Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:46:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange exodus  (Read 191 times)
TERA2 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 222

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:00:33 AM

Crypto is now worth $600 billion. However, the majority of fiat transfer is still handled by a handful of small companies including Coinbase, Bitfinex, and Bitstamp. Do you think whenever the bubble pops and everyone is withdrawing, the liquidity will hold? Or will there be huge delays, or will we have another mtgox even? I want so badly to wait and trade the bottom of a crash but I'm not sure if I trust the exchanges and the time to withdrawal may be now while everything is uppity.

Another question: Is tether going to collapse?

60659 📦

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 08:07:33 AM

Crypto is now worth $600 billion. However, the majority of fiat transfer is still handled by a handful of small companies including Coinbase, Bitfinex, and Bitstamp.

Bitfinex doesn't handle much fiat at all. They only recently added banking capabilities after 6 months without them, and their Polish bank account is held in the name of a third party. The bank has a ~$30 million balance sheet.

You're only thinking about the western market, though. Japan and Korea are both becoming major players in this market. The largest Japanese exchange (Bitflyer) has also just launched US operations. And China's OTC volumes are rising to replace its shut down exchanges.

Do you think whenever the bubble pops and everyone is withdrawing, the liquidity will hold? Or will there be huge delays, or will we have another mtgox even?

There will be liquidity events for sure. And I'm sure some exchanges will go down. Everything is gravy in a bull market; it's after the crash that everything begins unraveling.

Eventually. They seemingly can't provide an audit, but that's probably due to regulatory fears. This isn't a good look...

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 09:46:23 AM

Bitfinex doesn't handle much fiat at all. They only recently added banking capabilities after 6 months without them, and their Polish bank account is held in the name of a third party. The bank has a ~$30 million balance sheet.

The bank account is in the name of the payments processing provider they have outsourced to. The bank's balance sheet bears no relation to the quantity of funds they are able to transact.

Eventually. They seemingly can't provide an audit, but that's probably due to regulatory fears. This isn't a good look...

The accountants already released a memo stating they were satisfied that the funds were there. Due to the ongoing smear campaign being held against Bitfinex and Tether they have been asked to further provide a full audit which takes time.

From the statement linked to in that tweet.
https://tether.to/wallet-service-and-platform-update/
Audit

Friedman LLP continues to work diligently toward a full balance sheet audit as of September 30, 2017. We understand that the public is anxiously awaiting the completion of this process, but it cannot be rushed and we are not Friedman’s only customer. Moreover, the amount of due diligence that is being performed by Friedman is substantial. We (and Friedman LLP) are committed to this process in our quest to deliver on a new standard of transparency in our industry. In the meantime, we wish to once more state, very clearly, that Tether Limited does, in fact, carry USD bank balances in the amounts stated here at banks at which we have accounts. Any suggestion to the contrary is uninformed and baseless.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:38:09 AM

The bank account is in the name of the payments processing provider they have outsourced to.

That makes it clear that Bitfinex is still blacklisted across the banking system. They've been reduced to transacting in the manner that BTC-e did before they were taken down.

The bank's balance sheet bears no relation to the quantity of funds they are able to transact.

Technically no. But if you think a tiny bank can start processing massive volumes of USD wires for a cryptocurrency exchange out of nowhere without drawing regulatory attention, I think you should reconsider.

The accountants already released a memo stating they were satisfied that the funds were there.

That's an odd way of putting it. They made it very clear that they couldn't make any guarantees on Tether's ability to pay its obligations.

Due to the ongoing smear campaign being held against Bitfinex and Tether they have been asked to further provide a full audit which takes time.

How long is that line supposed to hold up? They've been saying that since last year. You just going to trust them forever? Like I said, I think they have the money. I also think they have no realistic way of paying it out at scale without serious risk of seizure. Anyone who played online poker from the US post-Black Friday knows how this works.

Any suggestion to the contrary is uninformed and baseless.

This just seems like a really unnecessary and unprofessional way to cap off a non-announcement. When is the last time Tether said something substantive since they lost their ability to redeem Tethers 8 months ago?

TheQuin

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 10:58:39 AM

That makes it clear that Bitfinex is still blacklisted across the banking system.

It doesn't do anything of the sort. Are Coinfloor blacklisted across the banking system because they bank in Poland rather than the UK? They choose to bank where the regulators are easiest to work with.

Technically no. But if you think a tiny bank can start processing massive volumes of USD wires for a cryptocurrency exchange out of nowhere without drawing regulatory attention, I think you should reconsider.

I have reconsidered and I still see no relevance to the size of the bank and the transaction volume.

That's an odd way of putting it. They made it very clear that they couldn't make any guarantees on Tether's ability to pay its obligations.

They made clear the limitations of what they did but were also happy to publically say that the funds were there, which is what they were asked to verify.

How long is that line supposed to hold up? They've been saying that since last year. You just going to trust them forever?

Until I see something more substantial than I have so far from anyone claiming there is an issue. The vast majority of it is based on misrepresenting facts, innuendo and hypothesis.

Like I said, I think they have the money. I also think they have no realistic way of paying it out at scale without serious risk of seizure. Anyone who played online poker from the US post-Black Friday knows how this works.

There is a good reason they have cut off all US-based customers and that is that the US represents the only serious legal threat to any foreign-based Crypto business.

Any suggestion to the contrary is uninformed and baseless.

This just seems like a really unnecessary and unprofessional way to cap off a non-announcement. When is the last time Tether said something substantive since they lost their ability to redeem Tethers 8 months ago?

It seems quite restrained considering the amount of unsubstantiated FUD that people are happy to repeat ad nauseum.

mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:29:27 PM

Tether is never a token worth to hold or believe that its price will hold $1 in long terms, there are lots of question unanswered by tether team and their holding is not transparent. There might be more USDT in circulation than total USD they have in their bank accounts, always trust USD so exchange your bitcoin in either gdax or exchange it for neteller, skrill and perfectmoney.
itsmeram

Activity: 212
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:31:13 PM

Tether is very risky, i am trying to answer to that guy who said that "tether" is probably the only altcoin who will survive.
Maybe this is true, but we do not know what is going to happen on a near future.
And do not forget that bitfinex is controlling more than 40% of the total supply of tether.
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 06:53:00 PM

Until I see something more substantial than I have so far from anyone claiming there is an issue. The vast majority of it is based on misrepresenting facts, innuendo and hypothesis.

You don´t think that this is an issue?

From the Tether announcement today:
Until we are able to migrate to the new platform, the purchase or sale of Tether will not be possible directly through tether.to. For the time being, though, we invite you to use the services of any one of a dozen global exchanges to acquire or dispose of Tethers for either USD or other cryptocurrencies.

By doing this they are essentially fucking over every non-institutional customer. You are forced to either buy cryptocurrencies with your Tether, which
are all dropping today or you can cash out on an exchange against USD. What they conveniently omitted is that there is only a single
exchange with a USDT/USD trading pair. And that exchange has absolutely dismal volume at this trading pair, which largely consists of wash trading
(I´ve tried trading this trading pair for some time and am not basing this on hearsay). Even if the Kraken USDT/USD trading volume would be legimitate
you would have a nightmare trying to cash out any substantial sum if the average trade is not even 100 $.

They worded this pretty carefully, but the reality is that the "dozens of global exchanges" only have Tether cryptocurrency
trading pairs. Their lawyers took some time drafting this...

thecodebear

Activity: 2086
Merit: 813

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:14:11 PM

Crypto is now worth $600 billion. However, the majority of fiat transfer is still handled by a handful of small companies including Coinbase, Bitfinex, and Bitstamp. Do you think whenever the bubble pops and everyone is withdrawing, the liquidity will hold? Or will there be huge delays, or will we have another mtgox even? I want so badly to wait and trade the bottom of a crash but I'm not sure if I trust the exchanges and the time to withdrawal may be now while everything is uppity.

what bubble?
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:17:27 PM

Bitfinex has at least $1.2 billion in their accounts as they have each USDT backed by one USD.
If they don't, then yes, Tether will crash, but as it is at $1.03 at the moment, it doesn't seem like it is imminent.

There is a lot of money flowing though some pretty ropey companies anyway, it will be regulated in the future.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2017, 07:25:18 AM

You don´t think that this is an issue?

From the Tether announcement today:
Until we are able to migrate to the new platform, the purchase or sale of Tether will not be possible directly through tether.to. For the time being, though, we invite you to use the services of any one of a dozen global exchanges to acquire or dispose of Tethers for either USD or other cryptocurrencies.

By doing this they are essentially fucking over every non-institutional customer. You are forced to either buy cryptocurrencies with your Tether, which
are all dropping today or you can cash out on an exchange against USD. What they conveniently omitted is that there is only a single
exchange with a USDT/USD trading pair. And that exchange has absolutely dismal volume at this trading pair, which largely consists of wash trading
(I´ve tried trading this trading pair for some time and am not basing this on hearsay). Even if the Kraken USDT/USD trading volume would be legimitate
you would have a nightmare trying to cash out any substantial sum if the average trade is not even 100 $.

They worded this pretty carefully, but the reality is that the "dozens of global exchanges" only have Tether cryptocurrency
trading pairs. Their lawyers took some time drafting this...

It has been the case that smaller investors have been unable to cash out via Tether for some time. This was due, as I already told you, to Tawainese regulators action, not Tether's. As you just pointed out withdrawing crypto and selling that for fiat is the alternative and has been long before this market pullback. It is also the case that since Bitfinex reintroduced USD withdrawals and deposits it is possible to buy and sell Tethers there. Trying to make out that this is Tether "essentially fucking over every non-institutional customer" is yet again misleading at best or more likely deliberately disingenuous (I mean from whoever gave you the idea).

TERA2 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 222

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 10:14:19 AM

what bubble?
The sharp deviation above the mean caused by a 2000% increase in less than a year. In btc we refer to these events that occur every 3 years as 'bubbles' but it doesn't mean btc as a whole is a bubble

60659 📦
Laregrell

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2017, 01:33:47 PM

i’m not trust exchange sites because it is against the main reason for bitcoin "only p2p no third member ".

i will send my money fast after get my coins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: