Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:50:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: the nsa is tracking my computer.. just got a remote message  (Read 4481 times)
andrewboy44 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 04:58:26 AM

So its 12:50 in the morning and am on satoshidice and peerbet... next then you know a message box with the title nsa surveillance pops up on my screen. They know my name, and that I have been engaged in bitcoin related activities. I wanted to take a picture but acted to fast in turning off my computer. went like this:
Hey andrew, do you use bitcoin?

yes why?

did you buy illegal substances with your bitcoin?

I didnt reply bc I was in shock that they new my name and that I use bitcoin. I've never bought illegal items but I do mine and gamble. The question is are they remotely looking at my computer now? I need some answers and help. Has anyone else got this message? I live in sc and a man in charleston sc recently was arrested for buying and selling illegal drugs with bitcoin so I figured thats why they are monitoring my state and picked up on me.. I don't know if I should gamble, toss my computer, or wtf to do. And advice would be nice, thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:02:21 AM

That was the new super-secret MR division of the NSA checking up on you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2bmImPNKbM

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:02:55 AM

sorry but i just cant believe this story Undecided

i wish i could because it would be fascinating if true

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:03:16 AM

Throw your computer out your window do it nao!!! Run they are coming to get you!!! LMAO The gnomes under my bed said that the NSA is around the corner!
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:05:22 AM

sorry but i just cant believe this story Undecided

i wish i could because it would be fascinating if true

I have no reason to lie. If it comes up again, Ill be sure to screenshot it.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:11:21 AM

Sounds like your friends playing a prank on you. I had a friend who setup remote access to another friend's computer when he was in the bathroom, and messed with him in somewhat similar ways.
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:14:49 AM

Sounds like your friends playing a prank on you. I had a friend who setup remote access to another friend's computer when he was in the bathroom, and messed with him in somewhat similar ways.

I greatly hope its a prank.... im sketching. I went and removed my wallet.dat files just in case that was a virus attempt to files on my computer. I googled this and nobody has ran into this... I dont have friends smart enough to do that though... It was either a new virus attempt or really them.
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 05:15:56 AM

Why would the NSA inform you of the fact that you are being monitored? I think they're smart enough not to go by the honors system: "Hey, have you been breaking the law? No? OK, cool." They would probably wait silently gathering evidence until they had enough to kick your door down. This sounds more likely to be a virus.

Also, the NSA should not be in charge of drugs. Wrong agency. They also should not be concerned with gambling. They should have asked you if you are donating Bitcoins to Wikileaks, or overseas terrorists, or something like that.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:18:13 AM

Also, the NSA should not be in charge of drugs. Wrong agency. They also should not be concerned with gambling. They should have asked you if you are donating Bitcoins to Wikileaks, or overseas terrorists, or something like that.

Or even worse, he might have voted for one of the 200 rebellious congressional representatives...

andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:19:05 AM

Why would the NSA inform you of the fact that you are being monitored? I think they're smart enough not to go by the honors system: "Hey, have you been breaking the law? No? OK, cool." They would probably wait silently gathering evidence until they had enough to kick your door down. This sounds more likely to be a virus.

I'm going off of what was in the message mate. I'm only sketched due to a man being caught with illegal things bitcoin related and he lives in my state, and is an hour away. Thats why I feel like this could potentially be real. But if yall believe it isnt then im not going to really worry. I'm no longer playing dice on this computer though and I'm strictly only using tor browser
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:23:31 AM

format the thing and scrub your hard drive for good measure. reinstall with linux and focus on security. make sure all your ports are closed up. get good antivirus software. run anything the least bit risky in a sandbox. run your browswer with noscript. yada yada yada. not even the nsa could break into your pc if you take the right precautions.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 05:24:50 AM

I used to open and close cd drives and make fake error messages pop up in the library when in high school. While someone was working on a paper I'd pop up a message saying there was a virus that would delete everything if they didn't answer correctly. The question I put in was something like "What is the average rainfall of the Amazon river basin?" and the only answers were Yes, No, and Cancel. By the time they would get a teacher I would close the window. Fun times.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:27:04 AM

I used to open and close cd drives and make fake error messages pop up in the library when in high school. While someone was working on a paper I'd pop up a message saying there was a virus that would delete everything if they didn't answer correctly. The question I put in was something like "What is the average rainfall of the Amazon river basin?" and the only answers were Yes, No, and Cancel. By the time they would get a teacher I would close the window. Fun times.
wow wow wow... maybe thats what this is... my cd drive kept opening 5-10 mins before this happened...
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 05:29:08 AM

You should be more worried about malware. The probability is that a malicious but non-government entity has your identity, or suspected they did. I fear that when you responded to their message, you may have confirmed their suspicion. You should inspect your computer.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:31:15 AM

You should be more worried about malware. The probability is that a malicious but non-government entity has your identity, or suspected they did. I fear that when you responded to their message, you may have confirmed their suspicion. You should inspect your computer.
I responded to see if it was even real. whats a good free software to download to scan my computer? my nortons is old
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:34:49 AM

Malwarebytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:35:33 AM

You should at least have windows defender.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:42:17 AM

thanks for the help everyone. I running virus software now.. norton couldnt find anything other then my wallet exes so I don't think if it was a virus, it was successful. Will keep ya'll updated if it occurs again.
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:43:49 AM

Check your remote desktop settings and look for any teamviewer type programs.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:48:02 AM

You've been trolled.
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 05:58:34 AM

You've been trolled.
what does that mean?
jhansen858

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 06:34:07 AM

1) Are there any other computers on the same network as you?  Meaning in your same house hooked up to the same switch/router/wifi?  If so, then they are fucking with you. 
--Turn on your god damn firewall on your computer, slap the shit out of someone.

2) Do you have your computer hooked up directly to your cable modem with no fucking firewall? 
--reformat your computer, put your computer back in the box you bought it from and return it.  Do not buy a replacement.

3) none of the above
--reformat your computer and get a better firewall.  Do not download shit that you don't know where its from. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 06:43:42 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2013, 07:16:25 AM by yayayo

Of course this is not the NSA talking to you. Surveillance is done in secret. You will only know about it when you get arrested.

As has been said here - best thing to do is to format your harddrive and to build a safe system from scratch.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 07:33:14 AM

thanks everyone. I'm currently doing all that now
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 08:52:17 AM

Though...you have to consider, if it was the government, then no amount of antispyware or virus would help Smiley

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-07-25/there%E2%80%99s-no-hiding-nsa
Varicon

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 08:56:30 AM

Sounds like one of your friends trolling you.
pgbit

Activity: 771
Merit: 258

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:27:16 AM

So its 12:50 in the morning and am on satoshidice and peerbet... next then you know a message box with the title nsa surveillance pops up on my screen. They know my name, and that I have been engaged in bitcoin related activities. I wanted to take a picture but acted to fast in turning off my computer. went like this:
Hey andrew, do you use bitcoin?

yes why?

did you buy illegal substances with your bitcoin?

I didnt reply bc I was in shock that they new my name and that I use bitcoin. I've never bought illegal items but I do mine and gamble. The question is are they remotely looking at my computer now? I need some answers and help. Has anyone else got this message? I live in sc and a man in charleston sc recently was arrested for buying and selling illegal drugs with bitcoin so I figured thats why they are monitoring my state and picked up on me.. I don't know if I should gamble, toss my computer, or wtf to do. And advice would be nice, thanks
did you click on any links from a java chat app on any of the websites you were browsing?

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
jaakkop

Activity: 63

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 10:33:59 AM

Haha, reminds me of good old Netbus Smiley

And to OP, I think someone is pranking you

I'd buy that for a dollar bitcoin!
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:40:43 PM

Wouldn't Netbus be picked up by the virus scanner?

QueenElizabeth

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 12:46:05 PM

http://www.all-internet-security.com/images/netbus.gif

And to OP, I think someone is pranking you

Hahahahaha, you bring me back to when I was a student sysadmin at the dawn of the public Internet in universities... plenty of people would come to the "computer room" to chat on IRC channels consistenly named #sexsomething, a lot of fun was had scaring the living daylights out of them with random popup messages via the Novell Netware messaging system. Cheesy It only lasted about 3-4 days then everyone caught on, but those were 3-4 glorious days.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 03:29:53 AM

I wouldn't just assume it is a prank.

Your computer might be compromised, and the intruder just decided to mess with you for a while. Make sure to reformat and reinstall the OS and get a good anti-virus. The descriptions of the symptoms you are having seems right in line with a lot of the things Trojan Horses (a hacker tool) can do.

Especially if you do anything related to Bitcoin on this computer, get it secured fast before your Bitcoins disappear and your bank account is emptied.  Sad
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 04:31:04 AM

Ha, I used to do the novell popup, and I think there was some unix chat too.
I remember spoofing smtp mail sending an email from your professor that you were failing.

elor70

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:17:45 PM

someone trolled you

bowen151

Activity: 658

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 02:37:55 PM

OP were you wearing your metallic style hat labelled "keepsmythoughtsin"?

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: