Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:56:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need quiet in my house! Sound control techniques for S9 miners?  (Read 11690 times)
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2017, 03:36:51 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:11:09 AM by frodocooper

Cool.  I've been looking at the datacenter option, but I only have two miners. My local co-location center wants $800 per month for a 1/2 rack, plus 9c kw/h.  I would need to have more miners.  I've looked at the firm out of Seattle, but am not sure about sending my expensive computers to a datacenter in another state.

Seems like quite a ripoff when I recall that in College Station around 2010 or so, the "all bills paid" apartments started at around $700/month. (Apartments without utilities included started at $500/month at that time, although then there's a ripoff $40/month or so service charge.) I'm pretty sure there are places way cheaper than that.

What datacenters give you is bandwidth, which you don't need very much of for Bitcoin.

As for back to the original problem, do you have the room to build a shed in the backyard?

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 118

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 02:02:24 AM

I'm sending them out to Sidehack who does some small-scale hosting with a good price.  I'll let ya'll know how that goes ...
Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 02:16:53 AM

Ask any musician with a home studio ....Lots of empty egg cartons..backed by heavy fibre curtains blankets... acoustic attenuation/dampening is just SOOOO easy to do cheap..
Every major city has office reno contractors that will be happy to give you old stuff they were throwing out anyway. scrap insulation helps too..

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
Liquid71

Activity: 835
Merit: 1000

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 12:47:39 AM

I sold my R4 and wish I didn't because it was the perfect heater/miner. I hope Bitmain or someone will make quit miners for home, great way to heat the house while turning a profit rather than paying for heat. I gave up trying to keep S9 in my garage, it gets too hot in summer so I have them hosted with Giga Watt. When winter comes though it would be great to have a quit miner for in home mining.
Some good solutions in this thread but I'm not sure they are good enough, I'd prefer just buying an R4 again.

vmattprice

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:30:12 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:11:40 AM by frodocooper

I am currently struggling w/ the exact same dilemma..  I live in Georgia, where we have HOT summers, sometimes mid-to-high 90's.

Here is my current idea.. I have ordered a rack-mount setup for my 2 S9's that are on the way, but instead of just mounting these in a traditional server rack enclosure w/ side panels, doors, etc.. I'm going to mount in a rack frame (https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Adjustable-Server-Cabinet-4POSTRACK42/dp/B00HVKOPBW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1512998380&sr=8-8&keywords=Server+Rack)

Once I get that done, I am going to build a box enclosure from regular wood from the Home Depot Smiley  Plan on cutting at least a 10 to 12" hole in the top for exhaust to evacuate, duct it with 8-12" duct piping from the top of the enclosure, along the top of the garage, and pipe it to exhaust through one of our decorate vents on the front of our home.. This way, no additional holes have to be cut in the house, I can simply vent through an existing vent.  To assist with the exhausting, i'm going to add in a vortex fan inline (https://www.amazon.com/Atmosphere-S-1000-Vortex-S-Line-Ultra/dp/B071FGNR5Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512998563&sr=8-3&keywords=Vortex+S)

This should move enough hot air out of the enclosure to keep things relatively cool.  Another reason I want to build this box is to make sure all air entering has been filtered to avoid clogging of the heatsinks since this will sit in the garage.  So, I plan on cutting 2 traditional home air filter holes in both sides of this unit at the bottom, so air can be sucked through naturally, and filtered.  

And finally, due to hot summers, my plan is to cut 2 ports into the box, also at the very bottom, and add at least 1 (if not 2, depending on if the demand is there when summer rolls around) of this floor AC units (https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SRCOOL12K-Portable-Conditioner/dp/B002XITVCK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512998708&sr=8-2&keywords=Server+Rack+AC) or, alternatively, one of these at the bottom of the rack flush mounted on the front of the cabinet (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228178&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Server+-+Accessories-_-N82E16816228178&gclid=CjwKCAiA9rjRBRAeEiwA2SV4ZWOkcto58CA2y6u2g5gcI0Ufw3l65lHWQwPtOxYUk3rVgzuMe7tbBBoClvkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)

For the A/C units, their exhaust hot air can also be ducted into my exit tubing with T connections, so the ambient temp of the garage shouldn't be increasing due to proper routing of hot exhaust gases straight out of the front of our house.. With the AC pumping directly inside the cabinet, although it will be sucked quite quickly, I would imagine that would help keep the temps down where they need to be down (i.e., ONLY inside the box instead of trying to cool the entire garage, which would be a losing cause)..

Lastly, another reason to build the box enclosure is for sound dampening.. I plan on lining the box with dynamet or some other sort of noise suppressor that is heat resistant so the garage doesn't sound like an airport Smiley

The reason i'm considering doing this is I plan on scaling this from the two S9's I have on order, to several rigs.. I also have a 6 GPU setup right now for Ethereum that I may change over to a rack-mount chassis and stick in there.  Would be a good place for any servers down the line, etc..

Thoughts on the efficiency of the design?

*Only other potential option is scrap all that and colocate these, but with only 2, it isn't cost effective.. would have to wait until I scaled to 6-10 of them.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
CrypotoCreanis

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

Don’t do a screen name after 4 glasses of Chianti

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:33:25 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:12:16 AM by frodocooper

I am currently struggling w/ the exact same dilemma..  I live in Georgia, where we have HOT summers, sometimes mid-to-high 90's.

[...]

I feel like you and I are on the same page, but I am taking the rack mount idea, and mixing it with the cooler ideas found on here and youtube.

I bought one of these that has a sliding rack inside

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-Hardigg-Large-ECS-RackMount-ShockMount-Case-Military-Container-Blk/232478519406?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and am adding soundproofing with 2" sound proof panels that are 12"x12" to the case. I will run 3 S9's inside side by side, PSU's outside.

I have 10" insulated vent pipe going in one side, and the 3 S9's will be vented out the box through connectors into more 10" vent leading out a basement window with the help of a 10" inline fan.

I will pose pics when I get it further along
vmattprice

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 04:38:50 PM

Yea, sounds like the same basic idea, just different "vehicle" Smiley  How are you doing the filtering?  And are you doing anything with A/C, or just room air intake?  My worry is summertime in the garage.. Winter is a non-issue.
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:03:06 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:12:43 AM by frodocooper

Yea, sounds like the same basic idea, just different "vehicle" Smiley  How are you doing the filtering?  And are you doing anything with A/C, or just room air intake?  My worry is summertime in the garage.. Winter is a non-issue.

You will find the soundproof device for antminer s9 and l3+ to make your device without the noisy issue in your circle. With the sound proof device you will be able to keep your miner in your home or living area too.

Homedepot.com will be providing you the way to purchase it online.
Please watch the youtube video which can be used to antminer s9 with the below link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAjh5q1Tzw
CrypotoCreanis

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

Don’t do a screen name after 4 glasses of Chianti

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:55:03 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:13:00 AM by frodocooper

You will find the soundproof device for antminer s9 and l3+ to make your device without the noisy issue in your circle. With the sound proof device you will be able to keep your miner in your home or living area too.

Homedepot.com will be providing you the way to purchase it online.
Please watch the youtube video which can be used to antminer s9 with the below link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAjh5q1Tzw

Yes that is very close to what I will end up having, with my case being used in place of the cooler. 3 S9's will fit inside the case
CryptoYYZ

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 09:59:33 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 12:13:24 AM by frodocooper

How do you quiet the noise from traveling like a train throughout the house?

I have the same problem as I live in a smaller townhouse.  I picked up a 5" shroud on eBay and 30 feet of flexible insulated ducting from Home Depot ($50) to redirect the hot air out of my house and channel the cool outdoor air inside the enclosure.  YOU MUST ensure the warm air doesn't recirculate into the enclosure which is why the shroud directly connects to the Antminer with the 4 fan screws on the back Smiley  As an enclosure, I used a heavier duty Coleman cooler (the keep cool 5-7 day kind, ghetto I know) and cut a 5" hole on each side to run my ducting.  It works well and brings things from 85 decibels to a calming 65.  Thicker coolers are insulated which suppresses the noise.  As in previous posts, you can see a YouTube video of how it is made but it does not mention using a shroud for that airtight connection!

Feel free to message me and I can show you photos and where to get the shrouds etc.  Tons of places on eBay sell them.
vmattprice

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:27:12 PM

So how is this working, heat wise?

I may consider a collector in the top of the enclosure I plan on building with the shrouds+flexible tubing off each miner to the collector to vent.. The reason I hadn't considered this is due to the fact i'm going to have a huge vortex fan literally sucking the heat out of the enclosure at either 750 CFM or 1081 CFM (depending on if I go with 8 or 10 inch fan).. But, I suppose controlling the heat dissipation even further w/ the ducting up to the exhaust vent would only help keep things cooler since no ambient heat would escape for the most part.
Fleman

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:40:52 PM

Given that are the fans to make noise, isn't it enough to connect the two soundproof ducts to the miner without putting it in a box?
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:43:50 PM

As for back to the original problem, do you have the room to build a shed in the backyard?

I've sound-proofed the entire room, but am going to expand and move to a warehouse.  That'll solve the problem.
Xylber

Activity: 609
Merit: 124

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 10:47:08 PM

I've sound-proofed the entire room, but am going to expand and move to a warehouse.  That'll solve the problem.

What about the acoustical foam you bought? Worked or were useless?
Sr.Urbanist (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:32:12 AM

What about the acoustical foam you bought? Worked or were useless?

I wouldn't recommend the acoustic foam.   It was useless.  I bought some Safe N' Sound for the room and, then, the air vents let sound through.  The Safe N' Sound is really good though.  I would use it, again, in the future and recommend it.  

I'd need to do more construction for what I need and am going to sell the home, buy more miners, rent a warehouse and spend more time in Central America.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: