Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:58:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Bitcoin for Android  (Read 9189 times)
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 08:57:22 PM

This is a great development. But they should consider making it a light-weight client as soon as possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:12:42 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2011, 09:23:37 PM by EhVedadoOAnonimato

Another addition I'd find important: allow the user to configure proxy access, so that one could put the application behind Tor. I think it's particular important when accessing the bitcoin network... you don't want to tell the whole world "hey, there are bitcoins on this IP, come and get them!"...
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 09:16:42 PM

impressive.

Will

Rogue Star

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 12:23:18 AM

I'm looking forward to looking at certain parts of the source that I'm interested in. This is definitely a boon for people like myself having trouble with the sources of the desktop client. I spent a good amount of my weekend just trying (and failing) to compile the desktop client. This should have the code I need to move forward with a project I've been thinking about and will hopefully be a part of this client in one form or another in the future.

you can donate to me for whatever reason at: 18xbnjDDXxgcvRzv5k2vmrKQHWDjYsBDCf
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 01:23:08 AM

So it should be dropping the blockchain on your SD card, not the internal memory.

All right, I installed the creature, and it does seem to drop the blockchain on the SD card.  However, it still takes up 2.20 MB of the internal memory — and since a wallet is continuously growing, this is amount is likely to increase.  I'm not convinced it's such a good idea to store the wallet in internal memory.

Cheers,

Seems like a fair point for older smartphones. I've raised an issue for it (https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android/issues/9).

they are well aware of the issue and 14MB is already crazy compared to what you have on your PC ... as evoorhees found out Smiley

Noob question - On my PC the "block chain" data file is several hundred megabytes. How is it only 14mb on this mobile version?

they use a compressed format and rely on connected nodes for validity. (please correct me if i'm wrong.)

This is a great development. But they should consider making it a light-weight client as soon as possible.
15MB is already ultra lightweight for a bitcoin client. If you want to have a real thin client use something like an instawallet client or a bitcoind remote control. both exists on android already.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 01:41:43 AM

that is totally cool.  When is the iPhone version coming out?

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 01:48:12 AM

Mine started ForceClosing suddely this morning. Anyone know where the wallet.dat file is stored on the phone or backed up to? I need to reinstall the app, and am worried if I uninstall it, I may lost my single freshly mined Bitcoin.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 02:03:53 AM

Mine started ForceClosing suddely this morning. Anyone know where the wallet.dat file is stored on the phone or backed up to? I need to reinstall the app, and am worried if I uninstall it, I may lost my single freshly mined Bitcoin.

uhm ... Smiley))

i tried "bitcoin wallet" for android and for a reason it only runs on testnet. they both share the library bitcoinJ. If the crashes were from bitcoinJ not working right yet, I wish you good luck.

https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android/blob/master/src/com/bitcoinandroid/WalletBackupAgent.java looks like it does backups to google so a total loss is unlikely and (i think) reinstalling should not affect your saved wallet. At least the code reads as if it tries to restore from the cloud in case your local wallet has a balance of 0 which should be the case unless you accidentally created a private key similar to an existing key with a balance Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
pdki

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 06:52:33 PM

First thanks, I think this client is a big step in the right direction, but it seems it still has some flaws:

I send me a money request by mail and send sent 0.01BTC to the android client in order to try it. I did this 8 hours ago, the transaction has 76 confirmations but it still has not appeared in the android client. I have tried to turn off WLAN and only use 3G in order to make sure it is not a firewall problem, but nothing so far.

What can I do? Is there any way to get hold of the wallet of this thing? Or make it somehow rescan the blockchain?

BTW: accidentally posted the same question already on another thread, but I think this one is the right one to ask.
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 07:02:59 PM

First thanks, I think this client is a big step in the right direction, but it seems it still has some flaws:

I send me a money request by mail and send sent 0.01BTC to the android client in order to try it. I did this 8 hours ago, the transaction has 76 confirmations but it still has not appeared in the android client. I have tried to turn off WLAN and only use 3G in order to make sure it is not a firewall problem, but nothing so far.

What can I do? Is there any way to get hold of the wallet of this thing? Or make it somehow rescan the blockchain?

BTW: accidentally posted the same question already on another thread, but I think this one is the right one to ask.

If you haven't tried it yet, there is a "refresh" button in the menu. Maybe that will work.
pdki

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 07:35:53 PM

If you haven't tried it yet, there is a "refresh" button in the menu. Maybe that will work.

I hit the refresh button already a couple of times and it seems to do something, as it is just sucking up my data flatrate. But still no visible transactions.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 07:41:28 PM

Also the USD may be dead before the EUR is gone.

I'd guess you haven't paid much attention to the news, lately.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 08:40:52 PM

I have the same problem - and when I checked application Details it is only 2.01MB - so something is very wrong. It looks like the blockchain isn't saving so it doesn't see the transfer, even though it is using the data connection.

Any ideas?
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:04:09 PM

Awesome. Sent 0.01 BTC to myself and it showed up on the phone, still waiting to be cemented in a block.

Put a USD/BTC calculator on there so I can calculate how much I owe my friends for dinner and I'll pay them in bitcoin.

Already requested by someone else: See https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android/issues/5.

This is already implemented by Bitcoin Wallet for Android. (see signature for Market page)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:35:51 PM

I have the same problem - and when I checked application Details it is only 2.01MB - so something is very wrong. It looks like the blockchain isn't saving so it doesn't see the transfer, even though it is using the data connection.

Any ideas?

Application Details tells me a similar story, but by diving into the sd card I can see the file in the secured android apps directory, and it weighs in at 22 megs right now for me.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 10:41:13 PM

This is almost enough reason for me to buy an android device.  I have been quite happy with my iPhone but this is something I really want! 

enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:43:34 PM

Any ideas?

Application Details tells me a similar story, but by diving into the sd card I can see the file in the secured android apps directory, and it weighs in at 22 megs right now for me.

Finally found the blockchain file but mine is at 400K, right where app details says it is, and it doesn't grow when I let the app sit and run.
thallium205

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 10:59:36 PM

Awesome. Sent 0.01 BTC to myself and it showed up on the phone, still waiting to be cemented in a block.

Put a USD/BTC calculator on there so I can calculate how much I owe my friends for dinner and I'll pay them in bitcoin.

Already requested by someone else: See https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android/issues/5.

Please add your name to the list of interested people.

Earlier today I sent a pull implementing this feature.  It can convert between all traded currencies.  Smiley

https://github.com/barmstrong/bitcoin-android/pull/17
pdki

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:02:16 PM

Where exactly is the file?
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 12:00:23 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2011, 12:18:25 AM by Cusipzzz

found it /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.bitcoinandroid/files/ on my G2x

Anyone with a working version of this app, what is the current/correct size of the blockchain file? thanks. I seem to be stuck at 12.32MB - I do think it hangs when switching wifi/cell/wifi maybe, but I can't seem to get the download re-started, even with force quit and refresh. Stuck 12.32.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: