Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:03:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Bitfinex statistics?  (Read 2657 times)
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 06:07:09 AM

Hmm, I've only known about Bitfinex for 4 days now Smiley   So you are saying that most of the time the interest rate to keep the money lent out is more like 12%, hey?  It all makes more sense if that is the case.

I see it mostly linger around the 20-30% apr range. Hell, I still have a loan held with BFX that is at 29%

20-30% is still awesome on a USD deposit.

I guess one risk is that the borrower's aren't liquidated in time during a severe crash, in which case your losses (on uninsured loans) would be correlated with your bitcoin losses.  This would defeat the "diversity" we may believe we are achieving in our portfolios.

Hmm, what is an appropriate % of net worth to invest with Bitfinex....

They have a loan insurance pool available to handle those situations. If you take the insurance then the exchange will make you whole if the market drops before margin positions can be liquidated. They charge 30% of your interest payments for that service (2/3 of which go towards building up the insurance pool).
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:14:22 AM

Thanks for answering my questions mccoyspace.  Cheers!

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:19:40 AM

I wish the insurance pool were not empty most of the time. Still, I'm very happy with Bitfinex.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 03:03:48 PM

Hello,

It is indicative of a market that is getting overheated. This does not mean it is going to crash right away but when it does, the crash will sharp and violent. The BTC will then end up in stronger hands namely those who own the BTC outright and / or can borrow USD or other fiat at more reasonable rates say well under 10% APR.

I also suspect that the correction / crash will start in China.

You were right 100%, impressive Smiley

SheHadManHands, yes that's a sign of bullish market, but at the same time, that doesn't mean they are generally more informed than others.

Just wait until the rally gets going full steam! In March/April there were rates as high as 8000%+. When Bitcoiners panic, they panic hard Wink

Well, it won't go that high because we now have some more "strict" limit (1% per day, if you call that strict). Unless people borrow directly at higher rates, but then that would be quite a bull run.

But it makes no sense that if you ran bitfinex you down't go to the bank and borrow HAND OVER FIST at whatever joke QE interest rates are being offered by central crony banks, and then lend it out at insanely profitable rates to BTC shorters.

True. And we have been approached for this. But this P2P lending thing is our "touch" and a unique feature, so we don't want to stop it. It makes it more expensive for the traders, but it's still possible to be REALLY profitable with these rates, and it provide "small" investors with a way to get real return on their debased currency. So no we won't go to the bank and kill our P2P lending
Perhaps they'd rather hold BTC themselves Smiley

Smiley

About the insurance pool, yes it's empty most of the time. Still by now, you can see that "normal" crashes doesn't cause any problem. It would be the death of Bitcoin that would really pose a problem.

Anyway, have a profitable day

Raphael
Bitfinex
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:53:58 PM

Just wait until the rally gets going full steam! In March/April there were rates as high as 8000%+. When Bitcoiners panic, they panic hard Wink

Well, it won't go that high because we now have some more "strict" limit (1% per day, if you call that strict). Unless people borrow directly at higher rates, but then that would be quite a bull run.

...WHAT?

Where is that documented and since when is this in effect? I used Auto-Lend with VIR as a easy mechanism to provide funds and still gain if there is a jump in the market but I was already quite disappointed by the returns from this rally... Is only the increase capped or the decrease as well? Why do you regulate this kind of stuff with hidden undocumented algorithms anyways instead of having an open market for lending rates?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 10:16:42 PM

...WHAT?

Where is that documented and since when is this in effect? I used Auto-Lend with VIR as a easy mechanism to provide funds and still gain if there is a jump in the market but I was already quite disappointed by the returns from this rally... Is only the increase capped or the decrease as well? Why do you regulate this kind of stuff with hidden undocumented algorithms anyways instead of having an open market for lending rates?

Honestly I still don't really understand the variable interest algorithm either.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:59:14 AM

It used to be an average of all interests, until someone managed to lend out something like 0.00001 USD for a few million % for a day, driving VIR so high that nearly all VIR loans were incredibly expensive and borrowers were force liquidated.

I'm not too sure why it is not possible to make VIR simply: (sum_of_all_interest_paid_in_the_last_hour/sum_of_all_loans_taken)*100 (times 365 then, to get a yearly number - while for traders everywhere they only see daily numbers by the way!).

Currently it seems to be something along the lines of an average of all loans in the past few days but capped at something to make it not change that quickly (even though Bitcoin can change much faster!). Seems I really need to build a lending bot after all that places orders instead of trusting that VIR gives even decent returns (it does NOT, compared to the market).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: