Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:37:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deepbit nearly at 50%! Change Pool now!  (Read 4336 times)
ThePok (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:09:47 AM

As stated in the Topic, deepbit is becoming to strong! Cry

Bitcoins wont be save anymore!

We have to act!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:56:32 AM

DoS much?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 12:08:56 PM

Is this true? Is there anywhere we can view the current statistics? I thought DeepBit has had over 50% once before.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
haydent

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 12:13:34 PM

AFAIK even if worst case take over of deepbit network happened it would only mean temporary problem for bitcoin network, as new client version will be released to reject fake block chain, and people will stop using deepbit at that point, and probably more in the future once they have had that sort of thing happen.

so dont fret, but sure peeps out there should be better educated that being with biggest pool doesn't necessarily have any particular advantages worth choosing it for.

i started with deepbit but have since moved to a local (my country) based pool which has a real tight nit and helpful community that you get that chance to become friends with in irc etc.

Cheesy

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
pbj sammich

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 12:27:14 PM

Is this true? Is there anywhere we can view the current statistics? I thought DeepBit has had over 50% once before.

try http://bitcoinwatch.com/
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 12:32:09 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2011, 01:00:19 PM by bitfreak!

try http://bitcoinwatch.com/

True, I forgot about that. But yeah, bitcoinwatch is showing DeepBit has close to 50%. I really don't know why so many people use DeepBit, what is the attraction? Popularity?

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 12:45:33 PM

The bigger the pool, the less time a block is found so ppl see a steadier rate of income (less variance)

It's weird, some days ago polls were balanced...

Erikbfarm

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 01:39:03 PM

As stated in the Topic, deepbit is becoming to strong! Cry

Bitcoins wont be save anymore!

We have to act!

It'll never be allowed to go over the 50% barrier, at the very least i'm sure tycho will prevent it himself.
AnnihilaT

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:02:05 PM

The sky is falling!!!!!
DanielleEber

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:05:12 PM

It'll never be allowed to go over the 50% barrier, at the very least i'm sure tycho will prevent it himself.

Why would Tycho limit his own income?  He gets 3% of the pool, so bigger is better I would assume.
pbj sammich

Activity: 272

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:07:20 PM

The bigger the pool, the less time a block is found so ppl see a steadier rate of income (less variance)

It's weird, some days ago polls were balanced...

I think you need to take into account the recent DDoS attacks - BTCGuild is still done for example and I know that is a popular pool
hsf_context

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 03:18:10 PM

Eh, I won't act like a know a lot so I'll ask.
Would it be bad for a pool to exceed 50%?

Digital artist for hire! Sketches anyone?
Want a custom Photoshop artwork? PM me! GIF banners available too!
linkme

Activity: 324

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:22:58 PM

when a pool owns over 50% they can in theory do everything bitcoin doesnt want them to Tongue

like:

freeze accounts, reverse transactions (by delay effectivly)

and introduce bogus blocks since they are the ones who varify them Wink
hsf_context

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 03:31:57 PM

when a pool owns over 50% they can in theory do everything bitcoin doesnt want them to Tongue

like:

Whew, that would be very very bad  Tongue
Anyhoo, I'm mining at bitcoinpool.

Digital artist for hire! Sketches anyone?
Want a custom Photoshop artwork? PM me! GIF banners available too!
TheLuckyGuy

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:35:55 PM

yeah I changed the pool but mine is getting DDosed !
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:53:50 PM

Nah, I'm good.
bitebitebite

Activity: 95

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:11:48 PM

like:

Personally I dont worry about this (but then Im possibly quite wrong) as why bother with this? when they are making so much anyway. Perhaps someone more in the know can slap some sense into me? Grin
jg

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:44:57 PM

Does anyone know if BTCGuild is going to re-open?
lolcat

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:50:57 PM

I moved to a smaller pool even though Im not mining much i directed my miners to the Bitclockers.com pool
bitterness

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 07:03:02 PM

Why would Tycho limit his own income?  He gets 3% of the pool, so bigger is better I would assume.

If the assumption spreads the block chain is compromised, his BTC income will be worthless in notime. And for this to happen, it must not be true. Some short selling jerk could easily throw in fake chains and claim double spending on some of the transactions deepbit validated. Until the mess is cleaned up, BitCoin might be dead anyways.

So unless a pools mission is to destroy trust in BTC, it's absolutely in their interest to never come close to 50% hashing power.
coinotron
Legendary

Activity: 1182

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 08:03:31 PM

Try www.coinotron.com Smiley

Test Bank Guy

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:34:00 PM

Would Slush's be a good alternative?
DullJack

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:38:10 PM

Any pool is a good alternative when Deepbit is hovering within 2-5% of taking the majority. You guys don't have to stop mining deepbit altogether but if a majority of miners point just 1 or 2 cards somewhere else, you will help Bitcoin maintain its integrity as a whole and also help a smaller pool get onto their feet. Double awesome!
Stiletto

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:38:28 PM

like:

And if they're doing incredibly well as a result of retaining such a large membership in their pool, why would they risk that by engaging in the types of shenanigans you're talking about?
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 09:52:35 PM

True but what if someone hack deepbit ? By being popular they also become a target

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Kanti

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:23:21 PM

I switched from BTCG to DB due to the DDOS (why are botnets so bad anyways?) and so far it seems my payouts aren't nearly as high as when I was with BTCG.  Sure my uptime is better, but whats the point of being connected 100% of the time when being connected at <24/7 yields more profits (in my case anyways). 
AnnihilaT

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:25:29 AM

I switched from BTCG to DB due to the DDOS (why are botnets so bad anyways?) and so far it seems my payouts aren't nearly as high as when I was with BTCG.  Sure my uptime is better, but whats the point of being connected 100% of the time when being connected at <24/7 yields more profits (in my case anyways). 

There was also just a difficulty increase.  This may be why you see less earnings.  Just one other option to consider.
Kanti

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:08:52 AM

If only the value of BTC went up along with the difficulty  Undecided  Mining is still profitable for me but if the value gets left behind as difficulty takes off...  It's a depressing thought that one day I may have to hang up my hard hat...
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:16:16 AM

There was also just a difficulty increase.  This may be why you see less earnings.  Just one other option to consider.
Necromuch?
Kanti

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:14:53 AM

There's a rather large difference between my avg. Mhash on the webUI for deepbit compared to my GUIMiner stats.  difficulty increase or not, I find a 33% discrepancy to be rather peculiar to say the least.  With BTCGuild, all my stats were spot on. 
Opsamk

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 10:28:41 AM

Im getting more bitcoin using PPS instead of proportional.

1GPsFkReoJi8isJk1Vyry7NVnL2qpaC9Ja

Feeling generous? Send me some bits Smiley
AnnihilaT

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:07:43 AM

There's a rather large difference between my avg. Mhash on the webUI for deepbit compared to my GUIMiner stats.  difficulty increase or not, I find a 33% discrepancy to be rather peculiar to say the least.  With BTCGuild, all my stats were spot on. 

Well if you arent happy and looking for other options, see my sig Smiley
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 12:01:23 PM

That's amazing, a pool owner gets 1.5% of all bitcoins minted...and people still keep signing up...
kroongh

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:05:48 PM

I switched from BTCG to DB due to the DDOS (why are botnets so bad anyways?)

Because the owners of the computers in the botnet never agreed to others using their computers?
AnnihilaT

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:57:45 PM

That's amazing, a pool owner gets 1.5% of all bitcoins minted...and people still keep signing up...

Depends on the pool.  deepbit takes 3%,  other take none.   It ranges anywhere from nothing to 3%.  I think its amazing that people stay at deepbit when they have the highest fees.   I guess its the instant payout option.   Only thing i can figure. Smiley
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 01:52:52 PM

I know their fee is 3%. Of the block solve prize of 50BTC plus transaction fees, they pay miners 48.5BTC. I was pointing out deepbit's profits: if deepbit is 50% of the network hashing, and solves 50% of the blocks, and keeps 1.5BTC each + ~.1 transaction fees,  they are solving about 75 blocks a day, that's about 120BTC profit -> $1,800 a day that deepbit makes.

The point of this thread is that bitcoin is designed so that no one entity has enough computer power to be able forge a sequence of blocks on the bitcoin network. This is to protect against attacks by malevolent actors. It was not anticipated that the users themselves would pool up and give a single party control over the majority of hash power.

The chart at http://www.bitcoinwatch.com/ had deepbit as more than 50% of the hash power seconds ago, but deepbit just disappeared and appears to be down.
Auspician

Activity: 126
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:56:43 PM

I don't think most people understand the danger of a single pool controlling 50% of all Bitcoin mining.  Since after 6 confirmations a transaction is verified, all it would take would be to submit fraudulent transactions and succeed in attaining 6 blocks in a row to make them permanent, vastly undermining confidence in the network and Bitcoin.

At 50%, there is a 1.5% chance every hour that were deepbit compromised it could falsify transactions and make them stick.  Were deepbit only at 20%, there would instead be a 0.0064% chance.  Ideally, no pool should be more than 10% of the total networks hashing power, giving instead a 0.0001% chance of defrauding the network.

To put this another way, if a pool with 10% of the network hashing power was compromised it would take an average of 19 years to defraud the network with false transactions.  A pool with 20% of the network hashing power would take only an average of 108 days.  A pool with 50% of the network hashing power could break the network in an average of a mere 11 hours.  While it is absurdly unlikely that a pool would remain compromised for years or even months, a pool could easily be compromised for a day or two before anyone would notice - longer if the hacker was very skilled or backed with powerful funding (such as by a government).

It should be readily apparent the danger of letting a single pool control such a high percentage of the mining market.  We all need to do our part to diversify the network by hashing with smaller pools until no single pool controls more than 20% of the network's hashing power.  

I recommend Triple Mining (58Ghash/s, 0.5% network hashing power) for its unique features and friendly community if you're looking for a smaller pool that rewards its members.  If interested, check out the link in my sig.  If not, find a smaller pool that suits your tastes and focus your hashing power there.  If you don't, there is a good possibility that in less time than anyone thinks the value of a BTC could be zero.
jwzguy

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:14:42 PM

If you don't, there is a good possibility that in less time than anyone thinks the value of a BTC could be zero.
No, there isn't. But thanks for shilling your pool so I know which ones never to go to.
Auspician

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 02:39:25 PM

If you don't, there is a good possibility that in less time than anyone thinks the value of a BTC could be zero.
No, there isn't. But thanks for shilling your pool so I know which ones never to go to.

No need for the hostility . . .  If you disagree with my workup in the previous post, I'd welcome your feedback. 
jwzguy

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:07:58 PM

No need to have thousands of threads on the exact same topic, either. And yet, here is another one.

Do "PANIC! Deepbit is too big!" threads and "BTC will never succeed" threads make up over 50% of this board yet?

I am on Slush's pool until BTCGuild is back online. I will never join any pool whose owner attacks another pool for being too successful.

Have a nice day.
AnnihilaT

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:14:18 PM

No need to have thousands of threads on the exact same topic, either. And yet, here is another one.

Do "PANIC! Deepbit is too big!" threads and "BTC will never succeed" threads make up over 50% of this board yet?

I am on Slush's pool until BTCGuild is back online. I will never join any pool whose owner attacks another pool for being too successful.

Have a nice day.

+1 Cheesy
Auspician

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:32:17 PM

I will never join any pool whose owner attacks another pool for being too successful.

I don't object to the success of any pool on that fact alone; quite the contrary, I believe successful entrepreneurs deserve the success they have achieved.  That said, a lack of diversification in mining pools weakens the entire network, and all you're doing is sticking your head in the sand and saying 'it could never happen'.  

I provided the statistics of how it *could* happen.  Its your choice if you decide not to take action based upon the facts, but don't deny that the facts exist purely because you don't like the direction they point to.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:38:03 PM

Depends on the pool.  deepbit takes 3%,  other take none.   It ranges anywhere from nothing to 3%.  I think its amazing that people stay at deepbit when they have the highest fees.   I guess its the instant payout option.   Only thing i can figure. Smiley
It's the stability and reliability that makes it worth it.  BTCGuild and BTCMine kept having problems every time I tried them.  I ended up losing far more in BTC production because their pools went down than I would have paid simply to stay at deepbit.  So I stay at deepbit.
jwzguy

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:41:20 PM

I will never join any pool whose owner attacks another pool for being too successful.

I don't object to the success of any pool on that fact alone; quite the contrary, I believe successful entrepreneurs deserve the success they have achieved.  That said, a lack of diversification in mining pools weakens the entire network, and all you're doing is sticking your head in the sand and saying 'it could never happen'.  

I provided the statistics of how it *could* happen.  Its your choice if you decide not to take action based upon the facts, but don't deny that the facts exist purely because you don't like the direction they point to.

I replied to exactly one line of your post. Re-read it. Calling what I replied to a "fact" is ignorant, or you're just trolling. You skipped a lot of logic between your statistics and your conclusion.

Pool diversification is great. Accomplish it with merit, not by attacking pools with a bigger chunk than yourself.
Auspician

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:16:45 PM

I replied to exactly one line of your post. Re-read it. Calling what I replied to a "fact" is ignorant, or you're just trolling. You skipped a lot of logic between your statistics and your conclusion.

Pool diversification is great. Accomplish it with merit, not by attacking pools with a bigger chunk than yourself.

You replied saying that my conclusion was erroneous, without saying why.  Objecting to the conclusion without objecting to the steps to get there shows a lack of understanding or willful ignorance.  Perhaps I missed a step in my explanation.  If this is the case, tell me where the step was missed and I can attempt to explain it or admit my error.  Otherwise your objection is utterly meaningless without reason and evidence; unless you think that Bitcoin will continue to be seen as valuable when people can spend your coins for you without your consent? 

Also; when did I 'attack' any other pool?  I didn't say anything bad about deepbit other than the somewhat obvious dangers that occur with a pool that large.  I'd say the same thing regardless of what pool it was, because being that large is dangerous to the network as a whole.  If pointing out the reality of a situation paints a particular group in a bad light, you can't hold the artist responsible.  I just call it as I see it.

jwzguy

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:30:30 PM

You replied saying that my conclusion was erroneous, without saying why.  Objecting to the conclusion without objecting to the steps to get there shows a lack of understanding or willful ignorance.  Perhaps I missed a step in my explanation.  If this is the case, tell me where the step was missed and I can attempt to explain it or admit my error.  Otherwise your objection is utterly meaningless without reason and evidence; unless you think that Bitcoin will continue to be seen as valuable when people can spend your coins for you without your consent? 

Also; when did I 'attack' any other pool?  I didn't say anything bad about deepbit other than the somewhat obvious dangers that occur with a pool that large.  I'd say the same thing regardless of what pool it was, because being that large is dangerous to the network as a whole.  If pointing out the reality of a situation paints a particular group in a bad light, you can't hold the artist responsible.  I just call it as I see it.

Burden of proof is on you, not me, for making a statement like that. You went from pointing out a possibility to concluding it was highly likely "soon."

Regardless, posting in the umpteenth thread about deepbit being dangerous is not doing you any favors. I don't have a personal problem with you, props to everyone who starts a pool. I'm telling you - as a guy with a decent amount of mining power - this shit is beyond old. Reading past all the nonsense going on here is exhausting now. There have been A LOT of these threads. ENOUGH ALREADY. If you are determined to restate and re-argue this point YET AGAIN, there's no way I'm signing up on your pool.

That's my advice to you, as a pool op, take it or leave it. I'm not bumping this thread any more. Peace.

rnd0000

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:45:19 PM

What is the concrete scenario of deepbit (or some Other pool) to do something bad?

The pool attracts people because one get something in reasonable time. Its really disheartening to newcomers
to wait for more than a day (eg, the other pool I am mining on, shows 01day(s) 15hours current round!).

When I see that, I want to redirect my miners somewhere else, even without reading about how pool-hopping
is bad.

What is the alternative? Solo-mining with waiting for 50BTC for 2 months? Some other wonderful new pool,
which is not stable enough?

What is the real compelling incentive to switch? And where to switch to?

Auspician

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:51:41 PM

Burden of proof is on you, not me, for making a statement like that. You went from pointing out a possibility to concluding it was highly likely "soon."

I provided the evidence and numbers for my position. 

There have been A LOT of these threads. ENOUGH ALREADY.

Have you considered that maybe there really is something to our concerns?  This is the first I've commented on this particular subject, but if others are saying the same thing (and we reached this conclusion independently) does that not give credence to the idea?

That's my advice to you, as a pool op, take it or leave it. I'm not bumping this thread any more. Peace.

If you're not interested in discussing this point, that's fine by me.  Others will surely be curious, and I'll be happy to explain my conclusions to them.  If my conclusions are inaccurate, I would appreciate their inaccuracies being pointed out to me so I can stop misleading people.  But until evidence is shown that convinces me that they are not accurate, I will continue to share them widely.

Oh, and I'm not a pool op.

rnd0000

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:28:57 PM

Can't find it elsewhere. Is it so, that only block-generating bitcoin "clients" are verifying transactions?
What is the point of leaving the non-generating clients open then?

der8auer

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:30:50 PM

I'd switch if there was a good alternative offering the same as deepbit.

Currently I see no need to change
Auspician

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:32:40 PM

Can't find it elsewhere. Is it so, that only block-generating bitcoin "clients" are verifying transactions?

A block is simply a register of transactions.  Finding a block is simply verifying those transactions.  This means that only the miners who find a block are verifying transactions since the previous block was found.

These days people don't typically mine through the client (except some CPU miners).  The only reason I can see to leave the client open is to allow it to catch up to the blockchain, and automatically download every new block without a delay.
rnd0000

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:54:06 PM

A block is simply a register of transactions.  Finding a block is simply verifying those transactions.  This means that only the miners who find a block are verifying transactions since the previous block was found.

These days people don't typically mine through the client (except some CPU miners).  The only reason I can see to leave the client open is to allow it to catch up to the blockchain, and automatically download every new block without a delay.

Thank you for clarification. Then I see the whole point with deepbit.net.
somebadger

Activity: 170

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:00:28 AM

i dont see it as a real problem, if deepbit decided to abuse the power of having more than 50% then everyone would leave them, giving them less than 50% Tongue

or u can just keep the system balanced and join another independent pool, like mine Smiley 
openrune

Activity: 62

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 12:56:09 AM

I realy agree that there should be more pools that balance the total hashrate between more then just a few big pools out, if you like to join the TENOBIS MINE feel free to do so! http://mine.tenobis.com

0 Fee TENOBIS MINE
http://mine.tenobis.com
Dnt mind any donation!
19gD6ZNxSReeNf18A2ftYeDK5uuJ5VDKnu
SimplePanda

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:16:10 AM

A I missing something? According to the charts Slush is almost as big as Deepbit.
Seems as long as their is direct competition it's not the end of the world.
btcboston

Activity: 101

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 02:18:43 AM

There are plenty of alternatives offering a much better deal than deepbit.  Deepbit charges the highest fees of almost any pool out there.

openrune

Activity: 62

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 12:07:27 PM

There are plenty of alternatives offering a much better deal than deepbit.  Deepbit charges the highest fees of almost any pool out there.

The Fees of the large pools was one of the resons why we made the TENOBIS MINE a 0 Fee Pool http://mine.tenobis.com

So there are many alternative pools out there Wink

0 Fee TENOBIS MINE
http://mine.tenobis.com
Dnt mind any donation!
19gD6ZNxSReeNf18A2ftYeDK5uuJ5VDKnu
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 09:10:01 PM

I don't really get why people mine at Deepbit. There are many pools that are big enough to not have any significant variance in solving blocks that do not have any fees. The 50% issue is a problem but that's just one of the reasons to not mine at Deepbit, the other one is the fees.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:12:57 PM

I don't get it..why it's bad if deepbit have more that 50% of market share?

See http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:47:36 AM

I don't really get why people mine at Deepbit. There are many pools that are big enough to not have any significant variance in solving blocks that do not have any fees. The 50% issue is a problem but that's just one of the reasons to not mine at Deepbit, the other one is the fees.

A lot of people love the pps (pay per share) system. And it seems that nobody can do the math and see that the pool gets more or less 10% from the miners. I guess those are the same miners that are happy when the newest mining gets them another 0.1% - switching pool would bring an order of magnitude more... It seems a lot of bitcoin miners like to pay the highest fees. One wonders how that fits in the bitcoin world.
ned123

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:23:45 PM

PPS was more important when computational power was small and rounds lasted for ever (couple of hours or even days), now it is useless because as you said it cost much larger fee.

Oh and I would gladly return to Slush's pool but for now it is not fully compatible with newer versions of Diablo Miner. Deepbit gives me almost 15% more Mhps (including much less stales on Deepbit). Older versions of Diablo are some 10% slower on both pools
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: