Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:35:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please comment on this method  (Read 797 times)
minarchist (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 08:38:29 PM

I intend to be a long-term Bitcoin investor, and add funds to my wallet every month, and not spend any of it for a long time.  I have two laptops, one of which is four years old, and onto which I downloaded Multibit yesterday.  After that, I turned off auto-connect to a wireless network, and created a wallet offline.  I then transferred the entirety of my funds from my blockchain.info wallet to the address of this offline wallet, and verified that everything went well via blockchain.info.  I copied the private key of my new wallet from the old laptop to a thumbdrive, then put said thumbdrive in a safe place, then printed the private key from the laptop, and then put the printout in a safe place as well.  I will continue to buy bitcoin via localbitcoins.com and immediately transfer them to my offline wallet using its public key.  As I said, I have no desire to spend any bitcoin for a while.  As far as I can tell, this is extremely secure, as long as no one steals the thumbdrive, printout, or my old (and now permanently offline) laptop.  Yes, the disadvantage is that I cannot spend anything for as long as I keep the private key wholly isolated from the Internet, but as a long-term investor, this doesn't bother me. 

What are your thoughts on my analysis?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
last2stand

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 08:43:36 PM

imo armory is even more secure with paper back-up get a look : https://bitcoinarmory.com/
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 08:57:56 PM

imo armory is even more secure with paper back-up get a look : https://bitcoinarmory.com/

The download link for Armory isn't working at the moment, and in any case, with an offline computer, regardless of which software you use, you have absolute safety (unless some breaks into your home, or the laptop manufacturer put a secret wireless transceiver in that transmits the entire contends of your hard drive, or various other very unlikely scenarios).

So what difference does it make what software you use if you rigidly adhere to the rule of keeping the computer that you used to create the wallet permanently offline? 
Amaze

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:02:57 PM

I personally wouldn't put anything on paper. But what you're doing sounds good, especially having a computer that is offline.
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:04:39 PM

I personally wouldn't put anything on paper. But what you're doing sounds good, especially having a computer that is offline.

Guns, safes, alarms, and cameras can protect paper. Wink
EmperorBob

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:27:19 PM

Some printers keep the images they printed in non-volatile memory for a long time. You may want to consult the manufacturer's instructions on how to clear it.
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:43:00 PM

Some printers keep the images they printed in non-volatile memory for a long time. You may want to consult the manufacturer's instructions on how to clear it.

I will never connect the printer in question to a computer that is connected to the Internet.  Eventually, I may do an "Office Space" on it.  Tongue
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 03:14:13 AM

offline computer would be the best, also usb backup as well
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 07:13:52 PM

offline computer would be the best, also usb backup as well

As per the OP, that's exactly what I did.
trilightzone.org

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 11:34:42 PM

Your method is a bit complicated. You could consider encrypting the wallet (and/or use truecrypt) and store it in multiple places online + offline. Once you backup the most recent wallet just overwrite the old ones and do a checksum to make sure there was no corruption.
minarchist (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:36:15 AM

Your method is a bit complicated. You could consider encrypting the wallet (and/or use truecrypt) and store it in multiple places online + offline. Once you backup the most recent wallet just overwrite the old ones and do a checksum to make sure there was no corruption.

Storing the private key online, even if in encrypted form, is something that I want to avoid. 

The method that I used isn't that complicated.  It is actually functionally the same as purchasing a physical bitcoin (with a visible public key and a private key hidden behind a seal) from a reputable seller.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: