Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:36:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to think in decentralized exchanges?  (Read 154 times)
Laje (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:00:34 PM

Hi to everybody.

We know what are happening in centralized exchanges: withdrawals issues, verified accounts never arrive, or technical support don't work.
I've never had a problem, but I'm starting to think that maybe I have lucky.
I don't want to talk about especific centralized exchanges, only search news about your exchange: "YourExchange issues" for example. You will read a lot of complains.
It's not new, but I think 2018 will be the hacked year for a lot of these exchanges because (as I've said) it's not new and now there are more users than 2017-2016 (and more criptocoins).

What do you think about?
Are meaningful for you all of those bad news?

Thanks a lot.
emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:13:02 PM

Exchanges are a somewhat antithetical to (most) cryptocurrencies and thier goals. They are, today, a fundamental component of the ecosystem... but they will eventually lose relevance.
Projects (eg. exscudo etc) with strong decentralised exchanges exist, and will imho eventually take over, however the "weak link" of the FIAT centralized Exchange will continue to be one of the bigger points of failure for quite some time.
lifetimebitcoins

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:18:46 PM

Cryptocurrency are decentralized but exchanges work in dominating mode which is nt good for market lets see we will see decentralised exchanges in coming months
masphie

Activity: 896
Merit: 102

-= OI =-

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:19:35 PM

Hi to everybody.

We know what are happening in centralized exchanges: withdrawals issues, verified accounts never arrive, or technical support don't work.
I don't want to talk about especific centralized exchanges, only search news about your exchange: "YourExchange issues" for example. You will read a lot of complains.
It's not new, but I think 2018 will be the hacked year for a lot of these exchanges because (as I've said) it's not new and now there are more users than 2017-2016 (and more criptocoins).

What do you think about?

Thanks a lot.

i think not at all like that, but we must understanding about human error, system error, etc.
i think thats normal, as long as they want to fix it.
In addition, we must also be vigilant

-= OI =-
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 2092

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:31:17 PM

[...]

[...]

Exchange security has vastly improved since the early days and securing coins has become easier than ever before. So short of catastrophic 0-days and physical or social attacks I'm fairly positive that even centralized exchanges will remain rather untouched in 2018 (support issues and other problems aside).

Ironically the one exchange that got most recently hacked was a decentralized one -- Etherdelta -- albeit arguably it was the centralized component of it, namely their DNS.

In other words, from a security perspective decentralized exchanges also still have a lot to learn. While I love seeing decentralized exchanges hitting the scene keep in mind that they will come with their own sets of problems regarding both security and performance. We're likely to see a lot of issues and hacks with decentralized exchanges as well before they reach maturity -- either on the smart contract level, or caused by its surrounding infrastructure. Nothing comes easy, but it's a welcomed development. Due to the centralized nature of fiat I doubt we'll ever get fully rid of centralized exchanges though.
danielwwt

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

check out blocknet.

You will be shocked.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:37:00 PM

Decentralized exchanges are already exist (but only on the ethereum blockchain, like etherdelta for the ERC20 tokens). If somehow bitcoin could have this kind of decentralized exchanges, the current exchanges will be used for fiat to crypto exhanges (where the AML and KYC regulations are mandatory because of the fiat) and not for crytp to crypto exchanges).
Miiike
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1059

Wait... What?

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:44:05 PM

Decentralized exchanges are already exist (but only on the ethereum blockchain, like etherdelta for the ERC20 tokens). If somehow bitcoin could have this kind of decentralized exchanges, the current exchanges will be used for fiat to crypto exhanges (where the AML and KYC regulations are mandatory because of the fiat) and not for crytp to crypto exchanges).

Waves has their own decentralized exchange too, you know that, right? Wavesdex is even built-in to their site, although much like ED, wavesdex is quite low in volume
teejaymuna

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2017, 06:42:04 PM

Decentralizing exchanges will always have an Achilles heel. As lonas Fiat currencies still exist, decentralization of exchanges can not be a perfect solution. At best, it will help
madushanperis11

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 07:13:06 PM

Knowing your country and where the exchange is based out of is important, as laws and regulations can vary country to country. Buying bitcoin in your home country is typically recommended. For a full list of exchange country locations, go to Buy Bitcoin and from the dropdown menu, select your country to start.

Despite the exchange being based on centralized or decentralized, the exchange may have these type of issues. Make sure to check the fine print; usually exchanges post in their terms of service what currencies they do and do not accept. Anyway one main thing is security, whatever speed your achieved will be wasted if there are security vulnerabilities.
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:08:06 PM

[...]

[...]

Exchange security has vastly improved since the early days and securing coins has become easier than ever before. So short of catastrophic 0-days and physical or social attacks I'm fairly positive that even centralized exchanges will remain rather untouched in 2018 (support issues and other problems aside).

Ironically the one exchange that got most recently hacked was a decentralized one -- Etherdelta -- albeit arguably it was the centralized component of it, namely their DNS.

In other words, from a security perspective decentralized exchanges also still have a lot to learn. While I love seeing decentralized exchanges hitting the scene keep in mind that they will come with their own sets of problems regarding both security and performance. We're likely to see a lot of issues and hacks with decentralized exchanges as well before they reach maturity -- either on the smart contract level, or caused by its surrounding infrastructure. Nothing comes easy, but it's a welcomed development. Due to the centralized nature of fiat I doubt we'll ever get fully rid of centralized exchanges though.
I believe why many people didn't think about moving to decentralized exchange is due to the lack of existence a promising decentralized exchange. I watched a youtube video talking about the altcoin.io project, and its really take my attention. The developer explains the project clearly that makes me think its worth to wait for the project. The developer discusses about the security and the performance and their vision is clear, I'm definitely looking forward to altcoin.io.
saransh

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:19:58 PM

Hey, everyone I am working on an exchange which is an open source product aims to cater following.

Automatic multi-attribute auction trading engine.
Hybrid governance model.
Data Driven counterparty risk mitigation.
Safety System (Have to think how?)
Using multisig for settlement in auction
Encrypted messaging
Decentralised settlement.

Automatic multi attribute auction allows multi-dimensional matching.
User can reach large number of traders simultaneously aka options.
Competitive process
Fair price is reached faster
Less hassle
User can would receive a bid which has been pre-accepted by the trader.
Eliminate uncertainty when will transaction complete.
Winner of the bid has to act or other will replace the winner.
Price is not only the criteria for trade there are other attributes such as speed and safety.
Above can be variable every time like when a user buying lower number of crypto  where speed matters and safety is not an issue.We believe each user is different thus employing this technique allows user to find best deal according to his preference.

https://github.com/upscaletech/localbch.shop
Anti-Cen

Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:28:59 PM

Hey, everyone I am working on an exchange which is an open source product aims to cater following.

Hi

All seems to be j-script so is it code running in a client browser ?

We need a motorway any coin can use which i think is coming and what you say
seems a bit too abstract from me to really get to the nuts and bolts

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
kojoannan

Activity: 294

www.daxico.com

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:32:10 PM

Decentralized exchanges like etherdelta has always come to experience attack from hackers than centralized exchange like poloniex. I think human begins controlling your funds for a fee is more secured than to live everything to script and bots.

saransh

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:22:26 AM

Hi

All seems to be j-script so is it code running in a client browser ?

We need a motorway any coin can use which i think is coming and what you say
seems a bit too abstract from me to really get to the nuts and bolts

Hey the product is in development phase it uses REST Based API developed in JAVA and front end written in AngularJS, yet to come up with alpha version.

Thanks
Anti-Cen

Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:43:19 AM

Hey the product is in development phase it uses REST Based API developed in JAVA and front end written in AngularJS, yet to come up with alpha version.

Me is windows based with C# and getting slower by the day on J-Script but if you need Chrome extensions for it
then it might be worth talking to me and knocking up a block diagram so it's easy to get the big picture.

Good luck friend, hope it works for you

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
p3ppymon

Activity: 700
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:50:37 AM

Decentralisation of exchanges will be a major step forward in the incoming future as traders want to have control of their funds with private key. Hacking those website would be much more difficult, or at least there won’t be many stolen funds as it would occur in case of braking a storage from a centralised exchange.
KYC for centralised exchange will be a routine check which will be implemented all around.
Ray3z

Activity: 188

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:05:11 AM

Hi to everybody.

What do you think about?

Thanks a lot.

Yes agreed. If there is project ico now try to make decentralized exchanger, i will support. So many problem in centralized exchanger make the trading not profitable anymore. Most money going to that exchange.
denzkilim

Activity: 1218
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:17:54 AM

Hi to everybody.

What do you think about?

Thanks a lot.

Yes agreed. If there is project ico now try to make decentralized exchanger, i will support. So many problem in centralized exchanger make the trading not profitable anymore. Most money going to that exchange.

Centralized exchangers and Decentralized exchangers have their own advantages and disadvantages specially when it comes too security issues. We here news that some Centralized exchanges got hacked and some decentralized exchanges got hacked too like ether delta. The real issue here is the security, We need superior security for our funds.  Grin
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 02:31:14 PM

Waves has their own decentralized exchange too, you know that, right? Wavesdex is even built-in to their site, although much like ED, wavesdex is quite low in volume
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look at Waves next year Smiley (It's 15:27 local time 31.12.2017 Smiley )
What I have found interesting in etherdelta is that it's able to handle a Ledger Nano S directly so this is why I remembered it's name and not the other decentralized exhanges. I think decentralized exchanges will get widesread after the Lightning Network and the Atomic Swap implementation, but only for crypto trading and not for fiat.
saransh

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 06:22:44 AM

Me is windows based with C# and getting slower by the day on J-Script but if you need Chrome extensions for it
then it might be worth talking to me and knocking up a block diagram so it's easy to get the big picture.

Good luck friend, hope it works for you

Yeah sure it would be great I am working on the API based distributed platform. give me your git username I will add you as contributor.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: