Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:28:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: open-source DRM  (Read 5779 times)
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 04:16:23 AM

I just stumbled upon this open-source DRM software infrastructure:

from their company page http://mutableinc.com:
OpenIPMP is the most mature and successful open source and open standards based DRM solution. Portable to any desktop, server or embedded platform, OpenIPMP is the most complete, flexible, and affordable DRM solution available. In addition to its native support for MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and ISMA (including streaming) it is also easily adaptable to virtually any other frame-based media format (including mp3, ogg, and proprietary formats etc).

and from their open-source code repository http://sourceforge.net/projects/openipmp:
Open source DRM for MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 adhering to ISO/MPEG IPMP open standards (MPEG IPMP Hooks and IPMP-X), ISMAcryp and OMA DRM 2 specs. Includes CA, PKI, DOI mgmt, ISMA streaming, license server, encoding/encryption, player, plugin architecture, etc

Now, me personally, I don't like DRM.  However, I can see how it is possible to enfore so-called "intellectual property rights" using voluntary means, such as embedding DRM codes inside of a media file and using ostracism, such as making such DRM "protected" media files unplayable, of course, using entirely voluntary and peaceful means (no threats from men with guns).  So I was thinking, what would be a great way to complement an open-source DRM management software with some sortof open-source currency...maybe bitcoin?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 04:22:21 AM

With DRM, all you're doing is offering an inferior product.

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 05:01:13 AM

drm is in the linux kernel. the difference is you switch it on or off.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 05:05:12 AM

drm is in the linux kernel. the difference is you switch it on or off.

I think it's quite different than DRM that they're talking about.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DRM

em3rgentOrdr (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 05:05:46 AM

Agreed.  Which is why Eric Fontaine releases recordings of all his live jazz performances DRM-free at http://podcast.ericfontainejazz.com and http://youtube.com/ericfontainejazz...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 08:44:30 AM

I agree. But there is a market for inferior products.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 01:03:42 PM

ocremix.com <- support them
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2011, 09:30:58 PM

ocremix is awesome!  So many great arrangements of video game music.  And they typically distribute the original flac (compacted wav) along with the mp3 in the free torrent download for each alblum.

Oh yes, I agree that open-source DRM is sortof a sick idea.  But it may be useful on occasion when you wish to give out a free low-quality version but make people pay for the high-quality DRM-free version.

Sawzall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2011, 12:57:58 AM

ocremix is awesome!  So many great arrangements of video game music.  And they typically distribute the original flac (compacted wav) along with the mp3 in the free torrent download for each alblum.

Oh yes, I agree that open-source DRM is sortof a sick idea.  But it may be useful on occasion when you wish to give out a free low-quality version but make people pay for the high-quality DRM-free version.
DRM is irrelevant in this scenario. Let's assume the low-quality version is 128Kbps mp3. It's free, so why bother with DRM? It would just force people to install extra software. And then you stated that the high-quality version, presumably FLAC, has no DRM.

I will, however, agree that if DRM is demanded by the content provider, it should be open-source. That way, it does not rely on obscurity and I can see exactly what it's doing, avoiding all the problems with XCP and SecuROM.
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 05:28:27 AM

Creating an open-source application for DRM is IMHO a sick idea. Reminds me of Mono..

Here's an even sicker idea...Using Linux and open-source to improve the functioning of the military-industrial complex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXLCnHBcWw

DRM is irrelevant in this scenario. Let's assume the low-quality version is 128Kbps mp3. It's free, so why bother with DRM? It would just force people to install extra software. And then you stated that the high-quality version, presumably FLAC, has no DRM.

Of course.  Maybe I should have been more specific: maybe a business wants to stream the free low-quality version of their media to only their specific proprietary player (that likely includes ads or costs money), so they use open-source DRM to ensure that their media produces garbage static (or simply can't play) on players that don't provide revenue to the business.  Of course people could record the audio going from the computer output terminal to their speakers, but by that point it would be of so low quality or be so difficult that people might instead simply purchase the DRM-free high-quality version.

I will, however, agree that if DRM is demanded by the content provider, it should be open-source. That way, it does not rely on obscurity and I can see exactly what it's doing, avoiding all the problems with XCP and SecuROM.

Exactly.  Basically apply the Interoperability, Bug-free, and other positive qualities that result from the open-source model to DRM so business can profit from their investments of paying coders, musicians, artists, actors, producers, desigerns, or other creators of intellectual property content.  Just take a look at the PS3, where SONY's complex and multi-stage DRM system was completely hacked by clever hackers exploiting poor code (likely because SONY used closed-source non-peer-reviewed security systems) with basic algebra.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: