Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:19:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Block Erupter Price Drop  (Read 2944 times)
batt01 (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:13:33 AM

BTC Guild has dropped the price to .50btc. Could be AM dropped price to let the air out of the K1 Nano's sails.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:15:29 AM

Didn't a MASSIVE amount of Chinese and other resellers just got them in bulk at 0.1 BTC each?

Expect the price to drop a bit, but you're still paying several times what it cost them.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:16:23 AM

Maybe the heavy volume of their sales allow them better discounts and hence lower prices so as to deter competition.
elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:16:52 AM

So where can you buy them for 0.5 (or even 0.1)?

Timeframe for shipping?

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
batt01 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:18:53 AM

So where can you buy them for 0.5 (or even 0.1)?

Timeframe for shipping?

https://www.btcguild.com// you have to register an acct to order. Projected ship date shows on site. I  last one I ordered took about a week.  I paid 1.05 recently so it looks like I get a coupon to get one for .15, nice.

Since all other outlets are announcing this even though it was not supposed to happen until August 1, yes, USB Block Erupters are having a price cut!

USB Block Erupters are now on sale at 0.60 BTC per device (free shipping to US). A huge number of units are en route, which will clear the backorder, and leave roughly 1,000 units available for next day shipping by August 1.

If you ordered an Erupter at 1 BTC, all is not lost yet. A coupon program is being initiated by ASICMINER and distributed by BTC Guild. 30% of the units sold at 1 BTC will be eligible to purchase a 2nd unit for 0.10 BTC (+0.05 Shipping/Handling). The exact method of coupon distribution will be announced when coupon units arrive, which should be around August 5th.

batt01 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:37:32 AM

Didn't a MASSIVE amount of Chinese and other resellers just got them in bulk at 0.1 BTC each?

Expect the price to drop a bit, but you're still paying several times what it cost them.

Yes, still pricey, about 141.00USD per GH/s. The BFL Jalapeno would be about 50.00USD per GH/s, if you could get one at the listed price. But AM owns the market right now and they charge with the market will bear.  They will also have to drop the price on the Blade. I dont know the current selling price but they were very expensive.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 08:40:12 AM

BTC Guild has dropped the price to .50btc. Could be AM dropped price to let the air out of the K1 Nano's sails.

Not our sails as our sales have ramped up. K1s can go 350Mh/s without too much heat. We are pretty confident once we start shipping K1s will be the choice of the community. Especially if a % for each K1s is going to BKKCoins. Seems like supporting open source hardware might be something that is decider in this race. Months of gouging the community is coming to an end and we are glad to have helped push this price war.

We started the war... with our original prices offering .99 ,  .89 and .79 and for volume over 100+ we were offering discounts even higher. BE dropped prices to match. Then we dropped to .53 (49.99) and low and behold the BE groups nearly a week later based on "RUMOURS" dropped to .52 or .53 as well. Imagine that.

Let us see what happens next. Notice they are not the ones making these moves? Why? Holding out to the last penny can be squeezed out of the community.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
guyver

Activity: 216

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 09:51:24 AM

its pure and simple if the block erupters are being sold to the reseller's for 0.1btc.
You should not be paying more than 0.1 btc for one. Which reseller on here is doing group buys for BE at 0.1btc
reactor

Activity: 420

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 12:05:24 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2013, 01:05:14 PM by reactor

<snip />

The people selling the shovels will always be the ones winning. Smiley
xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:46:58 PM

Here's how it looks on paper.  I'd like to have an open and honest discussion around this, however it seems like that is rare in this industry.

A short timeline:

July 24th - CanaryInTheMine starts the rumors thread since he is getting lots of requests around the new pricing, telling us to wait until there is official word and that he won't confirm rumors. 

July 27th, 1:40am - Order goes into group buy #14, order confirmed shipped shortly thereafter

July 27th, 8:40pm - Canary opens new order at new price.  Claims shipping will begin on Monday (so units in-hand for new pricing?).

July 27th, around 9pm - Independent confirmation acquired from other group buy owners, new pricing was supposed to go into effect at a later date.  Also no info for the "returning buyer" discount that we've all heard so much about.

... wind back - Warz0r is trying to get a deal with Canary and is told the best price is still the old price, hint is that now is a good time to order (because he'll be eligible for super-cheap later?), but that turns into a flame war.  People take sides, blacklisting happens, blah blah blah.

And SilentSonicBoom, one of the other group runners, is taking orders to place with AsicMiner and is expecting delivery to him on Friday.  Meaning he does not have them in-hand, did not try to scoop every other seller, and seems like his posts were in direct response to Canary dropping the bomb early.

So how I read this...  Group buy owners have been working on this deal, it wasn't supposed to go into place for some time (possibly to coincide with the voucher deal), Canary swooped in and pre-ordered so he could sell before anyone else (and the agreed upon date for new pricing), meanwhile he likely received the GO #14 units alongside the new, lower priced, seemingly identical units, but continued to sell on GO #14 while waiting to be the first to pull the trigger on the new price.  As opposed to saying to everyone on GO #14 "Hey, your units are showing up with the cheaper ones, so to avoid the clusterfuck that is now happening between old buyers and new buyers I'll give you the .55 price, just hush up until I drop the bomb on Saturday", he kept taking orders and now all of the previous customers, for their loyalty, can wait until August 5th to figure out if they qualify for this coupon offer.  So while I could buy (from someone else) at this new low price, I have no idea if I qualify for the coupons so I don't want to buy .55BTC units if I am entitled to .15BTC units.

Quite frankly I'm not bashing anyone, business is business, but this looks bad.  It looks like Canary simultaneously screwed both current customers and other re-sellers/group owners.  Personally, I'd like to collect whatever units make it through the voucher/coupon program and not buy via Canary again.  My dealings with him have been professional, shipping was prompt and well packed, but this wreaks of one person taking his insider information, while inside a group that was all privy to this info, and opted to beat everyone to the punch.  In my industry we blacklist vendors like this because we value professionalism over profit, since it is understood the people selling the shovels will always be the ones winning.

1. Chinese sellers have been advertising the lower price for a few days now - the "rumor" was already mostly confirmed.

2. BTCGuild is actually the one who jumped the gun and made the announcement in English.  Canary simply re posted their announcement.

3. Everything I see looks like the announcement was to stay under wraps until August 5 to coincide with the coupon offering.

4. You can't possibly know how many units Canary had pre-ordered in #14, or how much he paid.  You're assuming because he's selling at .55 he paid the discounted price.  He has been preordering these for several batches now, and has been fulfilling the Eligius orders.   For all you know he's losing money on his in-stock. 

Professionalism > Profit.  Facts > FUD.  You have no way of knowing what prices have been actually paid for the units now offered for sale.  The questionable business practice thread should be focused on friedcat, rather than the GBOs.

From my perspective, Canary was abiding by the unconfirmed details of the price reduction and coupon program announcement date - certainly at friedcat's request. 

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:35:35 PM

I was in the irc channel when someone mentioned Canary's group buy, to which BTCGuild responded by posting.  And mentioned people were not supposed to announce yet. 

However it is being handled, taking orders at X while holding the post saying the new price is Y seems... off.

Points again to loss mitigation.  No one is complaining about those who sold these here at 2.0BTC or on eBay for $219 just as the price dropped to .99BTC

I'm not defending Canary, but as the only GBO who pre-ordered and stocked these, it was in his best interest to carry on until the official August 5 - would you have acted any different?  What if it was fiat instead of BTC

My guess (read speculation) is that someone got an itchy trigger finger.  Obiviously the Chinese sellers didn't wait at all.  Going by post dates/time, Canary fired off #15 right after informing us of BTCGuild's announcement.

I wasn't on irc, so I can't comment there - anyone got a transcript?

MSRP is still technically .89/.99BTC since no official announcement was made by friedcat. 

+1 on wondering how the coups will work, standing by for a few days to see how many more hubs I'm going to need.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:49:33 PM

Remember AM has shareholders...not philanthropists

Bicknellski, if the Ragin order ever gets worked out, I will probably send you 6 singles for K1s if that is what you do..  not sure if you take chips or not

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
DPoS

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:55:30 PM

also it isn't .5 it is .6

Hash Rate

330 MH/s

Power Source

USB (~2.5 watts)

Availability

Backorder: ETA August 1

Backorder Queue

850 Units

Shipping Time

3-5 Business Days

Price

0.60 BTC, Free Shipping

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
letuslook

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:56:29 PM

I'm really interested in the sudden price drop and what we can expect of the market as these block erupter be so easily available for everyone (in contrast to the BFL miners).

They will also start shipping international orders from 2e of august!

Do you guy's think they are still profitable to buy atm (at 0.6 btc)

~ Luc

systic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:16:47 PM

LOL i want in on the chinese group buys then! At even .25 id but a few hundred.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 06:22:19 PM

I was in the irc channel when someone mentioned Canary's group buy, to which BTCGuild responded by posting.  And mentioned people were not supposed to announce yet. 

However it is being handled, taking orders at X while holding the post saying the new price is Y seems... off.

Points again to loss mitigation.  No one is complaining about those who sold these here at 2.0BTC or on eBay for $219 just as the price dropped to .99BTC

I'm not defending Canary, but as the only GBO who pre-ordered and stocked these, it was in his best interest to carry on until the official August 5 - would you have acted any different?  What if it was fiat instead of BTC

My guess (read speculation) is that someone got an itchy trigger finger.  Obiviously the Chinese sellers didn't wait at all.  Going by post dates/time, Canary fired off #15 right after informing us of BTCGuild's announcement.

I wasn't on irc, so I can't comment there - anyone got a transcript?

MSRP is still technically .89/.99BTC since no official announcement was made by friedcat. 

+1 on wondering how the coups will work, standing by for a few days to see how many more hubs I'm going to need.
Welcome to the way the Chinese do business.   Time to learn Mandarin if you want to keep up.

DPoS

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 08:34:04 PM

I ordered another 4 to avg down the price of my 1st gens

now I can just say I paid 1.3 btc each  lol

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

all price dropping is good for us, the end user  Grin
forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 09:06:20 PM

What's up with all these small ass miners?
How come K16 & K64's aren't available to the masses like these little miners?

Anyways do you have any links to the 0.1BTC group buy?  Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: