Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:35:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving BIOS file to USB from Mac - > BIOS file not displaying in M-Flash  (Read 84 times)
Don Perfecto (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:11:57 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to update the BIOS on a MSI Z170 SLI Plus motherboard. This is my first build and I need to update the BIOS in order to install Windows 10.

Using my mac, I downloaded the BIOS update from the MSI website and saved it to a usb drive. When I run the usb in M-Flash, it shows the folder but none of the files are executable. Nothing happens when I click on any of them.

I looked online and saw some people saying that usb drives need to be properly formatted before they can be used to install a BIOS. I saw some mention that the flash drive needs to be in FAT or FAT32 format.

My question is this: is it possible that the proper files are not showing in M-Flash because I added them to the usb from my mac? If so, is there a way to accomplish this on a mac, or do I need to download the BIOS update and save it to the usb on a windows operating system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 08:26:37 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to update the BIOS on a MSI Z170 SLI Plus motherboard. This is my first build and I need to update the BIOS in order to install Windows 10.

Using my mac, I downloaded the BIOS update from the MSI website and saved it to a usb drive. When I run the usb in M-Flash, it shows the folder but none of the files are executable. Nothing happens when I click on any of them.

I looked online and saw some people saying that usb drives need to be properly formatted before they can be used to install a BIOS. I saw some mention that the flash drive needs to be in FAT or FAT32 format.

My question is this: is it possible that the proper files are not showing in M-Flash because I added them to the usb from my mac? If so, is there a way to accomplish this on a mac, or do I need to download the BIOS update and save it to the usb on a windows operating system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
yeah that's prolly the problem is you are trying to do part of it with a MAC, when this is all windows stuff. install windows 8 on the rig, and then do the bios, format hd then install windows 10

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Don Perfecto (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2017, 01:20:39 AM

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: