Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:07:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whining noise from S9 fan?  (Read 399 times)
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 11:05:51 PM

High-backpressure-tolerant many-blade fan designs are notorious for their high-pitched "whine" when running at high RPMs.

It's PROBABLY normal.

Concur that its normal.  That said, the screw torque or filter material may help you adjust it to something less annoying.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ruinous

Activity: 94
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 01:17:01 AM

Have you tried the filters on any 741, 821's from Canaan? They can whistle to although I find it more bearable than the s9 at max fan speeds.

Unfortunately only have experience with S3s, S4s, S7s, and S9s.  Thinking about dipping into 841s, but that is a different thread.

Roger that, a bit relevant to the whistle/wine but not an antminer.

I'll give it shot and update in another thread about the avalons as I was at Home Depot today and grabbed some duct filters. They seem pretty thick so I'll set it up when I have time to monitor temps for a couple hours with shop doors closed and just intake and exhaust fans on (only have 350 CFM in/out for my small mine).
ruinous

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 04:22:14 AM

Well I added the filter to the s9 had a 10C change in moments which made me nervous to leave as I got ready to end the day. So I cut a piece in proportion to the tape I had to control the sound, now I have more air flow than previously and less whine/whistle. I think as well, when the really cooler months come again I might use these to filter the air, reducing dust and bring temps up. As s9 like to run warmer than s7 which seemed to like 60-70C for me.

Any thoughts on the filter causing a fire hazard if enough of the poly is pulled in over time? 
ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:53:34 AM

The ones I bought at Lowes were approximately 4" x 12" and no more than a 1/4" thick.  They were designed to be put into air duct floor registers.

Edit:  Found them https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-12-Pack-Green-and-White-Bag-Register-Vent-Filter/3122205

ruinous

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 08:12:07 AM

Essentially that's what I purchased at HD. Not much in details on the packaging though.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 09:02:01 PM

Well I added the filter to the s9 had a 10C change in moments which made me nervous to leave as I got ready to end the day. So I cut a piece in proportion to the tape I had to control the sound, now I have more air flow than previously and less whine/whistle. I think as well, when the really cooler months come again I might use these to filter the air, reducing dust and bring temps up. As s9 like to run warmer than s7 which seemed to like 60-70C for me.

Any thoughts on the filter causing a fire hazard if enough of the poly is pulled in over time? 

Put a fan guard between the fan and the filter material, jammed fan = significant probability of overheated and DEAD miner even if you don't get a fire (which isn't REAL high probability).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ccgllc
Copper Member

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 11:17:54 PM

Put a fan guard between the fan and the filter material, jammed fan = significant probability of overheated and DEAD miner even if you don't get a fire (which isn't REAL high probability).

Don't all S9s come with a fan guard?  All of mine did.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: