Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:20:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-12-25] Winklevoss Twins Will Not Sell, Even if Bitcoin Price Hits $380,000  (Read 158 times)
moriskarlov (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 09:42:30 AM

Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss, better known as the Winklevoss twins, still believe bitcoin will remain as the best investment over the next few decades.

$8 Trillion Market Cap

In 2012, when Facebook went public, the Winklevoss twins received $45 million from the settlement of Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg. In spite of their lawyers’ recommendation to take a cash deal of $45 million, the Winklevoss twins received the settlement in Facebook shares. By 2013, the Winklevoss twins amassed a fortune of $300 million, as the shares of Facebook skyrocketed.

After a successful exit from Facebook, the Winklevoss twins started to purchase bitcoin at $10, during a time in which only a handful of investors such as Roger Ver and Charlie Shrem had invested in the cryptocurrency. Over a span of a few months, the Winklevoss twins purchased 120,000 bitcoin at a $11 million valuation.

Today, the 120,000 bitcoins purchased by the Winklevoss twins are worth $1.68 billion, and the Twins have netted the twins a profit of $1.669 billion within merely four years.

While several analysts have stated that the growth of bitcoin is limited given its market valuation has already achieved $236 billion. However, the Winklevoss twins told Nathaniel Poppers of the New York Times that the price of bitcoin will likely increase exponentially throughout many years ahead, as it evolves into a major asset class, robust store of value, and medium of exchange.

The Winklevoss twins further emphasized that they will not sell bitcoin even when its market cap surpasses that of gold at $8 trillion or when its price surpasses $380,950. Tyler Winklevoss noted that bitcoin is better than gold because it is programmable as money and has many advantages over the traditional asset such as transportability, fungibility, security, and divisibility.

“In a funny way, I’m not sure we’d even sell there [when bitcoin price surpasses $380,950]. Bitcoin is more than gold — it’s a programmable store of money. It may continue to innovate,” Tyler told the New York Times in an interview.

More importantly, Tyler added that the Winklevoss twins are not affected by the high volatility and rapid price movements of bitcoin, because they believe in the long-term performance of the cryptocurrency and the technology behind bitcoin.

“We are very comfortable in very high-risk environments with absolutely no guarantee of success. I don’t mean existing in that environment for days, weeks or months. I mean year after year.”

Winklevoss Twins and Gemini

Apart from their success as early-stage bitcoin investors, since 2015, the Winklevoss twins have operated one of the most widely utilized cryptocurrency exchanges in the global market, Gemini.

As a fully regulated cryptocurrency exchange by the US government, Gemini has continued to serve professional traders and casual investors in the US market, accounting for a large portion of the USD-to-BTC trading pair.

Ari Paul, the co-founder of cryptocurrency hedge fund Blocktower and highly respected cryptocurrency analyst, explained that Gemini is an underappreciated exchange. Although it lacks the trading volume and user base of Coinbase and GDAX, Gemini remains as one of the few exchanges US-based investors trust.

“Gemini is an underappreciated exchange, one of the few exchanges I trust as a custodian,” said Paul.

https://www.ccn.com/winklevoss-twins-will-not-sell-bitcoin-even-if-its-price-hits-380000/
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:15:53 AM

I admire these two guys as they really have the right kind of vision on what they want and what they are doing...always looking forward into the future and not willing to sacrifice of what can be for immediate gratification. No wonder the twins are considered to be one of the most successful Bitcoin investors and holders these past many years. They are always the source of wisdom and guidance and much-sought after guests so that others can ask their views on their investments. I salute these guys. Anyway, they can always afford to continually on holding since they are already rich and there is no need to spend on anything. Will their projection one day be the standard for Bitcoin? I really hope so.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:41:55 AM

I get it, but it's just hard to believe, unless Bitcoin starts actually taking over the financial world more and more, or gold as per the example. I see it more as something meant to be a motivational speech for those who doubt Bitcoin.

Also, selling doesn't necessarily means that you liquidate your Bitcoins to get fiat in return. Buying properties with Bitcoin to liquidate your profits can be seen as selling as well. It's just how you look at it.

That being said, I really like the attitude of these twins. They have remained pretty much the same as how they were back in the early days, which can't be said about Roger Ver and some other camp shifters.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 914

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 12:27:34 PM

I really regret that Zuckerberg stole the Winkelvoss twins idea about Harvard Connection.
I hate Facebook and social media and i wish that we could create a blockchain based decentralized social media without censorship.Anyway,it`s good that the Winklevoss twins remain the biggest supporters for bitcoin core,despite all the transaction spam issues inside the blockchain.

hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 02:03:20 PM

Winklevoss brothers are a good example why whale hodlers can be better than small holders - they are going to hodl it regardless of FUD and crashes, which is something you can't say about many small investors. Hodler whales can be a very good stabilizing factor for Bitcoin, since smaller investors might feel more safe knowing that some whales are not going to dump their coins and believe in the future of Bitcoin.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 02:04:26 PM

I really like these two gentlemen. I admire their hard work and investing history and now they hold cryptocurrency that is worth a billion US dollars. But what u really like about these two guys is their vision for bitcoin. I'they don't just see it as a mere instrument to make them billionaires. I also get why they don't want to sell if bitcoin hits $300,000. Bitcoin is such an innovative and exciting technology, I can't imagine selling it off. It's something I want to be a part of.
TriplexXx

Activity: 176
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:36:31 AM

These twins loves bitcoin more than everyone else. tell me a single guy that holds bitcoin from 2013 to date without selling a single one? Guess, nobody right? Perhaps, Satoshi, right? These guys are into bitcoin not because of money, they are into it because they love it. that is there passion. I salute them for that. Cool
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:36:57 PM

These twins loves bitcoin more than everyone else. tell me a single guy that holds bitcoin from 2013 to date without selling a single one? Guess, nobody right? Perhaps, Satoshi, right? These guys are into bitcoin not because of money, they are into it because they love it. that is there passion. I salute them for that. Cool

I would do the same if I had a couple hundred millions in other assets. I'm still holding coins dating back to 2014 and haven't sold when the prices hit $100. Of course i have sold some over the years when the prices kept growing but it would be hard for me to function without cashing out, mainly because I preferred that from taking a loan. If I had a million lying around in my deposit box, like the twins, I wouldn't have to sell anything.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:03:04 AM

As a fully regulated cryptocurrency exchange by the US government, Gemini has continued to serve professional traders and casual investors in the US market, accounting for a large portion of the USD-to-BTC trading pair.

Ari Paul, the co-founder of cryptocurrency hedge fund Blocktower and highly respected cryptocurrency analyst, explained that Gemini is an underappreciated exchange. Although it lacks the trading volume ...

Aren´t these two statements mutually exclusive / contradictory?

Either they are responsible for a big share of the USD/BTC trading or they lack the trading
volume. But both can´t be true at the same time.

A quick look at coinmarketcap.com reveals that they only account for 0.89 % of
total Bitcoin trading volume. This number might be a bit higher if you only analyze the
BTC/USD trading pairs. However, it still looks pretty insignificant compared to big
exchanges like Bitfinex or GDAX.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:42:43 PM

If I had a million lying around in my deposit box, like the twins, I wouldn't have to sell anything.

It's indeed much easier to keep holding coins without selling for those who are financially secured. If I was in the same position years ago when I started out, I would keep holding to see where this market would bring me, but I as well had to cash out some, which looking back now, was a bad thing to do, but that's life. I made some stupid decisions back in 2013/2014 having cost me a lot money and coins, but that's all history. I am thankful that I now have enough financial backup in savings (thanks to Bitcoin) to last me for a pretty long time, which means that I can keep holding through for plenty of more years without selling even a single satoshi.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: