Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:27:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Patching  (Read 836 times)
melon (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 04:21:46 AM

Does an update work like a patch of the existing client or does the old version get auto removed after new install w/out harming old.wallet files. (the version running client file kept separate from .wallet data files) will I have to remove the older version and perform a backup of all .wallet files before doing so. New to all this tech stuff..i don't even own a cell phone... but I have a yubi key!

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2013, 05:54:42 AM

If you install a new version (and use all the default settings) it gets installed in a new directory. It is a separate version of MultiBit.

The wallets are stored in a user specific directory by default and are automatically picked up by the new version.

Once you are happy with the new version of MultiBit then you can uninstall the old version to save a bit of disk space if you want. Every version has an uninstaller shortcut to do this.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:04:18 AM

You should have a wallet backup(s) anyway.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
melon (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 09:09:38 AM

ok thanks for the clear answers, fella's !

Once was a man his name was Jed..had a lot of hair but it wasn't on his head !
xavier

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 03:00:03 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade to latest multibit from 0.4.x

Aside from my wallet, I have spent considerable time downloading the block chain and don't really want to have to download it again.

If I just copy MultiBit over existing installation, will it erease the existing block chain I downloaded? Even if block chain is stored in outside of main app package (in user homedir) - although I cannot see it in ~/Library/Application Support/MultiBit/ ...  will the new version be compatible with the old block chain download?

Cheers!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 03:14:47 PM

How the blockchain is dealt with is quite different in the latest code compared to the (pre bloom filter) 0.4.x code.

It now uses:
+ bloom filters - downloads only the relevant information for your wallet
+ checkpoints - smaller installer downloads.
+ also individual wallets keep track of the last block they saw.

If you download the most recent code it will use the new way of storing the blocks and won't touch the old blockstore.
All this data is stored in the user directory.

If you have quite old wallets it might take a few minutes to sync but I would not worry about it overly.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: