Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:30:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 914 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [LABCOIN] IPO [BTCT.CO] - Details/FAQ and Discussion (ASIC dev/sales/mining)  (Read 1079977 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 11:29:24 PM

This tread if full of geniuses

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 02:27:22 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2013, 05:02:33 AM by Ytterbium

Seems like every stock was going down.  Probably because the site was down.

TA is retarded.

Just wow.

There is about 5Mill USD invested in these LabCoin shares and some holders have 50-100k USD worth. You don't think that is big money? You don't think these guys know what they are doing?

No-one should be following this mans advice.

"Technical Analysis" which is really just astrology with charts and has little scientific or mathematical basis, if you try to apply it to these tiny markets.  In the real world a "big player" is someone with billions of dollars, or at least hundreds of millions.  Here it apparently means someone with 400 BTC.  If you tried to sell a 400 BTC share position in one shot you'd lower the price to 0.0028.  Even if you tried to do it slowly over a day, you'd still greatly reduce the price. That's the way these markets work.  Any individual big move is going to have a major effect on the price.

So in order to buy this idea that "big players" with "hundreds of BTC" are sitting around staring at charts, it would mean they were day trading a few BTC at a time in order to maybe make 0.1 or 0.2 BTC profit.   But why would they even bother? It's likely their plan is to hold the stock and make dividends.

People who have taken major stakes in this company are mostly just sitting there with it and holding.

The thing is, even if you just want to sell a couple thousand shares, you have to either eat the bid wall and sell at a cheaper price, or else set an ask wall and just wait, possibly for a long time (and move that ask wall around to keep it at the bottom)   If you try to "time" the market you need to sell at the bid price and buy at the ask price and if you do that a lot you'd just burn money.

Even during that huge spike and fall with activemining the other day - the trade volume was only maybe 25k shares (I could look it up by it's half way scrolled off the history).  That's on the way up and back down.  That's just 25BTC.  Not a lot for someone with a position of hundreds of BTC, and that was a really unusual situation.  Most of the time, there just isn't enough volume to make much money day trading these stocks (unless you get some early information, obviously)

I get the feeling stuartuk is one of those people who puts in bids for 5, 30, 50 shares you see at the top of the order books  

wickedgoodtrader

Activity: 220

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:52:43 AM

What is the deal with every time I place a sell order.. an identical sell order is created .0001 less then mine. It appears this is happening to everyone. If you look at the sell list there are 10 sells that are exactly duplicated in amount .0001 less. I know usually it does it for 1 sell.. but the 10 lowest? Someone is looking to unload without crashing the market. I'm a professional poker player and the way these guys have conducted business such as updates anytime the price is dropping, makes me call major bluff. Especially when they come out and add extra shit like bloomberg and cnn want interviews and they are going to have way more hashing power online then expected when they haven't even put 1 th up. LOL.. give me a break.. but thanks for the profits!

I was only planning on selling half of my position but let it all go, this was a snap fold (or call I guess if you talking about bluffing).

Does anyone have an explanation why the closest to the money sells are being replicated and underbid by .0001? Gonna be pretty hard to rise in price like that!
onecent

Activity: 186

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:53:50 AM

Au contrair. You seem to have the misunderstanding.

There are several aspects to TA and the reasons as to why it works. I agree there will be limited traders acting on chart patterns - but those who do will be the bigger players.

This is completely delusional.  You're just assuming that the people with the most money are the ones who share your moronic ideas about TA.  It's a common refrain that the "big" money is all doing TA.  But only reason the "big money" would do TA is if they thought other big money people were doing TA.  And there is no reason for that to be the case, because TA is retarded.

Secondly this market is too liquid for "big money" to make any "big moves".  People with big positions aren't sitting there trying to trade tiny chunks for a few shatoshi here and there based on the "chart" because any move they make is going to cause a major price jump or fall, swamping any "signal" in the chart completely.

They certainly aren't going to care about what tiny traders are doing a few dozen share at a time, why would they?

And seriously, how large of a position would one need to have to be a "big player" in this market, exactly?

But the "chart analysis" crap,....is idiotic,

Your view of something you don't understand is to call it idiotic. I wouldn't trust your judgement on anything - including the prospects of LabCoin.

Then don't.  I'm not interested in helping idiots make money.

I don't know much about Voodoo or Astrology or tea-leave reading but I don't exactly feel like I need to know much about it to write them off. I know enough about the ludicrously named "technical analysis" (which is totally non-technical and barely 'analysis') to know it's total B.S.

Agree.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 05:15:47 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2013, 05:58:28 AM by Ytterbium

But the "chart analysis" crap,....is idiotic,

Your view of something you don't understand is to call it idiotic. I wouldn't trust your judgement on anything - including the prospects of LabCoin.

Then don't.  I'm not interested in helping idiots make money.

I don't know much about Voodoo or Astrology or tea-leave reading but I don't exactly feel like I need to know much about it to write them off. I know enough about the ludicrously named "technical analysis" (which is totally non-technical and barely 'analysis') to know it's total B.S.

Agree.

And just to note: While I did give a basic prediction - that both ActM and Labcoin are way undervalued (which stuartuk should actually like) - if you read closely you can see that I was not giving specific price guidance.

Rather I was explaining the mathematical formula you would use if you had p.d.f (as in, probability density function, not a portable document format file) for various possible future hashrates (both for labcoin and the overall network)

I specifically said I was giving a simplified example, with a very simple PDF (only three possibilities, a total scam or failure with 0% of the network, and two non-scam possibility where they get either 1 or 5% of the network, and if they are valued the same way ASICMiner is)

The thing to understand is that I was giving the math. Anyone can take that math and plug in their own estimates for the likelihood of various possible network percentages and their likelihood of it being a scam.

And here's the thing about math.  Math is universal, it's the same for everyone.  Math is not an opinion and it's either wrong or right. I gave multiple examples, including ones where the stock is actually over-valued, as well as examples where the expected prices is exactly what it currently is. (Because, unlike SHA-256, these are not one-way functions, and you can reverse them Grin )

If the math is wrong, then anyone should be able to point out the error and it will be obvious to all. Including me.  Just point out the error.

If you disagree with the estimates I've entered, that's totally fine. As I said at no point did I say that I was sure those values were right, those are just simple examples. And I gave examples for what I thought were reasonable good and bad scenarios, as well as examples where the price was overvalued, or valued exactly correctly.

I wasn't trying to say my oppinoin was correct, or where the stock was headed, I was simply trying to illustrate how people could figure it out on their own, using simple grade-school arithmetic (using a discretized versions of formulas that would involve multiple integrals over topological surfaces in vector spaces in the 'full' continuous versions Grin)

I don't have a problem if people don't trust my estimates -- because they're not even estimates. They're just examples of formulas that anyone can use on their own with their own assumptions to see what the price should be.

If people want to ignore that because of my views about "chartological voodoo" they are certainly free to do so.

And anyway, I think both Labcoin and ActM are undervalued so I don't really see why ActM fanboys would even have a problem with it...

What is the deal with every time I place a sell order.. an identical sell order is created .0001 less then mine. It appears this is happening to everyone. If you look at the sell list there are 10 sells that are exactly duplicated in amount .0001 less. I know usually it does it for 1 sell.. but the 10 lowest? Someone is looking to unload without crashing the market. I'm a professional poker player and the way these guys have conducted business such as updates anytime the price is dropping, makes me call major bluff. Especially when they come out and add extra shit like bloomberg and cnn want interviews and they are going to have way more hashing power online then expected when they haven't even put 1 th up. LOL.. give me a break.. but thanks for the profits!

I was only planning on selling half of my position but let it all go, this was a snap fold (or call I guess if you talking about bluffing).

Does anyone have an explanation why the closest to the money sells are being replicated and underbid by .0001? Gonna be pretty hard to rise in price like that!

First of all, whenever I place an order, I place for 0.0001 less then whatever order is about the same size as mine.  I don't pay too much attention to orders in the 10, 20 shares.  We're talking about $1 or $2 there. At that point, who cares?

Second of all, there are definitely bots in play.  I've noticed you can get a bot to push up it's price until it reaches a threshold where it will just pull it's order. I think the way they work is that the owner will enter a 'maximum' price they're willing to pay, and the bot will adjust the price until it hits that max price, so that they can buy for as low as possible.

In some cases I'll push a bot's price up to it's max, then fill it's order, just to fuck with the owner Grin

I've thought about writing a bot-fucking-with bot but as I said, the volume on these markets is so low there's just not much point in putting in the effort - you just won't make much money.

In my case, the bids are mostly too small for me to bother worrying about. If someone is going to buy or sell enough for me to have my order filled, they'll eat through the bot's bid fairly quickly.

(And if you think this is unfair - remember it's not poker.  In the "real world" probably the vast majority of trades are executed by "High-frequency trading" or "Blackbox" systems - basically bots coded by the banks, and collocated right next at the exchanges in order to execute trades as quickly as possible)

demzie

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:18:24 AM

Almost Smiley Comming close now!

Timer removed. End time: 2013-09-12+18:00:00UTC
redbeans2012

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 05:51:09 AM

My prediction is the clock runs out... everyone panics.. the swede buys up cheap shares.. then comes out with news.

Cheesy
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 05:56:59 AM

My prediction is the clock runs out... everyone panics.. the swede buys up cheap shares.. then comes out with news.

Cheesy

It's possible.  I think I'd better deposit some more btc in order to snap up those cheap shares Grin

carpetbagger

Activity: 258

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:50:33 AM

Was there actually an announcement that narrowed it right down to the second? The time on the countdown will be something like 4am in China.

Keep clam & hodl on
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:52:42 AM

Was there actually an announcement that narrowed it right down to the second? The time on the countdown will be something like 4am in China.

No and if there was Labcoin would miss it anyway.

carpetbagger

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:00:07 AM

No and if there was Labcoin would miss it anyway.

I tend to agree. Can only judge them on their previous actions.

Keep clam & hodl on
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 07:01:19 AM

It was the 10th that clock is wrong

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
carpetbagger

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:12:50 AM

mining will start no later than 10 September

Keep clam & hodl on
BitCsByBit

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:15:40 AM

10th September @ what time and in which time zone??

There is really no point for having a clock here as all it will do is create anxiety for no benefit.

Tipsy jar: 1HgfLMXiJQj9KZ7abLRh9rWuR7dgeSyub4
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 07:23:00 AM

Labcoin should really schedule when they're going to do these things.  Earnings reports and calls on wallstreet are scheduled in advance for a reason.

demzie

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:25:22 AM

It was the 10th that clock is wrong

how about 24 hours timezone buffer..
how about 24 hours mining before dividend can be calculated Smiley
zumzero

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

myBitcoin.Garden

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 07:56:55 AM

Is this a good long term investment or is it just for short term profit, suitable for flippers and day traders?

I am not skilled enough to day trade so I would need a good long term prospect if I am to sell up my ActM shares.

What is the clock all about?  Isn't that asking for a big fail??

https://mybitcoin.garden
Bitcoin game where you can earn up to 220% on each planted garden!
demzie

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 08:27:08 AM

Is this a good long term investment or is it just for short term profit, suitable for flippers and day traders?

I am not skilled enough to day trade so I would need a good long term prospect if I am to sell up my ActM shares.

What is the clock all about?  Isn't that asking for a big fail??

Daytrade now.. When clock ends, go for long term Smiley
When clock ends they start hashing..
zumzero

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

myBitcoin.Garden

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 08:40:33 AM

Everything written below is on page 3 of this thread and makes for interesting reading.

I understand it to mean that Labcoin have chosen to use older technology because they can get it to market quicker and take advantage of the lower difficulty in terms of mining.

That makes sense but I've got a niggle.  Surely this is a short term strategy and an admitance that the intention is to take as much bitcoin as possible in as short a space of time until the 'next gen' miners take over.

If there is any truth in my assertion the question, I suppose, is for how long can LC maintain enough of the global hashing rate to justify it's existence, if at all?

And what is this about 'locked shares' - Are they saying, "we won't sell our shares, but we are allowed to sell 25% of them"?

Perhaps the 'locked share' issue ties in nicely with the perceived short term smash & grab ideology.

I am trying to do my 'due diligence'  before deciding to buy or not.  Right now, I feel I'd need some pretty good answers to my points as well as a clearer line of communication with the folks up top before thinking about jumping in.

Can you elaborate on why you are going with the 65nm process?

With ActiveMining proceeding with a 28nm process, how do you plan to compete?

The short answer here is that we simply do not believe that investing heavily in the absolute "bleeding edge" of technology is wise or necessary to achieve competitive results or profitability.

Labcoin is not a project that is primarily focused on developing the absolutely most "high tech" ASIC possible, but rather to reach the market quickly with the best hash rate per invested dollar.

If you had to choose between ordering a high density mining chip from butterfly labs or a well designed multicore chip based on a technically older design with lower density from Bitfury, what would you choose right now? (Not to mention a year ago, when Butterfly Labs started their process).

With parallel development teams and established contacts with foundries and manufacturing plants in China, we simply see more profitability in developing and producing chips and mining equipment based on tried and available technologies, then risking investor funds and delays in targeting next generation tech.

I hope this at least somewhat answers your question.

28nm isn't next gen tech, it's current gen. Also, BFL use 65nm whereas BitFury use 55nm. The comparison you should be making is between KnC on 28nm and BitFury on 55nm which have similare efficiency.

As for the question of what you would choose, I'd say the one which provides the best value, regardless of process used or the efficiency of the ASIC. An inefficient ASIC priced low enough can offer far more value than a higher priced, highly efficient ASIC.

I'm looking forward to the IPO.

You are of course absolutely correct. The comparison I was after was that Butterly Labs chose to develop an ASIC based on what when they started over 1 year ago was "next gen" at the time (I would argue that until KNC or any other ASIC provider shows an actual working unit/chip based on 28nm, it is still next generation), while Bitfury chose to develop using current generation technology (more or less) and has managed to reach market at almost the same time as Butterfly Labs, at a more attractive price point and with seemingly better availability of chips.

Between the two, its hard to not (as a customer or investor/share holder) want to say that The choice of developing a more effective chip based on available technology carries less risk, and plenty of opportunity for profitability without taking the risk involved in developing for "next gen".

https://mybitcoin.garden
Bitcoin game where you can earn up to 220% on each planted garden!
demzie

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 09:35:00 AM

"f there is any truth in my assertion the question, I suppose, is for how long can LC maintain enough of the global hashing rate to justify it's existence, if at all?"

They are also developing new chip sizes Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 914 »
  Print  

Jump to: