Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:12:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about using wallets...(Electrum, paper wallets)  (Read 147 times)
lecomputer (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:18:57 PM

If anyone could answer these questions I would really appreciate it...

- I am using Electrum. It seems you can create as many wallets as you like, is it recommend to use multiple, why would you need to?

- If my hard drive dies and I lose everything, including Electrum, do I have to use the 'seed' to restore it? The wallets seem to be stored in some hidden folder on my mac, is it worth backing them up?

- can you use the desktop version and the app of Electrum to access the same wallets, or are wallets specific to the device?

- is saving your 'seed' digitally as an image such as a JPG safe? Especially if you were to hide it in something designed in photoshop to be more random?

Thanks, be great to know Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:50:32 PM

- I am using Electrum. It seems you can create as many wallets as you like, is it recommend to use multiple, why would you need to?
It's up to you if you're going to use multiple wallets or not. I personally do use multiple wallets for better organization(one from campaigns, one from trading, one for my personal savings, etc etc)

- If my hard drive dies and I lose everything, including Electrum, do I have to use the 'seed' to restore it? The wallets seem to be stored in some hidden folder on my mac, is it worth backing them up?
Yes. The seed itself will be enough for you to access your funds.

- can you use the desktop version and the app of Electrum to access the same wallets, or are wallets specific to the device?
Yes. Everything is on the Blockchain, so you can use the same wallets for whatever device.

- is saving your 'seed' digitally as an image such as a JPG safe? Especially if you were to hide it in something designed in photoshop to be more random?
No. It really is not recommended to save your seed digitally. The safest way is still the pen and paper method, as hackers have pretty much no way of stealing your seed(besides physically stealing it).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 02:56:52 AM

Thanks MJ

I see that the seed will be enough to access funds, but is it worth backing up the wallets too, what advantage does that give?

Also if I use the Electrum app for instance, how do I open a wallet that is on  my computer?

I am interested in the idea of creating a very confusing digital image to hide my seed for instance, something that would surely be indecipherable by a computer or person. Just because having a backup stored digitally will be very foolproof on top of a paper backup. I might start a new thread as its a bigger question of its own
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:47:44 AM

You are probably confusing "address" with "wallet". Using one address per transaction improves privacy and costs nothing. There are not may reasons to reuse addresses.

You need the seed to restore the wallet. It may be stored in the wallet data, but you should store it separately in case the computer is lost or damaged. You can also use the seed to move your bitcoins to a different wallet.

Yes by sharing the seed, but the information you enter about a transaction (such as what it is for or who it is from) is only stored on the computer that creates the transaction.

Storing it separately is safest. Storing a copy on the same computer is not helpful because if the computer is lost or damaged, you could lose both copies.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
lecomputer (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 04:16:00 AM

Thanks,

But in Electrum you can create multiple wallets, and then within those wallets you can use a different address for each transaction as you say. What is the use of using multiple wallets within Electrum?

Thanks for your help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: