Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:42:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel on chip CPU SHA256 hashing announced  (Read 11639 times)
tstang

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:30:39 PM

Dree,

good insight and update !  Wink
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SirMintALot

Activity: 140

In POS we trust

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:00:35 PM

According to heise.de the new SHA256 instuctions will be introduced with Nights Landing (Xeon Phi) in 2014, and later with Skylake (follow up of Broadwell, which is the follow up of Haswell) - problably in 2015.

BTC: 142BHpdq4wey7PC3Cp5QiUoshF19u3yvHN LTC: LbiEUDYjohwpXnv1Gd4LvdGr1Jr1M5Usjc NMC: N3eeYkWqeLFWBJRmS3WyU1zz6WgKkjEVtb
IXC: xtR8uc2EFGWFJgrVEgZZ5yvRsWKhwAg8ZH DVC: 18oVWfSqHjvhJEuHHxsDpCfBeDMuLWyh5p CLR: CGZGWW16sooX69PJBEtJH2Xmo4KFupkow7
PPC: PLJ5uzFw21FkKdSrmfccT3MqubSfSB4soE YAC: Y7FM89AiFhWKBcXh2BzzRaw4eUAYkreXbs LBW: 5ygEWM7dMjeUV2sBeppTvkTTXCkeREKqf2
I0C: jatiogvXJYhK7auegbjPnQRV3kQgFvz482 JPU: JE7fhhPfP1Kjyd1hj8zevNsf7THeMqHo6A NVC: 4Hvecu2fzC2rCwYbKBeYXr8y9pdAZLFZHH
True___Blue

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 09:17:42 PM

I am not the most computer/crypto knowldgable person, but does this mean that someone has to write some code to allow people to run asics on intel processors? Will there a time in the future I can use my old intel Core i5 laptop for mining btc? (I know I can now but it is a huge waste of energy).

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 11:15:45 PM

I am not the most computer/crypto knowldgable person, but does this mean that someone has to write some code to allow people to run asics on intel processors?

Yes.

Will there a time in the future I can use my old intel Core i5 laptop for mining btc? (I know I can now but it is a huge waste of energy).

No.  While this would make a CPU "more" efficient, it wouldn't make it efficient enough.  Say your CPU was 3x (and it likely wouldn't be that much of a speed up) as fast and used the same power.  Would it really matter?
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 04:02:38 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2013, 09:45:08 AM by hlynur

i'm no expert on this but could cpu support for hashing also be used for the integration of encryption directly into operating systems/ software instead of mining?

i just had this strange idea of my cpus doing encryption of mails/chats etc. as a background process on-the-fly
or is this just a chimera and my thought approach is way off?  Tongue

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:39:13 PM

i'm no expert on this but could cpu support for hashing also be used for the integration of encryption directly into operating systems/ software instead of mining?

i just had this strange idea of my cpus doing encryption of mails/chats etc. as a background process on-the-fly
or is this just a chimera and my thought approach is way off?  Tongue

Your CPU can do that right now.  These instructions just improve the speed/efficiency of various encryption algorithms.  They don't make possible something that was impossible before.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 09:05:04 PM

or is this just a chimera and my thought approach is way off?  Tongue

Your CPU can do that right now.  These instructions just improve the speed/efficiency of various encryption algorithms.  They don't make possible something that was impossible before.

In fact, your CPU is doing that right now. The very act of visiting these forums, posting, etc., already involves this encryption.
hlynur

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 12:16:04 AM

thanks for your answers.
so with improving the efficiency/ speed of these operations new cpus are capable of doing more complex encryption processes in the background.
i try to reason what this could mean for the future development of encryption of communication/information especially with Prism/Tempora news in mind.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 01:02:49 AM

thanks for your answers.
so with improving the efficiency/ speed of these operations new cpus are capable of doing more complex encryption processes in the background.
i try to reason what this could mean for the future development of encryption of communication/information especially with Prism/Tempora news in mind.

Not really.  SHA-256 isn't particuarly computationally intensive.  The average CPU is capable of tens of millions of hashes per second even without this instruction.  Far more than most users could ever hope to need.
hlynur

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 01:47:17 AM

thanks for your answers.

Not really.  SHA-256 isn't particuarly computationally intensive.  The average CPU is capable of tens of millions of hashes per second even without this instruction.  Far more than most users could ever hope to need.

ah ok...what a pity, for a moment i hoped that could represent a glance at newer and safer encryption standards in the future.
so in the end it's more about independent network providers and in what form a software uses the algorithms to push progress in that direction.
nevermind...learnt something new again.
(i read a thread some months ago about the possibility of transporting information via the blockchain that's where my brooding came from)

ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 03:40:05 PM

That's pretty cool, although it's not too much use until it's massively parallelized. AMD should add asic SHA hashing to their GPU's. Then we talk.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
ZirconiumX

Activity: 286

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 05:27:41 PM

That's pretty cool, although it's not too much use until it's massively parallelized. AMD should add asic SHA hashing to their GPU's. Then we talk.

AMD CPUs would also make things interesting, especially in the server market.

The highest amount of AMD cores in a chip for the desktop market is 8. In the server market, it is 16, and you can get multi-chip motherboards. 64 cores, all with onboard SHA256 hashing.

With that amount of power potentially out there, SHA256 had better be secure...

Matthew:out
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 05:33:48 PM

No good. GPU's have thousands of cores. In order for it to be of any real use, it would have to be parallelized to the hundreds if not thousands.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
alxAcid

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:23:01 AM

It would be interesting to see AMD produce SHA256 or scrypt specific GPUs... I like to imagine they will, considering what steps they're taking to return to profitability. Shares of AMD trade around 3.50 for the last several months... association with bitcoin/cryptocurrency could be very good publicity for them and create another revenue stream.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:49:48 AM

These will go nicely with those new motherboards built just for mining  Roll Eyes

Really these companies missed the boat for our neck of the woods, they're going after something else...
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:30:34 AM

It obviously doesn't compare to ASIC mining. I mean something like a KnC where you have, possibly, more transistors dedicated to SHA then an entire Intel CPU.

Are you suggesting the Intel implementation is less efficient (in GH/W) than in dedicated ASICs, or just that they are less powerful per die? Because I think what matters is how this will affect centralisation. If the incremental power needed to run a mining process in the background is less expensive than the BTC it yields, then many people might run it. And since there are so many general purpose computers in the world, this might mean significant percentage of the world's hashing power might come from PCs eventually. Dedicated miners would still run dedicated ASICs, but CPU mining might no longer be irrelevant from a decentralisation point of view.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:29:29 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2013, 05:42:44 PM by greenlion

This really isn't about regular general-purpose CPU's suddenly becoming competitive for mining, but what it does open up is the possibility that in the future, a multitude of devices can be doing a tiny amount of mining in the background all the time.

A very plausible consumer application (that would really represent the holy grail in Bitcoin usability) would be a credit-card sized kinetically-powered lightweight node that functions as a hardware wallet signing transactions. SHA 256 hardware implementation in a CPU is not necessarily about mining, but could form the basis of a low-power signing implementation.

As far as Intel's motivation, it's kind of naive to assume it's Bitcoin specifically, because SHA-1 and SHA-2 are used in a tremendous amount of applications that have nothing to do with cryptocurrency.
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 07:54:09 AM

The guys over at freebsd had some words..
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/we-cannot-trust-intel-and-vias-chip-based-crypto-freebsd-developers-say/

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print