Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:20:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any such thing as an easily installed and used mining software?  (Read 682 times)
xstr8guy (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:11:39 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2013, 05:03:13 AM by xstr8guy

I've been a member for several months now and I can no longer contain my frustration with mining software.  I've been using BitMinter (thanks Dr!) most of the time and GUIminer when BitMinter is down (BTCGuild or Slush's Pool).

But now I have a handful of USB Erupters and am waiting for orders of ASICs from BFL, KNC and BitFury.  And GUIminer seems useless with ASICs so far.  I've now just wasted several hours of my life attempting to install BFGminer and have failed miserably.  In the past I've had failures with CGminer and others.

Seriously, what decade is this that we can't simply click an .exe file and have a completely functioning miner within minutes?!  I'm not a coder and never wanted to be one but I'm no technoob either.  Compiling, binaries, DLLs, blah, blah, blah.  Why is this so bleeping difficult?

I've been reading there forums virtually every day, hoping someone would post a fool-proof step-by-step on miner installation.  Or better yet, wishing someone would take pity on me an invent something simple.

Help me please!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 02:14:15 AM

What installing?  You unzip cgminer and it is "installed".  Honestly it really can't get any easier than that.
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:23:53 AM

My installations failed on several computers.  CGminer wouldn't even open so I assumed I was missing components that weren't included in the zip file.

And c'mon, no GUI just archaic text commands.  Again, what decade is this?
Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 03:35:50 AM

My installations failed on several computers.  CGminer wouldn't even open so I assumed I was missing components that weren't included in the zip file.

GUIs are for people that don't know how to actually use a computer.

xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:05:08 AM

Gee, thanks for the helpful reply.  This kind of attitude is why bitcoin isn't taken seriously and still resides in the ghetto.

Oh by the way, did you know that the vast majority of computers in use today use GUI only OS's and programs?
PEBKAC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 12:03:09 PM

Just FYI: Bitminter will do ASIC mining since the latest release (1.4).
There really is no need to install different mining software to run your ASIC's.

Well, apart from running on a different pool when Bitminter is down.
SirMintALot

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

In POS we trust

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 04:16:40 PM

There is an idiot proof guide at BTC Guild how you could use USB Block Eruptors with BFGMiner:
http://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=support&section=blockerupter

BTC: 142BHpdq4wey7PC3Cp5QiUoshF19u3yvHN LTC: LbiEUDYjohwpXnv1Gd4LvdGr1Jr1M5Usjc NMC: N3eeYkWqeLFWBJRmS3WyU1zz6WgKkjEVtb
IXC: xtR8uc2EFGWFJgrVEgZZ5yvRsWKhwAg8ZH DVC: 18oVWfSqHjvhJEuHHxsDpCfBeDMuLWyh5p CLR: CGZGWW16sooX69PJBEtJH2Xmo4KFupkow7
PPC: PLJ5uzFw21FkKdSrmfccT3MqubSfSB4soE YAC: Y7FM89AiFhWKBcXh2BzzRaw4eUAYkreXbs LBW: 5ygEWM7dMjeUV2sBeppTvkTTXCkeREKqf2
I0C: jatiogvXJYhK7auegbjPnQRV3kQgFvz482 JPU: JE7fhhPfP1Kjyd1hj8zevNsf7THeMqHo6A NVC: 4Hvecu2fzC2rCwYbKBeYXr8y9pdAZLFZHH
tinus42

Merit: 501

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 04:45:04 PM

Does a CLI miner offer better performance for the power than a GUI miner such as the Bitminter one?

I have my USB Block Erupter hooked up to my Windows 7 laptop which is nearly always on (which also was the case before I started mining so the miner uses only marginable more power than when I had the computer turned on without it). Does it make any noticable difference to run CGminer in a "DOS box" than use the Bitminter client? It's just another process.
PEBKAC

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 04:59:05 PM

No, it doesn't make a difference.
The desktop is being rendered anyway, and the CLI box is also a graphic rendering within Windows. (the box itself, the text is actually a truetype font, etc)
Only actually using DOS as your OS takes rendering out of the equation, since it will put the graphicscard into a native text mode.
Downside to booting to DOS is that there is no way to talk to the OpenCL functions of a graphicscard (unless you put the whole OpenCL SDK into the mining software and reprogram it to work as an actual 16bit CLI application), hence not letting you mine.

If you really want to run in CLI, you should use a Linux distro and not use any GUI system (like X Window System)
canadaboy

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 06:32:00 PM

try linux got some sick 10 steps in term to get a miner going and some prebuilt mining distros now
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 06:41:54 PM

I've been a member for several months now and I can no longer contain my frustration with mining software.  I've been using BitMinter (thanks Dr!) most of the time and GUIminer when BitMinter is down (BTCGuild or Slush's Pool).

But now I have a handful of USB Erupters and am waiting for orders of ASICs from BFL, KNC and BitFury.  And GUIminer seems useless with ASICs so far.  I've now just wasted several hours of my life attempting to install BFGminer and have failed miserably.  In the past I've had failures with CGminer and others.

Seriously, what decade is this that we can't simply click an .exe file and have a completely functioning miner within minutes?!  I'm not a coder and never wanted to be one but I'm no technoob either.  Compiling, binaries, DLLs, blah, blah, blah.  Why is this so bleeping difficult?

I've been reading there forums virtually every day, hoping someone would post a fool-proof step-by-step on miner installation.  Or better yet, wishing someone would take pity on me an invent something simple.

Help me please!

im with you there i can get cgminer running fine but would it really be that hard to do a basic gui to make it simple and quick to edit on the go.... people say oh its only a bit of programming to sort out but ill argue back that its only a little bit more to get a good gui then you have it available for advanced users and new users... hell bitminter made one of the best programs iv seen guiminer would be up there but the programmers seem to have given up

so come on why can people like bitminter put the extra few steps in and cgminer and bfgminer cant... to me cgminer and bfgminer will NEVER be acceptable aslong as bitminter keep there software upto date and with a gui

matupoiv

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 08:42:19 PM

Help me please!

Many pieces of mining software are not installed, but are instead contained in a zip file. They can be finnicky at times and may requires some adjusting to get optimal results. Check the mining area for more info Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: