Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:22:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I will never buy a BitFury (TM) ASIC  (Read 1270 times)
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 09:09:52 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2013, 10:03:30 AM by Viscera

I noticed recently some adds for the 4g/h little BitFury ASIC miner and I thought, "wow, this looks awesome". I was really interested to follow the link and would love to buy one, UNTIL, I noticed the TM sign and the picture pointing out that they plan to "protect our Intellectual Property (IP).

Besides insulting the intelligence of everyone who doesn't work there, I find the idea of IP an abhorrent reminder that there are still people in this world who believe that just because they thought of something, no one else is allowed to think of it.

When will the majority of people be more open minded to our ability to see through walls. You cannot keep a secret like this and expect everyone to just say "yeah, we aren't worthy to think of that".

So to everyone at BitFury, I hope your little ASIC is ripped of by some clever Chinese people selling it for half the price. And to everyone else who would like to stand up for the "right" of IP to tell others what to do, tell someone who cares.

Sincerely,

Taking IP and throwing it under a bus
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
handytxg

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

What is wrong with protect IP, I'm sure you also doesn't want someone copy your hardwork.
lmn123

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:04:52 PM

What is wrong with protect IP, I'm sure you also doesn't want someone copy your hardwork.

Quelling healthy competition!
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:08:22 PM

IP is evil

Please be consistent and stop using your Iphone 3 GS.

Thank you.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:12:22 PM

I'm not sure i'm following -- what open-source cpu is running your open-source mobo?  After BitFury spends millions on R&D, you want them to post masks & share?
lmn123

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:09:20 PM

I'm not sure i'm following -- what open-source cpu is running your open-source mobo?  After BitFury spends millions on R&D, you want them to post masks & share?

I don't expect them to post masks or anything like that, but I expect a degree of reverse engineering, etc. to create something very similar.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 05:42:48 PM

I don't expect them to post masks or anything like that, but I expect a degree of reverse engineering, etc. to create something very similar.

I'm sure they'll provide the typical white papers with pinouts & stuff.  The bitcoin ASIC business is sort-of weird anyhow, i'm not sure how much everyone would benifit from more, faster ASICs...
viscera2

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 09:55:03 PM

I noticed recently some adds for the 4g/h little BitFury ASIC miner and I thought, "wow, this looks awesome". I was really interested to follow the link and would love to buy one, UNTIL, I noticed the TM sign and the picture pointing out that they plan to "protect our Intellectual Property (IP).

Besides insulting the intelligence of everyone who doesn't work there, I find the idea of IP an abhorrent reminder that there are still people in this world who believe that just because they thought of something, no one else is allowed to think of it.

When will the majority of people be more open minded to our ability to see through walls. You cannot keep a secret like this and expect everyone to just say "yeah, we aren't worthy to think of that".

So to everyone at BitFury, I hope your little ASIC is ripped of by some clever Chinese people selling it for half the price. And to everyone else who would like to stand up for the "right" of IP to tell others what to do, tell someone who cares.

Sincerely,

It's always interesting to me to re-read these old posts of mine. The writing style is much more my own and unlike the broken English of the hacker who's taken over the account. I still have these same feelings about IP and Copyright. I'm sorry that I had these strong feelings about being allowed the freedom to think did not translate into better efforts to protect my work not with copyright, but with a better password. Anyway, It's nice just to re-read this and remember that I was here at a time when life was more care free.
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 01:26:16 PM

Sincerely,

I hope that it's the giant INTEL, SAMSUNG, GF and all the others who will finally produce their chips, I am sure they all have better prototypes, even if just in simulation... a fab war Smiley.

a smart guy told me to never say never... (2x Grin).

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: