Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:09:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining help  (Read 542 times)
FoolishReporter (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 03:41:16 PM

Hello all. I'm a complete newbie to mining, so I came here to ask if long "droughts" of no shares are something that is commonplace with BTC mining. I'm set up on BTCGuild using GUIMiner. (I have a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop with an Intel graphics card, not an ideal set up I know.) For all of last week, everything was humming along fine and then over the weekend I had to restart my computer etc. Since then, GUIMiner shows me to be mining, but that's about it. Haven't received an accepted share in almost two days.

So again, as a newbie, I was just wondering if these long periods of time without any noticeable progress being made is commonplace, or if there's something goofy on my end.

Thanks!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:08:13 PM

When I was a noob, I used guiminer to mine because terminal style miners seemed too complicated. But when I tried using them, they were very easy to use, all I had to do was type in my pool account stuff and the rest is taken care of. Plus I was hashing faster than with guiminer. I suggest bfgminer. Exactly what are you using to mine?

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:11:39 PM

I would suggest CGMiner for start, GUI was easy to begin with, but CGMiner is much better IMO.

As far as no progress, not sure what you mean.. ARe you on PPS or PPLNS..? What do you mean, no shares showing?

BTC Long.
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:17:14 PM

Hello all. I'm a complete newbie to mining, so I came here to ask if long "droughts" of no shares are something that is commonplace with BTC mining. I'm set up on BTCGuild using GUIMiner. (I have a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop with an Intel graphics card, not an ideal set up I know.) For all of last week, everything was humming along fine and then over the weekend I had to restart my computer etc. Since then, GUIMiner shows me to be mining, but that's about it. Haven't received an accepted share in almost two days.

So again, as a newbie, I was just wondering if these long periods of time without any noticeable progress being made is commonplace, or if there's something goofy on my end.

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly ...You are mining with a laptop with internal graphics card....If this is the case...You will burn up they laptop before you have any considerable coins....and be out of a laptop....If you are doing it just for the fun of it..I would suggest picking up a block erupter....It will find you more shares and take it easy on your internal video card.....with the price drop and all....its not going to make you rich...but it will make mining more fun....
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:18:22 PM

Stop mining with your laptop.

If you want to get some BTC, then check out the giveaways, coinchat, faucets, etc.

You will get more with faucets than you will with your laptop.  If you want to get a n00b mining rig, I suggest finding a 5850 on craigslist or eBay and putting together a small rig.  Hopefully you have some spare parts laying around for a desktop, but if not, you can always find some cheap stuff to throw together.  Also, mining BTC with a GPU is a lost cause.  Mine an alt-coin and then trade it for BTC.

Good luck!  The world of Bitcoins is very exciting.  
boatase

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:46:39 PM

Thanks!

I would never mine BTC with a laptop. You should instead mine altcoins or something else with a lower difficulty where it may still be possible. Also, you could CPU mine stuff like XPM and quarkcoins.
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:12:53 PM

(I have a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop with an Intel graphics card, not an ideal set up I know.)

For the love of.....Please stop Mining.
10bserver8

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:59:01 AM

block erupters
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:05:33 AM

If your hash rate is so slow that you don't find anything valid before the block changes you may never find anything.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: