Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:56:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have I messed up while sweeping my wallet?  (Read 149 times)
WillieTheDude (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:51:45 PM

Hi,

So I was trying to sweep my paper wallet to electrum and send some of the coins to an exchange.
The sweep went well I got all the coin to my wallet confirmed and everything.
Now I know that if I would have swept just some portion of it the rest of the coins would be lost for me so I swept all the coins in one transaction.
What scares me is that after sending the wanted amount onto the exchange deposit address second address appeared on blockchain to which rest of my coins is heading.
There was no window to fill another address for rest of the coins so I thought the amount sent will just be deducted from my balance.
The transaction has been confirmed and on blockchain the wallet I got from electrum appears empty but I still see the balance that should have been left in my electrum wallet.

Have I messed up terribly or can someone explain what has happened?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16633

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 06:04:18 PM

So I was trying to sweep my paper wallet to electrum and send some of the coins to an exchange.
The sweep went well I got all the coin to my wallet confirmed and everything.
Now I know that if I would have swept just some portion of it the rest of the coins would be lost for me so I swept all the coins in one transaction.
So far this is correct.

What scares me is that after sending the wanted amount onto the exchange deposit address second address appeared on blockchain to which rest of my coins is heading.
So far this is still normal, Electrum uses a new "change" address each time by default.

There was no window to fill another address for rest of the coins so I thought the amount sent will just be deducted from my balance.

The transaction has been confirmed and on blockchain the wallet I got from electrum appears empty but I still see the balance that should have been left in my electrum wallet.

Have I messed up terribly or can someone explain what has happened?
Did you use a "default" Electrum HD wallet for which you have 12 seed phrase words?

You could have manually sent the change back to an address of your choice, but by default Electrum should create a new change address to send it there. This change address should obviously be part of your own wallet, and should show up again.

WillieTheDude (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:11:45 PM

Did you use a "default" Electrum HD wallet for which you have 12 seed phrase words?

You could have manually sent the change back to an address of your choice, but by default Electrum should create a new change address to send it there. This change address should obviously be part of your own wallet, and should show up again.

I did created new standard wallet I have the seed and I have the password. But I think it's all sorted out.
I've added 'addresses' tab in the electrum there I switched on 'change' and 'funded' and there I can see my coins again.

Thanks for replying though I just spent last half an hour in mini-heart attack mode Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: