Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:24:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin illegal in Thailand?  (Read 1869 times)
darkmule (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:57:58 PM

What's with all the drama?

AFAIK the Thailand government hasn't done anything with Bitcoin, nor do they have any plans as to how they would attempt to ban it.  The only thing we know is that the Bank of Thailand supposedly blocked a Thai BTC exchange from operating correctly, and so was closed down.  Unless that bank is also their ministry of finance, then Bitcoin is not officially banned in Thailand; this is the same behavior we're seeing in America, where banks are getting uppity about people and services who operate in and around Bitcoin.

That bank is the Bank of Thailand, the nation's central bank.  That puts it in roughly the same position as the Federal Reserve in the United States.  If they really have taken a position that Bitcoin is illegal, that could be highly problematic.  It would strike me as highly unusual, though, for a bank to make a definitive, final policy statement about the legality of something without promulgating regulations of some kind actually saying so officially.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:29:21 PM

Pretty solid transaltion too.

Is it common to throw in random English words when one is speaking Thai?  Tongue

yolo2222

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:35:16 PM

Looks like Dave might have been right after all I just recorded this off Thai Television:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7g8LXR0YUg

this made my day! cheers

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: