesn't process your moves and only his (you will probably die or never catch the crown without a coordinated effort))..

but this is an experiment.. if it explodes, is hacked/exploited on release, don't be angry.. Smiley (we will try our best to prevent this of course)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: