Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:20:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I actually have no bitcoin?  (Read 193 times)
mwrmwr (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:26:58 PM

My dim memory says that years ago I thought I had purchased some bitcoin, but now I cannot find it.

- On a computer I acquired after the supposed purchase of bitcoin, which had all the user data copied to it from older computers, I found a "bitcoin" folder. This folder contained bitcoin-0.8.5-win32-setup.exe.

- I ran bitcoin-0.8.5-win32-setup.exe. It took a LONG time to sync, but finally finished recently. It showed no bitcoin.

- I closed the bitcoin program. In a sub-folder "walletsaved" was a wallet.dat file. I put that file in the place where the original wallet.dat file was located (found by a search of C:). I re-ran bitcoin-0.8.5-win32-setup.exe. It finished syncing in a short time. It showed no bitcoin.

- I also found info in a text file for login to mtgox.com, libertyreserve.com, and goldexpay.com. None of those logins work now.

Is there anything else I should do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kvist87

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:28:05 PM

if you not have safe the wallet.dat file, or the private key then you btc are gone
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1176

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 01:54:45 PM

My dim memory says that years ago I thought I had purchased some bitcoin, but now I cannot find it.

- On a computer I acquired after the supposed purchase of bitcoin, which had all the user data copied to it from older computers, I found a "bitcoin" folder. This folder contained bitcoin-0.8.5-win32-setup.exe.

- I ran bitcoin-0.8.5-win32-setup.exe. It took a LONG time to sync, but finally finished recently. It showed no bitcoin.

- I closed the bitcoin program. In a sub-folder "walletsaved" was a wallet.dat file. I put that file in the place where the original wallet.dat file was located (found by a search of C:). I re-ran bitcoin-0.8.5-win32-setup.exe. It finished syncing in a short time. It showed no bitcoin.

- I also found info in a text file for login to mtgox.com, libertyreserve.com, and goldexpay.com. None of those logins work now.

Is there anything else I should do?

So, you aren't even sure that you bought bitcoin at the time? Maybe you should just let it go, it sounds like you've tried the basics if it did exist. Mtgox and libertyreserve were shut down for different reasons years ago, not sure about the other site.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 02:46:44 PM

if you not have safe the wallet.dat file, or the private key then you btc are gone

The OP said he DID have a wallet.dat file.

Well Mt. Gox is long gone. But these logins wouldn't be related to the wallet.dat file you have.

You should try to figure out why the issue with the wallet.dat file. There reason the set up full took so long to sync is because it was copying the blockchain, which would have been years of transactions to sync with.
mwrmwr (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 03:14:22 PM

>try and see if u can take out your key-address pairs from the wallet.dat<

How do I do that?
mwrmwr (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:05:13 PM

to export your keys , open the debug console and type dumpwallet <filename-with-path>

I got "Method not found (code -32601)". I entered Help and dumpwallet is not one of the listed commands. There is backupwallet but that doesn't sound like what we want. Also dumpprivkey but with <bitcoinaddress> which of course I don't know.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:22:43 PM

'dumpwallet' is only available on higher version, beginning 0.13.0 if I'm not mistaken ??
try 'listaddressgroupings' instead, or 'listreceivedbyaddress' and check those addresses on explorer
btw why do you keep running the setup.exe file? isn't there a main executable file after the first time installing?

note: make sure you have multiple backup files of your original saved wallet file, just for safety Kiss

mwrmwr (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:40:48 PM

'dumpwallet' is only available on higher version, beginning 0.13.0 if I'm not mistaken ??
try 'listaddressgroupings' instead, or 'listreceivedbyaddress' and check those addresses on explorer
btw why do you keep running the setup.exe file? isn't there a main executable file after the first time installing?

note: make sure you have multiple backup files of your original saved wallet file, just for safety Kiss

I don't keep running setup.

Should I download and install the latest version? If so, where is it?
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 12:37:17 AM

I thought setup.exe was for installing the client. I apologize, I'm not too familiar with (older) bitcoin core version.

did you try 'listaddressgroupings' or 'listreceivedbyaddress' yet? is it giving you any results?
installing new version might give you more problems because of the version differences too big
but if you insist, it's up there listed on forum's header there's a link to Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1

mwrmwr (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 01:17:36 AM

I thought setup.exe was for installing the client. I apologize, I'm not too familiar with (older) bitcoin core version.

did you try 'listaddressgroupings' or 'listreceivedbyaddress' yet? is it giving you any results?
installing new version might give you more problems because of the version differences too big
but if you insist, it's up there listed on forum's header there's a link to Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1

I misspoke/miswrote. I did first run the setup, but after it installed I ran the resulting program.

I'll try 'listaddressgroupings' or 'listreceivedbyaddress' tomorrow. Thanks!
mwrmwr (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 03:23:45 PM

I tried 'listaddressgroupings' and 'listreceivedbyaddress' and neither gave any results.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: