Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:01:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING !!! Coinspot has an internal Hacker  (Read 483 times)
Dydee (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:22:32 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 12:49:28 AM by Dydee

Hi everyone,  I was not sure where to put this but everyone needs to read this.
My partner received an email from coinspot the other day asking him to turn off his google authentication as they were doing some work on the site....etc etc..
He immediately smelled a rat and contacted them for verification. They answered and said yes, they were really coinspot and that a few accounts created last month were affected ...blah blah...
He replied that there was no way he was turning off his authentication without proof.
So...wait for it. They emailed him a copy of the. card with his picture on it, you know the one where you have to write on  that you are really you. Well they had access to that, plus all his account details...OMG...
 Then they rang him on his mobile phone...!!!!!! and assured him they were working on things... It now appears there is a problem and they are looking into it. But meanwhile there are honest people out there who could be conned.

We are honest, hard working Australians and really don’t appreciate this. There is someone either internal or hackers with total access to all our accounts.  Very scarey...
I’m a bit worried that I may targeted now for posting this...
But you people all need to read this. If you get an email like that, DONT turn off your authenticator and raise merry hell about it ...
My partner is now trying to reach Russell, if he exists. You can’t phone them and we can’t go to Melbourne..
So, be warned ...
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Redbackone

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:17:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Quite concerning...
Dydee (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 12:37:31 PM

Well folks, sorry but it got worse. My partner ‘s account was emptied of FIVE THOUSAND dollars.  During all these emails and so called trying to fix a glitch in his account, they called him and went through some blurb that this conversation was being recorded for training purposes etc etc...they then asked him to type in some numbers.
My partner felt sure he was talking to Coinspot as you know they have the sms option if you don’t use the google authenticator. He did as they asked and ......his account was immediately emptied.

He is now negotiating with Coinspot that is not his fault that this has happened. Seems his email was hacked and they gained all the info they needed from there. But the one thing they can’t past is the authenticator. So by using the option that does appear on the site, they tricked my partner into giving up some numbers that THEY sent him...weird I know. I’m not sure how it actually transpired but that is the weak link, the sms option.
How are we supposed to know who is Coinspot and who is a hacker.... please tell me how...

This is really wrong. They said they can see where the stolen coins went but can’t do anything... REALLY...!!!
I think a reimbursement is due in this instance. Come on Coinspot, do the right thing.
So everyone, beware. Don’t believe a thing. Don’t reply to emails and don’t believe any phone calls. Just be
careful... What are you supposed to do with the best protection you can get and you still get hacked. Why can’t people be honest... Sad
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 01:02:23 PM

This is the eternal problem. People will never be honest. But the fact that the hackers gained access to the money your friend is his fault. Support will never ask for numbers from SMS messages. Moreover, they correspond through email only on General topics. Everything about your account they ask you to go in and negotiate from there. I think that they did not admit their guilt. And it reads never give this code to another person.
Dydee (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 11:51:30 PM

Well the good news is he got a new account and his balance is now more than double what he lost... perhaps I shouldn’t say that but it’s true. I think it’s karma...  BTW we are not amateurs at this and know the risks. I just can’t beleive he got caught out the way it happened. We know not to reply to emails or give anyone info or go to links in emails etc. But these hackers were very cunnng.  But when your account gets stopped, you will do anything to make it right. The hackers caught him at work and he was distracted and thought that Coinspot had called him. After all theY have his number, why not.
He just bought a hard wallet and has diversified over different sites. Now we just enjoy the ride as this is amazing... sure beats the old gold games of the nineties...lol.
Koadharber

Activity: 1065
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:06:55 PM

My partner received an email from coinspot the other day asking him to turn off his google authentication as they were doing some work on the site....etc etc..
He immediately smelled a rat and contacted them for verification. They answered and said yes, they were really coinspot and that a few accounts created last month were affected ...blah blah...
He replied that there was no way he was turning off his authentication without proof.
So...wait for it. They emailed him a copy of the. card with his picture on it, you know the one where you have to write on  that you are really you. Well they had access to that, plus all his account details...OMG...
 Then they rang him on his mobile phone...!!!!!! and assured him they were working on things... It now appears there is a problem and they are looking into it. But meanwhile there are honest people out there who could be conned.

We are honest, hard working Australians and really don’t appreciate this. There is someone either internal or hackers with total access to all our accounts.  Very scarey...
But you people all need to read this. If you get an email like that, DONT turn off your authenticator and raise merry hell about it ...
My partner is now trying to reach Russell, if he exists. You can’t phone them and we can’t go to Melbourne..
So, be warned ...
This seems really very suspicious because if theres an internal problem i would say its not really needed or necessary for you to turn off authentication since i dont see that it is related to affected on any errors. I would like to know if your friend did able to disable or refuse to do so? Since its not being mentioned on the story you do said. The fact there is that they did able to show up some proofs but still im hesitant to follow those orders.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 768

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:18:43 PM

So, be warned ...
This seems really very suspicious because if theres an internal problem i would say its not really needed or necessary for you to turn off authentication since i dont see that it is related to affected on any errors. I would like to know if your friend did able to disable or refuse to do so? Since its not being mentioned on the story you do said. The fact there is that they did able to show up some proofs but still im hesitant to follow those orders.
If this would happen into my situation then it would really neglect it specially they are telling you on disabling your authentication which they can possibly get in on the account with ease if they are really truly hackers. It better to be wary than to be careless on cases like this because if you aren't too sensible on things you will end up on getting hacked.If you do have doubts then better not to proceed.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Dydee (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 10:11:39 AM

Hello again,
Yes it was very suspicious. I’m not so sure the hacker is from Coinspot now, maybe it wasn’t. The first contact made was by email where they said that there was a problem with a few accounts opened that particular month. Next my friends account could not be accessed. Next he gets another email saying to turn off his authenticator. He was suspicious immediately with this and wrote back and said no way was he going to turn it off. They wrote back and sent  all his ID that he used to open the account... drivers license and even that photo where you have to write the sign and say who you are... This was alarming but he thought it was proof they wer Coinspot.  But if someone had access to his email and /or computer then this could have made it possible.
Next they phone him on his mobile and say they are Coinspot and say they are trying to fix the problem, blah blah . I’m not sure how this works but they gave him some numbers to put into his two factor login, instead of the google one. How that worked I don’t know but within seconds $5,000 dollars was gone. Of course he should not have done that but they had all his ID and how are you supposed to know if it really is Coinspot or not. The thing that the hackers can’t get past is the google authenticator so don’t ever be tricked into turning it off. My partner never did turn if off as he didn’t know how to.. but still they got in by giving him some numbers. From then on he only contacted Coinspot through the site and spoke to a guy named Claude who said yes, his account had been emptied and they could see where it had gone but they can’t do anything...because of the block chain thing. He confirmed that his computer and email must have been hacked and that’s how they got all his info.
Something you need to do is delete all the photos from your email and computer of your ID. I bet you have it all sitting in your gallery or photo file... Delete it all. I have done mine so there is nothing there for the hackers to see even if they do get in. Coinspot were sympathetic but couldn’t do anythIng. So it’s up to us to be safe.
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 10:46:38 AM

Hello again,
Yes it was very suspicious. I’m not so sure the hacker is from Coinspot now, maybe it wasn’t. The first contact made was by email where they said that there was a problem with a few accounts opened that particular month. Next my friends account could not be accessed. Next he gets another email saying to turn off his authenticator. He was suspicious immediately with this and wrote back and said no way was he going to turn it off. They wrote back and sent  all his ID that he used to open the account... drivers license and even that photo where you have to write the sign and say who you are... This was alarming but he thought it was proof they wer Coinspot.  But if someone had access to his email and /or computer then this could have made it possible.
Next they phone him on his mobile and say they are Coinspot and say they are trying to fix the problem, blah blah . I’m not sure how this works but they gave him some numbers to put into his two factor login, instead of the google one. How that worked I don’t know but within seconds $5,000 dollars was gone. Of course he should not have done that but they had all his ID and how are you supposed to know if it really is Coinspot or not. The thing that the hackers can’t get past is the google authenticator so don’t ever be tricked into turning it off. My partner never did turn if off as he didn’t know how to.. but still they got in by giving him some numbers. From then on he only contacted Coinspot through the site and spoke to a guy named Claude who said yes, his account had been emptied and they could see where it had gone but they can’t do anything...because of the block chain thing. He confirmed that his computer and email must have been hacked and that’s how they got all his info.
Something you need to do is delete all the photos from your email and computer of your ID. I bet you have it all sitting in your gallery or photo file... Delete it all. I have done mine so there is nothing there for the hackers to see even if they do get in. Coinspot were sympathetic but couldn’t do anythIng. So it’s up to us to be safe.

Anything is possible on this online world which anyone can really have access or remote your computer while you are still away or not aware on such action. This is why we should really be wary all the times since anything can really be used against us or make use of those valuable information's.I have done this already which I don't really store up valuable id's on my pc which it can really be stole once hacker did able to get in from your pc.

Legendary / Hero Member

EPSILOAN ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████▄     ███████    ▄█████
███████     █████    ███████
███████ ▄    ███     ███████
███████ █▄    █ █    ███████
███████ ██▄    ██    ███████
███████ ███▄  ███    ███████
█████▀   ▀██▄███▀     ▀█████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Low Sigma

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Algorithmic Trader

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 10:51:09 AM

It was too easy to spot this one. A sys admin working at an exchange would very easily bypass 2FA from inside, he don't need to ask you to disable it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: