Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:09:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MY BTC just went POOF [and then mostly UNPOOFED!]! oooeeeooo  (Read 4483 times)
Smalleyster (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 10:47:36 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 01:30:00 AM by Smalleyster

Well that's what I get for not encrypting or backing up my wallet yet.

This morning no bitcoins because no wallet file exists.

I only lost .3 or so BTC but it does go to show how important security is and how not ready for prime time btc is.

This was on a 9 month old computer Windows7 32 w/ MSSE and AVG running.

AVG claims non removable trojan.

Not sure if I will re-format back to Win 7 or just blow it all up and go to Ubuntu.

And the ultimate insult the damned thing does not seem to allow me to boot to the USB.

Sheesh!

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:50:38 PM

Well that's what I get for not encrypting or backing up my wallet yet.

This morning no bitcoins because no wallet file exists.

I only lost .3 or so BTC but it does go to show how important security is and how not ready for prime time btc is.

This was on a 9 month old computer Windows7 32 w/ MSSE and AVG running.

AVG claims non removable trojan.

Not sure if I will re-format back to Win 7 or just blow it all up and go to Ubuntu.

And the ultimate insult the damned thing does not seem to allow me to boot to the USB.

Sheesh!

Am I reading correctly that 'something' actually deleted the wallet file? Makes sense I suppose if one were to steal one they would not want to risk you spending your coins before they could move them. Just curious if you have searched through your Harddrives files for it?

You may have to adjust some settings in the bios to boot from USB or hit a hotkey when booting to get an option for it. Do you know what motherboard model you have?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:52:18 PM

What Bitcoin related programs have you downloaded and run lately?

Your wallet file went missing? Do you know your addresses so we can see if they have been transfered?

Perhaps bitcoin theft is starting to get integrated into real trojans. Interesting. If that's the case, wallet encryption is needed STAT. Any simplistic trojan can steal a wallet now, it would take a much more complicated one, and more time, if it were encrypted by default.

Glad you didn't lose much.

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:56:36 PM

If you create a new encrypted wallet & address, I could send you 0.3btc. I have loads just sitting there.

Remember to reformat completely & preferably keep the wallet file safe in an external location like an encr. USB drive or CD.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
ElHajjaj

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:59:42 PM

I only lost .3 or so BTC but it does go to show how important security is and how much AVG sucks.

Fixed that for you.

P.S. See if AVG has your wallet in quarantine.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:00:33 PM

have you checked the sandbox where anti-virus programs isolate non-cleanable virii?

it's possible your wallet could be there.  unlikely though.  sounds like a wallet-stealer.

and yes - i would heartily recommend linux.  don't be askeered of it - it's easy as windows, these days.

try here:

www.linuxmint.com/

the mint re-spin main line is based on ubuntu - but they also offer a spin of debian testing, for those who are a bit more secure in their knowledge.  in any case, for a first foray into linux, mint is unbeatable for ease of installation and use.  setting up a high-security user is pretty easy, too.

good luck.
Man From The Future

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:01:19 PM

Checking the right location? %APPDATA%\Roaming\bitcoin\wallet.dat

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:01:57 PM

Don't send him anything.

He needs to learn his lesson first or else your bitcoins will end up the same place his ended up.

Be humble!
Houdini

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:10:36 PM

I could send you 0.3btc. I have loads just sitting there.
In that case, would you mind sending 1000 BTC to me ? More is OK too if you really insist...
You could call it a donation to the poor and deduct it from your taxes... Smiley
w1R903

Activity: 218

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:23:26 PM

have you checked the sandbox where anti-virus programs isolate non-cleanable virii?

it's possible your wallet could be there.  unlikely though.  sounds like a wallet-stealer.

and yes - i would heartily recommend linux.  don't be askeered of it - it's easy as windows, these days.

try here:

www.linuxmint.com/

the mint re-spin main line is based on ubuntu - but they also offer a spin of debian testing, for those who are a bit more secure in their knowledge.  in any case, for a first foray into linux, mint is unbeatable for ease of installation and use.  setting up a high-security user is pretty easy, too.

good luck.

Linux Mint is the bomb.  Every flavor of it. They've got even got a superlightweight LXDE spin that positively flies on older computers.  Mint looks great, too, unlike many of the Linux distros out there.  And if you like Mint LXDE, check out Peppermint OS, which is done by the same developers.  Linux's answer to Google Chrome OS.  Peppermint OS is cloud-centric, jaw-dropping quick, and beautiful, too.  Oh, and it uses Chromium instead of Firefox, which makes it even faster.

4096R/F5EA0017
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:27:02 PM

If you create a new encrypted wallet & address, I could send you 0.3btc. I have loads just sitting there.

Remember to reformat completely & preferably keep the wallet file safe in an external location like an encr. USB drive or CD.

+1 Nice to see some good guys on this forum!
Anonymous

July 06, 2011, 11:32:23 PM

Maybe someone is integrating wallet theft into anti virus programs Smiley

Up next will be a trojan that holds your wallet.dat to ransom untill you pay more btc.
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:41:05 PM

Man, we've been hit my someone else who is like "my bitcoins disappeared", but doesn't provide ANY USEFUL INFORMATION. I'm calling FUD. We need addresses, we need websites visited and programs run, we need AV logs and the .exe to diagnose. Why can't anyone compromised give us those things?

I swear, I'm starting to believe in a conspiracy to keep "I've been hacked threads" on the forum.
sanjay

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 12:01:12 AM

I think this might have happened to me as well.  I purchased 500 BTC into wallet ID 1Jf48wufcDpPQ2EEgX1jUULuTHVzDhqBSF which I left unencrypted within the generic bitcoin client wallet on my desktop at home.  I tried to launch the bitcoin app this weekend but it did not run.  I am not a very tech savvy person so I am not sure if it is somewhere on my computer and I just can't find it, or if it was stolen.

Any advice appreciated.  I tried to provide details to see if anyone has any suggestions.  Thanks and sorry for hijacking, but I figure there are more than 2 dummies that ened help Cheesy
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:04:45 AM

Sanjay, if your bitcoin client is not running, this does not mean your wallet is lost. Sometimes bitcoin client doesn't run for me either and I've got to manually close any previous executions before it will run(sometimes multiple times). If your wallet is missing, bitcoin.exe will still run. Check your "c:/users/(your account)/appdata/roaming/bitcoin/ " your wallet should be in there somewhere if it is still there.

Hope this helps.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
Smalleyster (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 12:05:07 AM

Ha ha ha, you guys are hilarious.

No wal*.* file anywhere.

Avg was suposed to have been uninstalled when I put in MSSE but the message was from AVG (hates avg nowadays).

AVG claimed to have trojan named pack[1] that it would not remove.

win 7 32

only web sites visited recently (for the last two weeks) are bitcoin related, mostly this forum and the bitcoin charts.

All the research and work is done on this 8 yr old computer. the one that has the problem is new and is only used for active work/money making projects.

Not intereste in fUD BS. just learned a lesson on security.

Actually I have a sneaking suspicion that MSSE might be the culprit as yesterday i switched it from quick to full scan, and from once a week to every day.

total PITS to open computer due to location but F11 only allows CD or SATA.

CMOS setup utility is v02.61 1985-2006 AMI

Advanced BIOS, boot sequence 1) CD 2) sATA 3) Other Yes

No "USB" verbage in refrence to boot options

Linux: I have two comps using Ubuntu right now, but being an old DOS hack since 1984 (1st pc had 64kmb and one floppy) am comfortable w/ C: but not too well trained in Unix. I am extremely reluctant to take the computer that i make my living on and required w7 to integrate with VPN and Citrix sites.

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
Smalleyster (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 12:08:10 AM

Disappeared/stolen wallet.dat was to:

17SUD6KndgsQ6jckkxR3AvJTcyTRAKWH4m

Doubt if it will be found and who cares. Next one will be treated "properly".

I'm still a total noob and it was a test that I am not surprised at all that it flew the coop.

sanjay

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 12:08:35 AM

Sanjay, if your bitcoin client is not running, this does not mean your wallet is lost. Sometimes bitcoin client doesn't run for me either and I've got to manually close any previous executions before it will run(sometimes multiple times). If your wallet is missing, bitcoin.exe will still run. Check your "c:/users/(your account)/appdata/roaming/bitcoin/ " your wallet should be in there somewhere if it is still there.

Hope this helps.

Thank so you much!
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:09:49 AM

*This* specific incident doesn't show anything that we haven't already seen. It's been said thousands of times before that you need to secure yourself at this point in time. I realize that bitcoin should probably come with proper measures, but in the real world, nothing is %100 secure and sometimes you've got to get your hands dirty.

This is not directed entirely at the OP, this is intended for anyone who regularly visits these forums and decides to create a new thread when their wallet is stolen. Take the proper measures, or deal with the consequences in silence. Like bitcoins publicity isn't bad enough...

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:23:06 AM

Disappeared/stolen wallet.dat was to:

17SUD6KndgsQ6jckkxR3AvJTcyTRAKWH4m

Doubt if it will be found and who cares. Next one will be treated "properly".

I'm still a total noob and it was a test that I am not surprised at all that it flew the coop.

Am I now reading correctly that you located your wallet file? If so, where was it?
If not, how did you find that address? 17SUD6KndgsQ6jckkxR3AvJTcyTRAKWH4m

Block explorer has not seen it yet so I am not sure how your client could show a transaction to it yet or if its just that it is so new a block has not been created for the trasnaction yet..?? someone with more knowledge will have to try and explain or verify my assumption correct or not..?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: