Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:14:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: most secure way to purchase bitcoins  (Read 518 times)
answers1408 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 01:32:41 AM

Hi! Im new to bitcoins but am really interested in the concept.
I'm down to buy a few but I don't want to be scammed or ripped of...

My question is what would be the most secure way of purchasing bitcoins for a new user?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!! 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:55:23 AM

My question is what would be the most secure way of purchasing bitcoins for a new user?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!! 

Start by knowing how to tell if you've received bitcoins, and if the transaction has any confirmations.

Then look for a local seller on https://localbitcoins.com

If you've got the time to figure out who the trustworthy sellers are here at this website, then you can go with an online transaction.  However, you'll need to have a way to make payment that they'll accept (MoneyGram, Western Union, GreenDot Money Pak, etc.).  If you do that, you'll probably be expected to send first (since you're new).  As such, demand a trusted escrow holder.  The most trusted escrow holder around this forum is John K., you can send him a PM.  You can find other escrow holders in the following thread:

Escrow List
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716.0

You'll see that I'm listed in that thread, but you should always be wary of anyone who presents themselves to you as an escrow holder.  Do your own diligence in checking the history of any potential escrow holder.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:58:23 AM

By the way, if you're within a reasonable driving distance from the Greater Chicagoland Area, I'd be willing to meet up and exchange bitcoins for cash.

If you are willing to send cash (or U.S. postal money order) through the mail, and wait for it to arrive before receiving your bitcoins, then I'd be willing to sell that way as well.

Obviously in the case of the mailed money (or money order), I'd be willing to place the bitcoins in escrow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: