Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:38:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your favourite theory/paradox? (Preferably scientific).  (Read 224 times)
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:29:15 PM

My favorite is the predestination paradox and my favorite take on this was on Robert Heinlein’s short story called “All you Zombies”. It was adapted into film and titled “Predestination”
(Sings I’m my own grandpa in the background)

The trailer says "You will love this film". Guess they really have a time machine. Tongue

Added it to the list.

Predestination is a brilliant movie, one of my favourites actually. If you like Predestination, you'll also like Netflix's new series "Dark", it's a German language film but has been dubbed, or subbed. Either way, it's brilliant. The Man from Earth is also a good movie with a similar theme.
I'll go with the native dub, since translations usually lose a lot of nuance. Thankfully I speak German well enough to watch this one without translations. I've heard about the Man from Earth but still haven't watched it. Is the 2017 movie a sequel? And if so, is it worth watching as well?

I've read about the sequel, but haven't got around to watch it yet. Honestly I prefer the German dub of Dark as sometimes the English voices sound too excessive. Dark starts off relatively slow, but by the end you'll be glad you watched it, it is beautifully written and masterfully shot. You might also like The Time Traveller's Wife, Interstellar, Pandorum and if you watch anime, then Noein. These are all related to time travel, parallel universes and the like, and all are great in their own way, particularly Interstellar and The Time Traveller's Wife.
I've watched Noein and Interstellar, both of which I enjoyed quite a lot. Will add the rest to my list.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:31:28 PM

Am going to go with Moravec's paradox:

Moravec's paradox is the discovery by artificial intelligence and robotics researchers that, contrary to traditional assumptions, high-level reasoning requires very little computation, but low-level sensorimotor skills require enormous computational resources. The principle was articulated by Hans Moravec, Rodney Brooks, Marvin Minsky and others in the 1980s. As Moravec writes, "it is comparatively easy to make computers exhibit adult level performance on intelligence tests or playing checkers, and difficult or impossible to give them the skills of a one-year-old when it comes to perception and mobility."[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravec%27s_paradox
It's remarkably difficult to actually move if you really try to think of all the steps that you take in making it work. Which is part of why I'm fascinated by people who believe that they can't ever pick up an instrument, Mathematics, languages, or any other skill. You don't see babies giving up when they fall down after a failed attempt at walking.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: