Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:20:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm thinking of creating a forum software for BitcoinTalk  (Read 4789 times)
live627 (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:00:55 AM

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of creating a forum software for BitcoinTalk. It will be a SMF fork, modified to fit the requirements theymos laid out in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0

I will put it up on GiitHub shortly.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 04:08:57 PM

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of creating a forum software for BitcoinTalk. It will be a SMF fork, modified to fit the requirements theymos laid out in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0

Finally someone that does instead of talking. That's the spirit! 5500 BTC await you! Tongue
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:09:38 PM

Finally someone that does instead of talking. That's the spirit! 5500 BTC await you! Tongue

Jesus Christ $500,000! Be right back, I want to see if I can hire a couple of Microsoft engineers to make a forum real quick and keep the change.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:12:55 PM

Microsoft?
I will add some oracle db designers, too.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:14:31 PM

Microsoft?
I will add some oracle db designers, too.

Sure, join the team! Just remember - I keep the change. lol

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 07:24:31 PM

Those are old requirements, make sure to ask updated one's from theymos.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.msg1788818#msg1788818
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

There is another thread discussing the development of a new forum and what improvements could be made here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244678.0

Ironically, that thread is being censored by the OP.  Doesn't bode well for an open free forum.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 11:06:22 PM

Why not ditch SMF and start over with MyBB

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
live627 (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:11:36 AM

I won't get that reward unless theymos sees my work.

I know. I asked him a week ago but he's apparently ignoring me.

Why not ditch SMF and start over with MyBB
I know SMF better than most, although I'm definitely not top dog. I've made over forty modifications during my four years of working with it, and helped develop it last year by submitting several pull requests.

Compare that to my knowledge of MyBB, which is nil. So why should I go with it? "Because it's better, and SMF sucks ass" is not a reason.
juca

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:29:49 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 12:49:46 AM by juca

There is another thread discussing the development of a new forum and what improvements could be made here:

this another thread is sooooooo gay. the op pretends to build software, but what he wants is to build another forum/place, nothing to do with the software really. Probably he will own the domain and be the admin, so he can get donations himself.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 12:54:12 AM

I wonder if theymos is still open to new forum software after rewriting the admin / moderation options, implementing things like activity & the trust system..
live627 (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:18:26 AM

I wonder if theymos is still open to new forum software after rewriting the admin / moderation options, implementing things like activity & the trust system..
I'd imagine he's weary of fighting with the code.
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:53:33 PM

I'd imagine he's weary of fighting with the code.

And he wants to keep the 6,000 BTC

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:55:44 PM

I know. I asked him a week ago but he's apparently ignoring me.

I asked him 3 months ago  Grin
juca

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:39:46 PM

you know what? I'm happy with this forum exactly the way it is. The rules, the moderation, the TEAM IS ALL GREAT! SMF also, is good enough, what matters here is if everyone is happy.

What maybe is missing here, in my view, is some linux work, like setting nginx as a reverse proxy, caching the stuff etc, probably setting php fpm, etc,etc. I noticed the forum is getting slow.

Theymos has the forum, and the bitcoins donated are his, I do not see any need to spend them with the community. BTCtalk crew, keep up the good work, and please, just keep things as they are. A lil software tweeking is welcome, but that is all. Who is not happy with the place, just grab yourselves a copy of phpbb or smf, and make your own forum, with your own rules! simple! welcome to the free world!
/dev/null

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:45:55 PM

you know what? I'm happy with this forum exactly the way it is. The rules, the moderation, the TEAM IS ALL GREAT! SMF also, is good enough, what matters here is if everyone is happy.

What maybe is missing here, in my view, is some linux work, like setting nginx as a reverse proxy, caching the stuff etc, probably setting php fpm, etc,etc. I noticed the forum is getting slow.

Theymos has the forum, and the bitcoins donated are his, I do not see any need to spend them with the community. BTCtalk crew, keep up the good work, and please, just keep things as they are. A lil software tweeking is welcome, but that is all. Who is not happy with the place, just grab yourselves a copy of phpbb or smf, and make your own forum, with your own rules! simple! welcome to the free world!

That's not theymos's money. He is just administrator, like sirius was before.
in other words, He's president not KING and he knows that. Ever seen bitcoin donation address in his signature?

And btw most money was donated to upgrade forum software.

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 03:00:24 PM

Let me know when the software is complete, I'd like to test it out. 

The current admin does not seem serious about changing the forum as his post was made almost two years ago.  I, however, am very serious about changing the forum because the current forum and it's administration sucks. 

If you'd like to contribute to making a new and improved forum please come join us here:

And let me know when your update is complete I'd love to test it out.
juca

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 05:03:23 PM

That's not theymos's money. He is just administrator, like sirius was before.
in other words, He's president not KING and he knows that. Ever seen bitcoin donation address in his signature?

And btw most money was donated to upgrade forum software.
well, if that is the case, the money could still be used to something else. Really, spending 6000 btc to reinvent the weel(errr...a bloddy forum) is just ridiculous, not to say, insane.
juca

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 05:07:23 PM

Let me know when the software is complete, I'd like to test it out.  

The current admin does not seem serious about changing the forum as his post was made almost two years ago.  I, however, am very serious about changing the forum because the current forum and it's administration sucks.  

If you'd like to contribute to making a new and improved forum please come join us here:

And let me know when your update is complete I'd love to test it out.
dude, have you read what i just said? You are mixing 2 concerns:software and the actual admin/ownership/leadership of this forum.

only a moron cannot see that. if you want to build a new forum, cause you don't agree with the rules of the current one, fine. But just don't give us your fucking opportunist bullshit. We are developers here, and, correct me if I'm wrong, we are discussing new software for bitcointalk.org, no?
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 05:48:56 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2013, 06:00:16 PM by Viceroy

No Juca I didn't read what you wrote because you are not the OP and I was not talking to you.  Glad to see you have an opinion though.   Ironically your angry (useless) post is exactly why we need better administration and  (probably) a completely new forum.

OP, I'm still very interested in testing your solution.  Please let me know when it becomes available.

To the comment about my thread being self-moderated... not sure how you expect to have meaningful conversations when you have posters adding meaningless noise to the conversation.  Since the admins do so little to manage the trolls and noise the self-moderated thread is the ONLY way to have an adult conversation. 

For those who prefer to contribute, instead of just lash out at someone for no reason at all, perhaps you may want to join the discussion where we try to improve the forum by identifying some of the problems we have all experienced.  This discussion can be found by following the red link in my signature.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: