Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:56:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Review/Guide) Antminer S9 13.5 Th/s, 1320 W Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner  (Read 2182 times)
HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 04:19:10 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2018, 12:10:06 AM by HagssFIN
Merited by BitMaxz (3), malevolent (2), Wusolini (2)

(Review/Guide) Antminer S9 13.5 Th/s, 1320 W Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner

Click for a bigger version. Picture copyright (c) Bitmain.

1) General information, other needed items
2) Unpacking
3) Overview
4) Install
5) Configuration
6) Testing
7) Power consumption measurement
8] Conclusion
9) How to order

Last updated in: February 26, 2018.

Steemit blogging website:
https://steemit.com/review/@hagssfin/review-guide-antminer-s9-13-5-th-s-1320w-bitcoin-sha-256-asic-miner

Nicely formatted version (February 26, 2018) available for download here (Mega.nz cloud service):
https://mega.nz/#!14lFSQrI!HYGQd_QQLiJ6iWNi0UEvZu7wBC6ANYdBL2Y80jRYw_o

1) General information, other items needed

Antminer S9 is a Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner using 16nm ASIC chip technology, manufactured by Bitmain Technologies (headquarters in Beijing, China).

Antminer S9 is a standalone miner with a built-in controller and you don't need a separate controller, like Raspberry Pi for example to run it.

The advertised nominal hashrate for this particular batch model (13.5 Th/s model) is 13.5 Th/s with a nominal power consumption of 1323 Watts.

It weights 4.2 kg and outer dimensions are 350mm(L) x 135mm(W) x 158mm(H).

Bitmain
: www.bitmain.com

Technical specifications:
Code:
Antminer S9 (13.5 Th/s model)

Hash rate: 13.5 Th/s
Power consumption: 1323W (at the wall, with Bitmain’s APW3 PSU,93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temp). Expected discrepancy of +10%.
Power efficiency: 0.098 J/GH +10% at the wall (with Bitmain’s APW3 PSU, 93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temp)
DC voltage input: 11.60 - 13.00VDC
ASIC chip type: BM1387 (16nm SHA-256 ASIC chip)
ASIC chip quantity per unit (miner): 189 chips
Number of hash boards per unit: 3 hash boards
Cooling: 2x 120mm x 38mm 12VDC 1.65A fan; manufacturer & model: Nidec W12E12BS11B5-57 (front and back, in a push-pull configuration, rotating max. about in the 6000rpm area).
Weight: 4.2 kg
Dimensions: 350mm(L) x 135mm(W) x 158mm(H)

Other items needed:
-A server grade power supply with at least 10x PCI-E 6-pin connectors, everyone with a dedicated cable, at least 18AWG wires.
I used the Bitmain APW3++ 1600W power supply to power my miner.
I can highly recommend to use this power supply with the S9, considering your mains voltage is at least 220VAC.
-C13 power cord suitable to your country's electrical socket
-Ethernet cable to go to your router/switch
-Computer to set initial pool and configuration settings.

2) Unpacking
This was ordered as a January 21-30, 2018 delivery batch, but it got delivered far more earlier.
First the power supply was shipped in November 12, 2017.
Then the S9 was shipped in December 19, 2017.
This was kind of weird, I suspect there must have been some manufacturing or logistics issues,
since there are still a lot of people who haven't received their December delivery orders.

Bitmain has been good in packing their miners for a long time and this delivery was no exception.
Miner is inside a bubblewrap bag and supported by good amount of protecting foam.
Some basic instructions, warranty info, etc. are introduced in the piece of paper that is delivered with the miner.

The APW3++ was also packed really nicely, all in all I'm very satisfied with the delivery.

But I'm giving them a small minus for the mess with the delivery schedule,
I agree it's not fair that I received this S9 before people who have ordered a December delivery batch miner.

Packaging material. Click for a bigger version. Pictures taken by HagssFIN.

3) Overview
Here are some pictures showing the Antminer S9 and the APW3++ power supply.

Click the picture to show a bigger picture. Pictures taken by HagssFIN.

I also did carefully a quick small scale disassembly without breaking any warranty seals.

All in all it looked good and I didn't notice any quality issues when doing the visual inspection
and carefully rotating the miner around to detect if any heat sinks were deattached.

They've had slight updates for the S9 during it's history.
With this unit the controller layout is a bit different than with my other S9's controller, newer model.
Also hash boards are newer model ones.
Cooling fans for this unit were not made by Delta, JSL or Sheng Jiu as it used to be previously.
Instead this unit is now equipped with two pieces same model cooling fans manufactured by Nidec.
The specific model is W12E12BS11B5-57.

With these fans and invidual heat sinks, a good effective cooling is achieved.

Keeping your chip temperatures below 90 C° enable a longer lifetime for your Antminer S9.

4) Install
The installation process is very straight forward with the S9.

You need to connect the Ethernet cable to your miner and the other end to the router or switch device.

And then you need a high power server grade power supply.
Install all ten pieces PCI-E 6-pin power cables to the power headers found at the top side of the miner.
One cable for the controller and nine cables for the hash boards.

When the initial setup is ready, power on the miner and start by finding the miner IP address,
as the S9 comes with DHCP mode in the network settings.
This means it will automatically get an ip address from the router device DHCP IP address pool.

You can find out the IP address by checking it at your router web configuration page,
or by using the IP Report tool that Bitmain provides at their website.

When you know the miner IP address, you are ready for the next step, Configuration.

5) Configuration
First you need open a web browser and go the miner IP address.
The miner will ask you for the user credentials.
Default username: root
Default password: root

After that it is time to setup the mining pool settings.
Click and go to the 'Miner Configuration'.

You can put the pool stratum address, username and password for three different pools in a priority order: Pool 1 > Pool 2 > Pool 3.

After you are ready with the pool settings, press 'Save&Apply'.

This saves and applies the settings and also reboots the mining process.

You can also check the official user guide for both install and configuration instructions.
Official Antminer S9 user guide can be found here:

https://shop.bitmain.com/support.htm

There are also some good tutorial videos available at YouTube.

This is the official Bitmain tutorial video, released by Sherry from Bitmain:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL2D90JyP2Q

Here is another tutorial video set made by Cryptocrane.
Video part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz-XZL77qqs
Video part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQcE6I7jzk

Here is a bunch of screenshot images showing the Antminer S9 web configuration page.

Antminer S9 web configuration page. Click to show a high resolution image.

6) Testing
When I was ready with the miner settings, it was time to test it and see how it starts running.

With the newest model Antminer S9 miners, the hash board frequency settings are set automatically in the startup process.
The goal is to get the maximum performance with each hash board.

The hash rate was in the 13.8 Th/s area, so the hash rate was actually even better than advertised.

Status page. Click for a bigger version.

Then it was time to move forward measuring the power consumption at wall.

7) Power consumption measurement
The power measurement was done with Perel E305EM6-G energy meter.

Technical specs data sheet (.pdf document): https://www.perel.eu/downloads/22/e305em6e305em6ggbnlfresdptpl.pdf

Perel E305EM6-G. Click for a bigger version. Picture taken by HagssFIN.

Power measurement. Click for a bigger version. Picture taken by HagssFIN.

Stable result for the power consumption (at wall) was 1420 W,
when the hash rate was averaging in the 13.8 Th/s area.

The power supply used in this test was Bitmain APW3++ 1600W power supply.

8] Conclusion
This is not my first S9 that I own, but I wanted to have a look at the current situation with the Antminer S9.
Bitmain is currently the market leader in the Bitcoin ASIC miner market with the Antminer S9.
The S9 has so far had considerably longer lifetime than any other Antminer series miner in the history
and Bitmain hasn't yet announced any plans to have a new model replacing the S9.

The development cycle in the industry is getting slower than before, because we are slowly reaching the max. limits
of the silicon based technology.

While some S9 batches have had bunch of quality issues, no competitor beats it in the power efficiency game yet.
For the warranty repair they have the most straight forward process in my opinion.

The S9 performed just as advertised, I got an average hash rate of about 13.8 Th/s and the advertised nominal hash rate is 13.5 Th/s.

Cooling design was done properly with this unit, no failed heat sinks or other issues.
So far I'm liking the fans that Bitmain decided to use in this batch.

Please pay attention that the S9 is a very loud miner as most of the modern ASIC miners are.
You don't want to have this mining in your bed room.

At the moment S9 is definitely the market leader, but we will see if this is going to change in the near future.

Many competitors have announced that they have a new product coming soon.

And who knows if we also see a new product coming from Bitmain.

If you got any questions, feel free to drop them in this thread.
I will try to give my best answer.

9) How to order

You can make the order by visiting their webshop online at their website, when they have a batch open for sales.
See more details at the website.

Bitmain usually announces beforehand about their sales by posting an announcement at their Twitter and Facebook page.

Bitmain: www.bitmain.com

My advice is that only use their official webshop, so that you avoid any scamming attempts.

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CM Australia

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 06:24:03 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2018, 02:55:22 AM by frodocooper

(Review/Guide) Antminer S9 13.5 Th/s, 1320W Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner

Thanks for posting this. Smiley

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to trim the quote from HagssFIN.
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 09:26:48 AM

Another very informative review! Great idea throwing in the fan model and number. I've seen
Quite a few people asking for it. I'd like to see them get their shipping on schedule. They
could just ship them immediately after oredered! Ha! Keep up the good work HagssFin!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
Mursu

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 02:31:59 PM

Thanks for the cool review!

Antminer S9 is a Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner using 14nm ASIC chip technology, manufactured by Bitmain Technologies (headquarters in Beijing, China).

I believe you meant to say 16 nm here.

I have similar experiences with recent S9 batch, gives more Th/s than advertised and uses more power (~1400 W).
HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 02:58:49 PM

Thanks for the cool review!

Antminer S9 is a Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner using 14nm ASIC chip technology, manufactured by Bitmain Technologies (headquarters in Beijing, China).

I believe you meant to say 16 nm here.

I have similar experiences with recent S9 batch, gives more Th/s than advertised and uses more power (~1400 W).

Yes, whoops.  Embarrassed
16 nm.
I fixed the opening post.

Thanks for the feedback you guys.  Smiley

CrypotoCreanis

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

Don’t do a screen name after 4 glasses of Chianti

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 03:40:35 PM

Thanks for the updated review. Looking forward to receiving my 3 S9's
lrowland21093

Activity: 85
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 03:51:52 PM

Great review - It is good to know I was not the only one to see the S9 use more power than advertised!  Mine was measured at 1430W at the wall on 220 which really surprised me.  I was originally hoping to run two S9s on a single APW5 (2600W) supply until I measured the power just one of them took.  This and the noise made me get rid of it in favor of less efficient but quieter options.
HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 02:14:53 AM

...airconditioning
No.
AC is just a big waste of electricity.

...electric fan would do? Or just let it operate without other cooling devices?
For cooling, build a fan system in your facility, if needed.

...Also does it require to have a AVR or UPS?
No.
But a stable electricity and a stable internet connection are needed.

HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 12:50:58 PM

I have one S9 for sale, in case some EU area guy is looking for buying one https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2771379.0

CarrollFilms

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Can I eat a Bitcoin?

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:22:15 PM

What temps are you getting and what is your ambient room temperature?

Back in my day Bitcoin used to cost $69
CrypotoCreanis

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

Don’t do a screen name after 4 glasses of Chianti

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:11:09 PM

What temps are you getting and what is your ambient room temperature?

67-73 on 2 S9's that have been up for 24 hrs now
Ambient around 72 with basement window cracked an inch, low 30's overnight

Will not work so well in summer
HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 11:41:56 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 07:49:08 PM by HagssFIN

Greetings fellow miners,

This review is now updated in February 26, 2018 and there is also a nicely formatted version of this review/guide available for download.  Smiley
Link:
https://mega.nz/#!14lFSQrI!HYGQd_QQLiJ6iWNi0UEvZu7wBC6ANYdBL2Y80jRYw_o

EDIT:

This is now also available in the Steemit blogging website.
Link: https://steemit.com/review/@hagssfin/review-guide-antminer-s9-13-5-th-s-1320w-bitcoin-sha-256-asic-miner

taserz

Activity: 798
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 06:01:41 PM

The reliability is decent unlike the 14th/s which are known to shit the bed quickly.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2018, 07:38:34 PM

Yeah it looks like 13-13.5 Th/s S9 is a sweet spot for good performance and for good lifetime.

dslr11

Activity: 15
Merit: 3

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 04:41:15 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2018, 04:51:39 AM by dslr11
Merited by HagssFIN (1), frodocooper (1)

Just to correct one thing: It has different fans front and back. I have no idea WHAT the difference is, but the front fan is NIDEC UltraFlo W12E12BS11B5-57 and the back one is NIDEC UltraFlo W12E12BS11B5-07. Both are rated 1.65 Amps and I see no visible difference between them. But if they took the effort to install two different fans in each unit (which means more complicated logistics), I'm sure they have a good reason for it. I can't find specs for the fans anywhere. If anyone has any info (or even a theory) about the reason for the different fans, I'm curious.

I just know that my newer S9s that came with these fans run as much as 20 (!!!) degrees C cooler than the old ones I have with the Delta fans.

My old ones with the Delta fans seem to max out at 4800RPM, I have seen the Nidec fans go up to 6000. I wonder if this is only the fans themselves, or maybe the new firmware is more aggressive in keeping the miner cool?
HagssFIN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2018, 03:28:59 PM

Just to correct one thing: It has different fans front and back. I have no idea WHAT the difference is, but the front fan is NIDEC UltraFlo W12E12BS11B5-57 and the back one is NIDEC UltraFlo W12E12BS11B5-07. Both are rated 1.65 Amps and I see no visible difference between them. But if they took the effort to install two different fans in each unit (which means more complicated logistics), I'm sure they have a good reason for it. I can't find specs for the fans anywhere. If anyone has any info (or even a theory) about the reason for the different fans, I'm curious.

I just know that my newer S9s that came with these fans run as much as 20 (!!!) degrees C cooler than the old ones I have with the Delta fans.

My old ones with the Delta fans seem to max out at 4800RPM, I have seen the Nidec fans go up to 6000. I wonder if this is only the fans themselves, or maybe the new firmware is more aggressive in keeping the miner cool?

A good point,
thanks for sharing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: