Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:59:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have Nvidia, does it worth to buy a radeon for mining scrypt coins?  (Read 653 times)
yeik (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 12:12:13 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here (first post).
So I was wondering...
right now I'm using an Nvidia Geforce GT540M (from a laptop) and cudaminer to mine Litecoin. With this gpu, i'm getting ~20kH/s. First question, ¿is this normal or i'm doing something wrong? I mean, could it get more kH/s?

Second question,
I've another computer (this is a normal, big desktop computer) that has a gpu that can't mine and I'm using it now to do cpu mining (just 2kH/s). Does it worth, with nowadays prices of cryptocoins, to spend 100$ on a Radeon gpu for this computer, or I will not get back the investment (or maybe do I will get it in years, almost as bad as not getting it)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 12:15:57 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here (first post).
So I was wondering...
right now I'm using an Nvidia Geforce GT540M (from a laptop) and cudaminer to mine Litecoin. With this gpu, i'm getting ~20kH/s. First question, ¿is this normal or i'm doing something wrong? I mean, could it get more kH/s?

Second question,
I've another computer (this is a normal, big desktop computer) that has a gpu that can't mine and I'm using it now to do cpu mining (just 2kH/s). Does it worth, with nowadays prices of cryptocoins, to spend 100$ on a Radeon gpu for this computer, or I will not get back the investment (or maybe do I will get it in years, almost as bad as not getting it)?

1st question yes. and you're losing much more than you gain.

2nd question radeon would only be good for mining some altcoins. gain questionable. just google a profit calcualtor
yeik (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 12:21:07 PM

Ok thank you. I'm going to compare the gain.

About the first question, so I could make that gpu to go faster by configuring it someway or something like that? There is any wiki or info website for this?
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 12:27:24 PM

Don't waste your time on nvidia mining. the cards are not made for mining.
yeik (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:05:40 PM

Ok, I get it. But at the 1st question what I was meaning if for THAT especific card (gt540m) is 20kH/s an expected output for scrypt or I could get more hashrate by changing some settings (the card isn't at litecoin wiki hardware table).
ac77

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:12:20 PM

Ok, I get it. But at the 1st question what I was meaning if for THAT especific card (gt540m) is 20kH/s an expected output for scrypt or I could get more hashrate by changing some settings (the card isn't at litecoin wiki hardware table).

sounds about right to me
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: