Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:21:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Medium Size Farm Buildout (Pics Added)  (Read 1438 times)
NateDoggETH (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 03:56:38 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2018, 07:40:56 PM by NateDoggETH

****I did create a new username because the last one was not the best and I could not change it. This is not my first post.****

As tax return season is coming quickly (for most people with typical jobs) my wife and I have decide to pull the trigger and run electricity to the shed in the backyard and start scaling our mining operation up.

We currently have a free 50amp breaker from a hot tub that was removed before purchasing the home. The house is set up for 200amps total base on the main switch I see on the Electrical Panel in the garage.

We are in the process of getting bids to run a sub panel to the shed for the electric. But before we have electricians come out and ask us questions that may be over our heads (like how many 220v and 110v would we need etc.) I figured I would ask for a rough idea on here. You advise will be just that.... advise for me to continue to brain storm on and have the final plan up hopefully by Feb. 1.

I would like to have 3 220v outlets that I would have 3 PDU plugged into for the miners so that if a given.

How many 110v outlets would be needed for fan (3-4 box fans for movement and 3 450 cfm vortex fans for heat exhaust--cool air will be from passive cooling because of the negative pressure.

Questions I wanna know before I ask someone in person:
1. If my panel is only 200amp, can we reduce any amps for the bedrooms to give more Amps for the shed?
2. Can we add a brand new 200amp box just dedicated for the shed but would be billed on the same electric bill monthly? (might be a eclectic company question)
3. Can I put the electrical wiring and the Ethernet wiring in the same trench or run them on the fence line to the shed to save from not digging? (Shed is approx. 170ft away from panel)

any possible ideas, or other things to think about please let me know. I don't want to spend $1000-$2000 just installing electric when there might be better ways
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PushAllIn

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 07:08:56 PM

1. If my panel is only 200amp, can we reduce any amps for the bedrooms to give more Amps for the shed?

You have 200 total, entire house draw and draw per breaker different things.

2. Can we add a brand new 200amp box just dedicated for the shed but would be billed on the same electric bill monthly? (might be a eclectic company question)

You CAN add a 200A sub, but you need to understand MAX house draw and how much are you pulling so you can be sure not to overload your Main

3. Can I put the electrical wiring and the Ethernet wiring in the same trench or run them on the fence line to the shed to save from not digging? (Shed is approx. 170ft away from panel)

You can, some electricians will tell you there might be feedback/talkback/chatter whatever it's called usually there's a min distance so up to you really I haven't noticed any I ran an Ethernet on my 220 line no issues.

any possible ideas, or other things to think about please let me know. I don't want to spend $1000-$2000 just installing electric when there might be better ways

NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 09:34:38 PM

You have 200 total, entire house draw and draw per breaker different things.

You CAN add a 200A sub, but you need to understand MAX house draw and how much are you pulling so you can be sure not to overload your Main

You can, some electricians will tell you there might be feedback/talkback/chatter whatever it's called usually there's a min distance so up to you really I haven't noticed any I ran an Ethernet on my 220 line no issues.

Thanks for the answers. When I lookat my main breaker switch (like if I turn it off it will turn everything off in the house) it says 200amps.

all my individual breakers are set at 20amps except for the 50amp breaker for the hot tub and I wanna say there was another 50 amp for the range in the kitchen. I wish I had time for an electrician to come and look and give a bid. working 8-6pm daily sucks when that's when all the electricians wanna go home.
BeerMan81

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

A shed buildout, my kind of project! Here is mine: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2373161.0

If you have a 200A panel that really means you are only able to run 160A (200*80%). You have to leave some reserve for the house AC, Washer, Drier, Hot tub, (all high amerage items) etc. 200A is overkill actually. My home had a 100A panel, so we upgraded to 400A service and a dedicated 225A feed to the shed.

If you have the capacity, I would run 2-3 30A 220V circuits. Don't worry about the existing circuits because you are not using all that power. I don't think you need a dedicated sub-panel, but that is up to them. If you are going to spend the money, get as much ran out there as possible.

Lots of new content coming soon! - https://www.youtube.com/BeerMan81
All-in-one dashboard to monitor coin prices, wallet balances, and your ming pools. Free!
https://mycryptostats.com/?ref=f1440f27
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:49:33 AM

I will respond to only one part : aim for as many 230v line you can.
It will save you electricityand you can pull more from PSU with 230v than with 110v
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 02:54:02 PM

electrician came out last night and looked things over.

House is 200amps total but he estimated that we are using maybe 35% of that for the 2400sqft house.

I do have a dedicated 50amp breaker for a hot tub that was removed before we bought the home.

He gave me 2 options:

1. He said he could run a line from the 50amp to the shed since that is in the  main box already and that would give be enough for 8 rights. 11,000 watts total but wanted to keep it under 80% so I figured 8 rigs plus fans, network switch, overhead light, outside light at entrance, video security and monitors to view or troubleshoot each rig.

2. Run a 150amp subpanel from the main panel and have all new wiring, conduit, and run Ethernet easier that way also since we would be going from the house.

Bid should be coming in via email today or tomorrow. another electrician is wanting to come out for a bid today but I will be at work and cant leave so its frustrating.

BeerMan81

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 04:28:48 PM

House is 200amps total but he estimated that we are using maybe 35% of that for the 2400sqft house.

I do have a dedicated 50amp breaker for a hot tub that was removed before we bought the home.

He gave me 2 options:

1. He said he could run a line from the 50amp to the shed since that is in the  main box already and that would give be enough for 8 rights. 11,000 watts total but wanted to keep it under 80% so I figured 8 rigs plus fans, network switch, overhead light, outside light at entrance, video security and monitors to view or troubleshoot each rig.

2. Run a 150amp subpanel from the main panel and have all new wiring, conduit, and run Ethernet easier that way also since we would be going from the house.

Bid should be coming in via email today or tomorrow. another electrician is wanting to come out for a bid today but I will be at work and cant leave so its frustrating.

Option 2 seems best! A 150A subpanel would give you 120A dedicated to the shed. If you are only using 35% of the 200A, that equates to 70A. 70A + 120A=190A. You are under your 200A main, but you are over the whole 160A target for continuous load. However, you will not pulling the 70A continuously. This is when you are running AC, doing laundry, microwave, etc all at the same time.

So... seems good!

All-in-one dashboard to monitor coin prices, wallet balances, and your ming pools. Free!
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:26:09 PM

He gave me 2 options:

Option 2 seems best! A 150A subpanel would give you 120A dedicated to the shed. If you are only using 35% of the 200A, that equates to 70A. 70A + 120A=190A. You are under your 200A main, but you are over the whole 160A target for continuous load. However, you will not pulling the 70A continuously. This is when you are running AC, doing laundry, microwave, etc all at the same time.

So... seems good!

thanks for following up. if I can post pics on here easier I would. I know this shows my profile as a newbie but I recently changed usernames so im not 100% retarded when it comes to mining but at the same time im definitely not 100% an expert.

this is going to be a BIG journey for me but so far I am not disappointed with my 2 Rigs.

I will be having "the talk" with my wife tonight if its a good time to borrow and build out 5-6 rigs once the shed has the electric.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 03:46:46 PM

things are getting moving along for the shed build out.

met with the Electrician and his Journey man again last night for 1 final walk through for a complete bid.

I got approval from the boss lady to finance 4 new rigs as long as I do it as cheap as possible to get quickest ROI.

Coins can only be cashed out to pay for Equipment and Electricity and a itemized list of components for each rig must be provided. So easy stuff so far...

I am in the process of searching for 24 graphic cards (that's the budget for right now). Prefer 4gb unless I can get the 8gb for around the same costs. I pull the same hash rate from my RX570 4GB cards as I do my RX 570 8GB cards just better wattage.

We will continue to expand, but if I can get 24 cards for average cost of 250 I can have some extra funds for the hick ups that always happen.

If anyone has any tips on helping make this as cheap as possible let me know. I'm building 4 rigs with these components:

1x2 wood frame for each moving-$5
HP1200watt server PSU-$43.99
Evga 400watt PSU-$40
DDR4 288pin 4gb RAM-$53
Asus h27- Prime AR Motherboard-$101
SSD 60GB-$35
CPU-$55
Risers 6pack-$40

GPUs--unknown as of now

CointoHash411

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 05:09:45 PM

things are getting moving along for the shed build out.

met with the Electrician and his Journey man again last night for 1 final walk through for a complete bid.

I got approval from the boss lady to finance 4 new rigs as long as I do it as cheap as possible to get quickest ROI.

Coins can only be cashed out to pay for Equipment and Electricity and a itemized list of components for each rig must be provided. So easy stuff so far...

I am in the process of searching for 24 graphic cards (that's the budget for right now). Prefer 4gb unless I can get the 8gb for around the same costs. I pull the same hash rate from my RX570 4GB cards as I do my RX 570 8GB cards just better wattage.

We will continue to expand, but if I can get 24 cards for average cost of 250 I can have some extra funds for the hick ups that always happen.

If anyone has any tips on helping make this as cheap as possible let me know. I'm building 4 rigs with these components:

1x2 wood frame for each moving-$5
HP1200watt server PSU-$43.99
Evga 400watt PSU-$40
DDR4 288pin 4gb RAM-$53
Asus h27- Prime AR Motherboard-$101
SSD 60GB-$35
CPU-$55
Risers 6pack-$40

GPUs--unknown as of now
Currently Following
Do you have any followup with pictures of this thus far?
I currently am in the process of setting up an ASIC farm but will be building out a graphics card farm in the future.

-CointoHash411
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 07:16:44 PM

I have the shed 100% cleared out except a workbench that I need a saws all to remove for more sq footage. Pics wil be coming up in the next week once I get electric and insulation run to the shed.

Still searching forbGPU between 200-280 per card if anyone can point me in a direction. Need 24-27 cards total. Must be brand new at RX570 4gb.

Thanks people
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:18:01 PM

In the process of digging the trench by hand because of to many sprinklers or pool pipes. About 25% done on the trench and Monday electric will be installed. Moving quickly boys
Unknown Suspect

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:45:48 PM

Buy these 240V PDU's. They are brand-new, sealed, and come with a TON of HD-quality powercables (c13/c14). https://www.ebay.com/itm/382243077501

I bought four kits. 20A PDU de-rated to 16A. Each comes with L6-20P main power cables to go to the wall but I bough L6-30P cables instead to fit my plugs. I bolted them to the side rail of my muscle-rack's from Home Depot using the hardware the kits come with (90 degree brackets). I'll upload some photos soon.

Look into installing a Eaton Ultimate whole-house surge protector: http://a.co/iiVm9K5 (super cheap now! $95). Install it properly using a 50-Amp breaker to maximize the full rating of the surge protector. I have yet to install mine as I had to order a quad-tandem breaker to make room for two more slots in my panel.
CointoHash411

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:29:28 PM

Awesome, I hope all goes well with this build out. Share some photo and facts as you go along. I think we all want to know what is the 'good' and 'bad' in this buildout.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 08:24:29 PM

Awesome, I hope all goes well with this build out. Share some photo and facts as you go along. I think we all want to know what is the 'good' and 'bad' in this buildout.

So far I have had a few hick ups in the process.

we got the trench dug and realized that the area has a French drain and had to move the trench over about 8-12 inches. that was not that hard minus pulling out a tap root that weighted about 65 pounds after trimming it.

also, we had the trench dug, and of course we found all the pipes for the sprinkler system and wires for them also except for 1 jimmy rigged water pipe. it was exposed overnight because PVC and wire was being run the next day and the freezing temps caused it to burst.

This ended up being a crazy ordeal to deal with at 2am in 10f degrees but we got the water shut off and had the plumbers out to repair the line that night and the next day as the pipe cracked more under ground.

from what I was told last night, we would be testing electric and LAN on Saturday. Pics soon to come. this has been more of a stress getting the electric installed than previously thought it was. hoping for smooth sailing after this is all done. I will be putting in the rigs before adding the insulation though so that I can get them out of the house and actually hear for once. haha.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:02:50 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2018, 03:18:26 PM by NateDoggETH

Progress Report on Shed build out.

sorry for the late update, as you will read, I've been under a weight of pressure

ALWAYS HAVE A CONTRACT IN HAVE BEFORE WORK BEGINS! IT HAS SAVED ME BIG TIME.

Master Electrician got upset at how slow the build was taking (his employees not mine) and demanding more money even though they where over budget per contract and time. All that is left is the ground rod to be installed and then we can test things out.

I have fired them obviously because they refused to do the ground rod unless I give them more money. then called back 2 hours later and apologized and said they want to at least finish the ground rod so things would be put together properly. (Prob cause they know ill go out and try to figure it out now myself). This is a little concerning I think don't y'all think?

I'm fine with hiring a new electrician to do it. I think they are worried about being sued for leaving it unsafe if I flip a switch or something and get electrocuted or something

so once ground rod is installed and I guess there is a copper wire that goes from that rod to the sub panel (someone confirm this for me if you can) I can test for connections. I want to know this information that way some electrician doesn't try to swindle me out of $$ also. I know ill have to pay for his time to confirm what I'm asking.

I have 10/3 wire for the 3-30 amp 240v breakers and then 12/2 for the 20 amp outlets.

I am going to wire the shed up to the point of the breaker box and outlet and then have a NEW master electrician do that work.

I do have all the parts ready and most of the GPUs modded but they need some tweaking in OverdrivenTool. I'm going to order new motherboards because I went cheap and I should have gotten Asus like my other rigs and also instead of 1000w server power supplies, I should have gotten 1200w server power supplies because the 1000w ones I ordered are running the GPUs one the break out board. My screw up again from all this pressure.

Let this be a teaching tool for people who build 1-2 rigs and see how easier it is and want to build 10k worth in gpus. take baby steps and don't rush the progress. I will get this done yes, but it has been a stress on me personally, and my family also as I'm handling the issues with this stuff and not spending time with them.

Im 100% in for ETH but at the same time, my family should be first too

So, once grounding rod and wires are run, I will be moving most of my equipment to the shed after the security system is installed (by me). I will post pics of the updates ones I can upload to computer. its mostly just a 175ft trench 20inch deep with conduit in it.

I know the photos that people are really wanting to see is the final progress. haha
CointoHash411

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:42:34 AM

(NateDoggETH)

No problem 12/2 is fine as long as your carrying no more that 20 Amp load on it well technically 10% less than full load on the breaker. The grounding rod is important because well, a floating ground or neutral can mess-up sensitive electronics like miners :-) The copper wire running from the grounding rod must be connected to a grounding busbar inside of the sub-panel. That being said this is where the ground on your outlets connect to.

Hope this helps, oh an 'don't' for the love of god touch any of the 10/3 wires or an open/exposed panel. Yes an outlet can electrocute you, however a 10/3 is game over! with no instance replays.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:23:24 AM

(NateDoggETH)

No problem 12/2 is fine as long as your carrying no more that 20 Amp load on it well technically 10% less than full load on the breaker. The grounding rod is important because well, a floating ground or neutral can mess-up sensitive electronics like miners :-) The copper wire running from the grounding rod must be connected to a grounding busbar inside of the sub-panel. That being said this is where the ground on your outlets connect to.

Hope this helps, oh an 'don't' for the love of god touch any of the 10/3 wires or an open/exposed panel. Yes an outlet can electrocute you, however a 10/3 is game over! with no instance replays.

I'm going to pregame the wire then have a electrian do the stuff that I am afraid of dying from. With my luck, I'll still be alive, but have an enormous hospital bill and my ROI is gone. Lol.

So I'll have it ready, they to the wire connections, I stay alive. That's the plan as of tonight. Start to hang wire tomorrow night
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:57:15 PM

Update on shed build out

I have gotten electric installed and 2x240v and 10x120v outlets set throughout the shed. I can add more 240v outlets as I need as well because I just stapled the wires to the studs and I am not putting up dry wall.

I also just about have insulation done throughout the shed. I just have the  ceiling to complete. I have 2x400 cfm vortex fans to exhaust heat from the shed through the ceiling hole and 1 window. I will have a another place for cooler air to be brought in from the shaded portion of the shed area. It will be a passive air flow system and just exhausting as much heat as possible. I will have the vortex fans set up but Saturday and I will have 3 of the 7 rigs in there by Sunday morning as a test run for temps.

This has been exhausting but rewarding experience. Next time, I definitely wont be going balls to the walls as quickly to not tire myself out. All rigs will be up and running by Feb 15th now and should be close to 1 GH/s now that I have a few extra cards that keep coming in. 
CointoHash411

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:11:13 PM

Pictures I know many have asked. I think this is awesome for the build-out, many of us would like to see how things are coming along with all of this. Where is your location? are you in the U.S.  north, south, east, or west?
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:03:08 PM

Pictures I know many have asked. I think this is awesome for the build-out, many of us would like to see how things are coming along with all of this. Where is your location? are you in the U.S.  north, south, east, or west?

pics will come at one time when I have time to sit and upload then from my phone to here. I am trying to make sure I get this up and running as fast as possible but at the same time not miss out on the important parts of living with the family. But like I said, I have photos throughout the process taken and will be taking a few more as I wrap things up.

I am located in southern part of USA and electric is super cheap for me. like China cheap at the moment haha.
CointoHash411

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:43:27 AM

Same here I too am living in the southeast of the United States currently. I have some photos of the setup that I built, I am currently running a 440 CFM fan in an 220 CuFt room in my house that houses all my mining equipment. That being said it is still not enough to completely keep the miners under 80 degrees. I hope that in the summer it will help more than in the previous summer running them with just a box fan blowing on them. That being said I am also running ASICs so that could be the main culprit of all my heat issues.

remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:15:36 AM

Pictures I know many have asked. I think this is awesome for the build-out, many of us would like to see how things are coming along with all of this. Where is your location? are you in the U.S.  north, south, east, or west?

pics will come at one time when I have time to sit and upload then from my phone to here. I am trying to make sure I get this up and running as fast as possible but at the same time not miss out on the important parts of living with the family. But like I said, I have photos throughout the process taken and will be taking a few more as I wrap things up.

I am located in southern part of USA and electric is super cheap for me. like China cheap at the moment haha.

Is it cheaper than .05 kw/h? Thats what it is here in West Central IN.  

You should have a #6 solid copper running from your ground rod to your ground bus bar in your shed panel.  Your shed panel should NOT have the neutral and ground bus bar jumpered (IE: Not Bonded).  Your shed ground bus bar should have a #6 solid copper wire going all the way to the ground bus bar in your home (assuming your home panel is the first disconnect device after the Meter.  (Sometimes a meter base will have a disconnect and in that case the neutral and ground bus bars should be jumpered together there in the meter base panel and NOT anywhere else.

I might end up building or buying a shed myself just for mining rigs (easier to cool than a whole 3 car garage).  If I go big enough ill just have the power company run the shed its own 200a feed and install a meter there.  Just depends on what crypto does over the next 5 months or so.

I think you will find that the southern humidity and heat during the summer that you will NOT be able to keep your rigs cool enough.  Circulating 90 degree plus air does not cool much of anything. A fan does NOT make cool air.  It only circulates the air surrounding it and is slave to whatever its temp is.  You will probably need to install an a/c unit.  Either big window unit or a smaller system (Mini split will do well here).
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:48:13 PM

I have #1 gauge wire (for voltage drop because of distance) from the main panel to my subpanel in the shed. I do have it set up to where I can have a dedicated 200amp service if I should choose in the future but I would probably just get a ware house at that point (dreams).

I will be having a portable AC unit in the shed possibly during the summer months but I am honestly not to worried about it as of right now.

I know that exhausting more hot air than circulating it will help 90% of all heat issues. the 10% will be the AC and other circulation of fresh air from outside (away from the exhausted air).

I will continually be adding more and more exhaust fans or just upgrade to a higher CFM fan if needed to upgrade to handle ventilation needs as things get bigger and hotter inside and outside.

and to answer someone's question if its under .05 per Kw... yes. I have flat cost regardless of usage (so that means unlimited). I live in a semi wealthy neighborhood (trust me I'm not rich by any means) so I turned off the pool heater and everything I could to just switch where my electricity would be used by the miners instead.
remauto1187ma

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 12:34:55 AM

Your feeder #1 AWG wires are not the same as your #6 Ground wire.  There should never be any voltage on your ground wire and never any current flow on it either UNLESS there is an electrical fault in the shed thin there will be current flow until the breaker that feeds the fault trips which is almost instantaneous.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 02:26:56 PM

Your feeder #1 AWG wires are not the same as your #6 Ground wire.  There should never be any voltage on your ground wire and never any current flow on it either UNLESS there is an electrical fault in the shed thin there will be current flow until the breaker that feeds the fault trips which is almost instantaneous.

Yes that is true.

I do have the ground rod in place with the right gauge wire going from rod to grounding bar in subpanel. All work was done by a master electrician. I just asked a million questions and read up on what he would be doing to learn also. But that's how I am, if I want something done that I cannot do, I wanna learn while it's getting done.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 02:48:28 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2018, 02:59:24 PM by senseless

****I did create a new username because the last one was not the best and I could not change it. This is not my first post.****

As tax return season is coming quickly (for most people with typical jobs) my wife and I have decide to pull the trigger and run electricity to the shed in the backyard and start scaling our mining operation up.

We currently have a free 50amp breaker from a hot tub that was removed before purchasing the home. The house is set up for 200amps total base on the main switch I see on the Electrical Panel in the garage.

We are in the process of getting bids to run a sub panel to the shed for the electric. But before we have electricians come out and ask us questions that may be over our heads (like how many 220v and 110v would we need etc.) I figured I would ask for a rough idea on here. You advise will be just that.... advise for me to continue to brain storm on and have the final plan up hopefully by Feb. 1.

I would like to have 3 220v outlets that I would have 3 PDU plugged into for the miners so that if a given.

How many 110v outlets would be needed for fan (3-4 box fans for movement and 3 450 cfm vortex fans for heat exhaust--cool air will be from passive cooling because of the negative pressure.

#1) It's 240V service, not 220V service. (That 20V difference is 600W on a 30A circuit).
#2) You need a 10/3 (10 awg 3 conductor) wire for each 30A circuit. This will cost you like $1/foot
#3) You'll need a conduit large enough to house 3 conductors. Another $1/foot.
#4) You'll need 3x 2 pole 30A breakers ($20ea)
#5) You'll need 3x L6-30R at the end of your conduit, each connected to a single conductor set. ($20ea for the housing and the outlet)
#6) From there you'll just need to find a PDU with a L6-30P that's capable of connecting to the L6-30R. There are a lot of these around with a variety of features from monitoring to switching. (Being able to remotely reboot your miners is a nice thing, but it'll cost you)

I would estimate materials cost for your build at: $800... From there it just depends on what you can get an electrician to do it for. Maybe you can run / bury the conduit with the cables in it (that'd be the costliest part of this, the rest of it could be done in an hour or 2). With these parts you'll end up with 90A of service with 72A usable (17.2kW) over 3x 30A (24A usable) lines.

From an installation perspective... You'll need to install the 2 pole breaker, insert 1 red conductor to one pole, insert 1 black conductor to the second pole, and green or uninsulated conductor to the grounding bar (WHICH IS NOT THE SAME AS A NEUTRAL -- DON'T KILL YOURSELF THINKING THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL ARE THE SAME). Run the conductor through the buried conduit to your shed. connect the conduit to 3 junction boxes each housing it's own L6-30R. Connect black and red to their respective hots, and green or uninsulated conductor to the ground on the receptacle. Install your PDUs. Start mining, then switch your concern over to cooling with summer approaching Smiley

Here's my PDU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HY9E2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ASF0S1GFIHF5V&psc=1 -- But it does only have 2x 15A breakers which means you can only use only 12A on each breaker bank. There is a monitored version (cheaper) which has 2x 20A breakers, but doesn't give you remote reboot functionality.

If your house is anything like mine, you won't have to worry about voltage drop. I'm running 245V at my outlets. Down at my barn (maybe 150ft) there is zero voltage drop.

NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 02:49:49 PM

#1) It's 240V service, not 220V service. (That 20V difference is 600W on a 30A circuit).
#2) You need a 10/3 (10 awg 3 conductor) wire for each 30A circuit. This will cost you like $1/foot
#3) You'll need a conduit large enough to house 3 conductors. Another $1/foot.
#4) You'll need 3x 2 pole 30A breakers ($20ea)
#5) You'll need 3x L6-30R at the end of your conduit, each connected to a single conductor set. ($20ea for the housing and the outlet)
#6) From there you'll just need to find a PDU with a L6-30P that's capable of connecting to the L6-30R. There are a lot of these around with a variety of features from monitoring to switching. (Being able to remotely reboot your miners is a nice thing, but it'll cost you)

I would estimate materials cost for your build at: $800... From there it just depends on what you can get an electrician to do it for. Maybe you can run / bury the conduit with the cables in it (that'd be the costliest part of this, the rest of it could be done in an hour or 2). With these parts you'll end up with 90A of service with 72A usable (17.2kW) over 3x 30A (24A usable) lines.

From an installation perspective... You'll need to install the 2 pole breaker, insert 1 red conductor to one pole, insert 1 black conductor to the second pole, and green or uninsulated conductor to the grounding bar (WHICH IS NOT THE SAME AS A NEUTRAL -- DON'T KILL YOURSELF THINKING THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL ARE THE SAME). Run the conductor through the buried conduit to your shed. connect the conduit to 3 junction boxes each housing it's own L6-30R. Connect black and red to their respective hots, and green or uninsulated conductor to the ground on the receptacle. Install your PDUs. Start mining, then switch your concern over to cooling with summer approaching Smiley

Here's my PDU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HY9E2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ASF0S1GFIHF5V&psc=1 -- But it does only have 2x 15A breakers which means you can only use only 12A on each breaker bank. There is a monitored version (cheaper) which has 2x 20A breakers, but doesn't give you remote reboot functionality.

If your house is anything like mine, you won't have to worry about voltage drop. I'm running 245V at my outlets. Down at my barn (maybe 150ft) there is zero voltage drop.

Thank you for your post.

My shed has been wired (yes 10/3 with 2x30amp L6-30P outlets for the Tripplite PDUs that are in there right now. I will add 1 more outlet when I need it. The PDUs are not switched but just a basic version to get me up and running on my rigs down there.

I currently have 3 rigs running right now and the shed is staying around 65degree (F). Cards are running between 46C-65C depending on which card and where it is in the shed.

I have order 1 more exhaust fan rated for Approx. 500cfm.

I messed up and said I had 2 400+CFM and I really have 1x190cfm and 1x450cfm vortex fans. So 1 more additional exhaust fan will be good for the shed. I plan on cutting a smaller intake hole for the 190CFM vortex and having that on a fan controller to control how much fresh airs gets in. (my idea is to help maintain humidity this way also. not an issue not but thinking for the future) I been and seen other peoples ventures (grow rooms) that needed lots of exhaust and this is what they recommended I do. 

Finally, I am order the last 2 mother boards today (hopefully) and will put those rigs together this week and throw them in there.

Once I get all rigs and the new vortex fan hung up, a final video will be made. I will include some parts of the other videos such as the running of the electric and Ethernet cords to the shed from previous photos/videos I have taken.

I am approx. 85% completed with the shed in my opinion though. Thank you to everyone who has commented and been patient as I get the video ready. Once you see the completed video, you will be happy.

My house is super quiet now that I moved those rigs to the shed to test the temps and stuff haha.

remauto1187ma

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:29:05 AM

Your feeder #1 AWG wires are not the same as your #6 Ground wire.  There should never be any voltage on your ground wire and never any current flow on it either UNLESS there is an electrical fault in the shed thin there will be current flow until the breaker that feeds the fault trips which is almost instantaneous.

Yes that is true.

I do have the ground rod in place with the right gauge wire going from rod to grounding bar in subpanel. All work was done by a master electrician. I just asked a million questions and read up on what he would be doing to learn also. But that's how I am, if I want something done that I cannot do, I wanna learn while it's getting done.

Your master electrician should know that the NEC states the the ground rod connects to the ground bar in THE FIRST DISCONNECT DEVICE which is typically your main panel in your house.  If your main panel is the first disconnect device then it should have the gorund and neutral jumpered together.  Your shed should have a #6 wire running to the ground bus bar in your main panel (house) and there shouldnt be any ground rod at the shed let alone connected to the directly to the shed main panel. Shed should also NOT have ground and neutral bus bar jumpered.
solarismedic

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:53:21 AM

I am approx. 85% completed with the shed in my opinion though. Thank you to everyone who has commented and been patient as I get the video ready. Once you see the completed video, you will be happy.

My house is super quiet now that I moved those rigs to the shed to test the temps and stuff haha.

So...I gotta ask.  Did you let the wife know what the 'new' ROI is going to be with the price and difficulty changes?  Things have looked alot different now compared to when this thread was started.

Either way, more power to the adventurous.  Good luck!
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:47:26 PM

So...I gotta ask.  Did you let the wife know what the 'new' ROI is going to be with the price and difficulty changes?  Things have looked alot different now compared to when this thread was started.

Either way, more power to the adventurous.  Good luck!

When we looked at the projected outcome, the difficulty and ROI was definitely lower on both fronts.

However, we were not going to cash out any coins for 1+ year anyways. We actually received the ROI back from a surprise bonus at work just last week. We applied that straight to the mining costs and are about $2000 under still right now. I currently have 12000 USD for 5 rigs (6 GPUs each) and about 1500 of that is for maintenance  hardware such as exhaust fans, security system, wiring the inside of the shed such as outlets, etc... So I should be out of the red very soon. Hoping for 30+ ETH by end of 2018 and if ETH goes to $2,000+ I’ll be set. We still are keeping out day jobs which pays more than enough.

I just got the 5th rig build over the weekend and waiting on a new server PSU so I have enough juice to run all the GPUs on that rig.

So far without tweaking I have the following hash rate:

rig1: 174mh/s (3 sapphire Nitro 570 8 GB Samsung memory & 3 ASUS strix 570 4 GB Elp. memory)
rig2: 165mh/s (6 XFX 570 4 GB Hynix memory)
rig3:158.8mh/s (6 XFX 570 4 GB Hynix memory)
rig4:170.2mh/s (6 Gigabyte gaming 570 4gb Samsung memory)
rig5:117.4mh/s (4 Gigabyte Aorus 570 4gb 2 Samsung memory & 2 Hynix memory), will add more GPUs when the 1200 watt server PSU comes in)

I will be doing heavy tweaking throughout the week but most likely it will be on the weekend when I shoot my video for everyone.

Thanks for the patience on the final setup. It still won’t look at pretty as BeerMans shed or others on here, but is a work in progress. I will continue to add more Rigs as I can of course

I will have a 6th rig built but it will be to tweak all new cards and for troubleshooting. I have 2x1070s from a friend (lucky me right?) I will put those cards on the test rigs until he gets more for his own.
CointoHash411

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 04:41:57 AM

Nice,

Hope the ROI does pay off, I have already met my ROI for this past year. I am hoping that my other hodl's come out of this slump, like MUSIC Coin and others. If Music would reach 1.50 to 2.50 it would set me right to open my own mining datacenter. I guess dreams are free for now. I am still holding out on those pictures of your build out.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 03:37:35 PM

I am hoping for a video this weekend of everything (depends on if I can get my other rigs in the shed). I have been dealing with massive amount of rain in my area so I have not done the organization of the shed yet and I still have 2 rigs in my house that I need to put in the shed and im not doing that until the rain stops obviously. 

As far as ROI is concerned, since we (wife and I) received bonuses totaling $6500, we applied that to the cost of the rigs and we do have enough coins now that if we cashed out, we would be 100% ROI and more. However, we aren't cashing out until end of the year hoping for an increase in price per coin.

Temps in the shed for 3 rigs is about 75f when it is about 65F outside. I have both 450CFM fans exhausting now out the roof of the shed and have a small 190CFM for an intake. Humidity has been around 10%-30% depending on the time of day and outside weather.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 07:32:42 PM

update on the shed. (*2nd attic fan was added to shed today as well so testing for lower temps now*)

I have added 2 attic exhaust fans (the 1650CFM fan is right behind the GPUs to exhaust heat and the other is 1300CFM on the side window for more exhaust) on each window and I have the other 2x450 cfm fans exhausting out the ceiling through ducting. All the miners are staying at 45C-60C depending on card location. Only 3-4 cards are hitting the 60C temps though so not to worried.

For intake, I simply cut 2 rectangle holes in the floor and have a 190 cfm fan sucking in on 1 of them and the other is a passive intake. Holes are located at the front of the shed as well for a wind tunnel effect. I can physically feel the air movement when the door is shut.

Temps outside the shed have been hitting Mid 80s-90s in Texas these past few days.Temps inside the shed are around 85F-90F at the peak heat of the day. I have not had any issues with temps so far as I'm simply exhausting heated air faster and bringing in the cooler air for a natural window tunnel.

I have a lot more room to add more Rigs in the future if I need or want too. I have seen a ton of GPUs for sell in the area and I know more will continue to flood the craigslist market. Waiting for the right time to continue to grow. Until then, I am dual mining ETH and DCR. I have about 965 MH/s ETH and 18500 MH/S DCR.  I have unlimited electricity for $230/month +tax. That includes distribution/transporting fees from electrical company.

Finally I have taken some pics for everyone to see. I still have some major organizing to do but here are the 5 x 6 GPU rigs I have in it so far. I have a 3 GPU rig in the house I'm still tinkering with but it will be moved down here soon.

Here are a few pics that I took today.

https://imgur.com/k34A3qj
https://imgur.com/f0jJzaC
https://imgur.com/x4dpGug
https://imgur.com/fki3f08
gopher556

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 07:56:09 PM

I have unlimited electricity for $230/month +tax. That includes distribution/transporting fees from electrical company.

Okay, I'm in TX too (DFW), and do you mind letting me know what's the secret with the unlimited electricity? Wind power, solar power setup?

BTW fantastic shed! I have my 5 mining rigs in my empty garage now, it gets rather hot Sad, need to crack the door open a bit to cool it down.
dhouse

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:03:53 PM

update on the shed. (*2nd attic fan was added to shed today as well so testing for lower temps now*)

I have added 2 attic exhaust fans (the 1650CFM fan is right behind the GPUs to exhaust heat and the other is 1300CFM on the side window for more exhaust) on each window and I have the other 2x450 cfm fans exhausting out the ceiling through ducting. All the miners are staying at 45C-60C depending on card location. Only 3-4 cards are hitting the 60C temps though so not to worried.

For intake, I simply cut 2 rectangle holes in the floor and have a 190 cfm fan sucking in on 1 of them and the other is a passive intake. Holes are located at the front of the shed as well for a wind tunnel effect. I can physically feel the air movement when the door is shut.

Temps outside the shed have been hitting Mid 80s-90s in Texas these past few days.Temps inside the shed are around 85F-90F at the peak heat of the day. I have not had any issues with temps so far as I'm simply exhausting heated air faster and bringing in the cooler air for a natural window tunnel.

I have a lot more room to add more Rigs in the future if I need or want too. I have seen a ton of GPUs for sell in the area and I know more will continue to flood the craigslist market. Waiting for the right time to continue to grow. Until then, I am dual mining ETH and DCR. I have about 965 MH/s ETH and 18500 MH/S DCR.  I have unlimited electricity for $230/month +tax. That includes distribution/transporting fees from electrical company.

Finally I have taken some pics for everyone to see. I still have some major organizing to do but here are the 5 x 6 GPU rigs I have in it so far. I have a 3 GPU rig in the house I'm still tinkering with but it will be moved down here soon.

Here are a few pics that I took today.

https://imgur.com/k34A3qj
https://imgur.com/f0jJzaC
https://imgur.com/x4dpGug
https://imgur.com/fki3f08

This is pretty cool. I'm running just one rig right now but really wanting to try and make a move like this soon.

Are you worried at all about rain with the holes in the floor?
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 09:29:19 PM

No I am not as of now.

I have 4 layers of mirco screen covering the holes (stapled to the floor) and the holes are also about 1 foot off the ground. as far as the windows are concerned, I am going to plan outside covers on them to help with rain blow back during our storm season. The air force from each fan will also help prevent any rain from getting in until the fan covers are in place.
CryptoPlay

Activity: 202

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 10:47:10 PM

Really nice project. Thanks for sharing this!

https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-2065.png
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 12:11:17 AM

Really nice project. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks. So far the majority of the cost for all the equipment is paid off. We r just going to sit back and collect coins hoping for a high payday in the future now. Generating about 2.2 ETH a month right now
BeerMan81

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2018, 09:05:24 AM

I saw the pics! Finally!!! I would love some more, perhaps one from the outside?

shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2018, 12:05:10 PM

Your designs look very nice. Especially the cooling setup.
If you are going to build more rigs, I think it's better to make isolation between hot (outtake) and cool air (intake) along with this high speed fan. 

NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 03:29:10 PM

I saw the pics! Finally!!! I would love some more, perhaps one from the outside?

I know I will get some outside pics when I can.

I hope to add more GPUs I the future to get me over the 1gh/s mark. Thinking Juneish will be the best time for my to have extra cash on hand and purchase enough to put me over that mark.

I am going to rewire the attic gable style fans into one single 20amp breaker. They are currently on separate dedicated breakers. I am willing to add more attic fans if need for ventilation.

So far what would anyone suggest that I change or adjust knowing that summer in Texas is approaching. Inside Shed is sitting around 95F when the heat is at a high of 85F.
remauto1187ma

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:29:41 PM

I hope to add more GPUs I the future to get me over the 1gh/s mark. Thinking Juneish will be the best time for my to have extra cash on hand and purchase enough to put me over that mark.

I am going to rewire the attic gable style fans into one single 20amp breaker. They are currently on separate dedicated breakers. I am willing to add more attic fans if need for ventilation.

So far what would anyone suggest that I change or adjust knowing that summer in Texas is approaching. Inside Shed is sitting around 95F when the heat is at a high of 85F.
I would look at the FLA (Full Load Amps) rating on the nameplate of the attic fans before I stuck them both on the same 20a breaker.   When an electric motor first starts up and until it gets to rated speed it will draw 5-10 times its FLA.  This will be a problem if both fans start at the same time which will most likely happen if your fans are on a thermostat and also when you first start them up together.  So I really need to know what kind of current these fans are drawing to give you a better idea in your situation.  Why not keep them on separate breakers?  Are you running out of spaces in your circuit breaker panel? There are breakers that take up half a space (2 in 1) that will allow you to only use one breaker space but get 2 breakers out of it.  You also have the option of adding a subpanel to get more spaces if needed too.
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:59:41 PM

I would look at the FLA (Full Load Amps) rating on the nameplate of the attic fans before I stuck them both on the same 20a breaker.   When an electric motor first starts up and until it gets to rated speed it will draw 5-10 times its FLA.  This will be a problem if both fans start at the same time which will most likely happen if your fans are on a thermostat and also when you first start them up together.  So I really need to know what kind of current these fans are drawing to give you a better idea in your situation.  Why not keep them on separate breakers?  Are you running out of spaces in your circuit breaker panel? There are breakers that take up half a space (2 in 1) that will allow you to only use one breaker space but get 2 breakers out of it.  You also have the option of adding a subpanel to get more spaces if needed too.

I have no reason to put them on a single breaker. I just thought it would help with wire management. But I can see the point for keeping them separate. I have plenty of space for more breakers. Ill run out of Amps before I'll run out of breaker space haha.

remauto1187ma

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 08:17:35 PM

In that case who gives a shit what all romex looks like as long as its safely installed and out of the way.  Theres a fine line between making something too pretty and wasting alot of time doing it and constructing something to serve a purpose.  Pretty doesnt make you money. 
CointoHash411

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:26:38 AM

Looks, pretty good so far.

I too have been expanding my mining far, I will be receiving my next batch of ASIC based miners soon. Unfortunately, it just doesn't pay great at this time to buy 1060s or 1070s at their ridiculous amounts they can be found.

NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 01:45:29 PM

Looks, pretty good so far.

I too have been expanding my mining far, I will be receiving my next batch of ASIC based miners soon. Unfortunately, it just doesn't pay great at this time to buy 1060s or 1070s at their ridiculous amounts they can be found.

that is true about not paying much on the returns for GPUs at the moment. I am still profiting almost $1k a month with todays prices of ETH which is what I am mining still.

just got a new air compressor so I will be doing some vacuuming and dusting this weekend since spring time is causing a ton of pollen to be in the air.
CointoHash411

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 02:28:07 AM

NateDogETH

I too have the same issues with my miners right now, also heat is starting to become an issue an I think this is due to the sheer amount of pollen that is in the air getting to the miners. Time for a small shutdown and some spring cleaning to get things back on track!
NateDoggETH (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 03:16:51 PM

NateDogETH

I too have the same issues with my miners right now, also heat is starting to become an issue an I think this is due to the sheer amount of pollen that is in the air getting to the miners. Time for a small shutdown and some spring cleaning to get things back on track!

Yeah I have a power outage at my house yesterday and when the Rigs came back on, only 3 out of the 5 were working 100%. the other 2 were only showing 3 out of the 6 cards for each rig. I was able to get 1 back up and running by remote into it at work and DDU the drivers and reinstalled them.

The other Rig is still down so I only have 4 up and running at this time 100%. I think I am having a Riser issue on it so I will change some out tonight after work and also do some dusting since I will have it semi dismantled.

The cards turn on, but Rig is not detecting them. will post update after its fixed.

I am in the process of doing a RMA on 1 of my GPUs at the moment as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: