Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:06:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Disruptive Marketplace - BTC and Mobile Payments  (Read 2533 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:15:03 PM

This morning over coffee I was pondering for a while over the incredible losses that many big companies are going to face due to Bitcoin's timely arrival.

We're on the cusp of mainstream mobile phone payment systems - systems that have been built for hundreds of millions of dollars over the past couple years. These systems are now about to hit the market, and big companies like eBay/Paypal, Google, and Visa are buying them.

And now this ridiculous thing called Bitcoin happens, and this dude Brian Armstrong develops a beautiful and elegant Android client, and suddenly anyone in the world can send payments to each other online or with their phones with almost zero fees. How disruptive this is! These other mobile payment companies may be screwed over the next 1-2 years of Bitcoin is widely adopted as a currency.

Capitalism can be brutal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:19:04 PM

Short the Dow.
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:29:21 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/07/technology/ebay_zong/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=hp_bn3

What do you have to say about Zong-Pal?
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:34:13 PM

Confirmation. They see the writing on the wall, and predictably are trying to adapt/compensate.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:36:36 PM

Zong is centralized, so it can be controlled by Ebay/government/whomever.  It has nothing on Bitcoin.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 04:40:14 PM

Yeah that's kinda the article that prompted my post - there are similar developments with other companies as well.

Let's consider that it took at minimum 3-4 months for ebay and zong to negotiate and sign a contract together. That takes us back to mid-march... when Bitcoin was essentially still a completely unknown phenomenon. In that span of time, Bitcoin appreciated by an order of magnitude, hundreds of new businesses have been created, half a dozen new exchanges emerged, and an elegant end-to-end mobile app was developed for Android. All in the time it took them to discuss their contract.

Wow =)
qikaifu

Activity: 168

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:18:06 PM

Zong is centralized, so it can be controlled by Ebay/government/whomever.  It has nothing on Bitcoin.

Average people don't really care that much about "been controlled" by ? and ? and ?.

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:26:22 PM

Average people don't really care that much about "been controlled" by ? and ? and ?.

They do if that control prohibits them from freely using their money.

Controlled currency: Someone else imposes fees on you, tells you when you can pay, how much you can pay, imposes restrictions on who you can pay to, and can even take back money paid to you already.

With bitcoins all those are irrelevant and unavailable. It's one reason why I think it will always have at least some future.

When 2 people have a bitcoin wallet, money will travel freely between them.
There is nobody to tell you what you can, or can't do with your money. If you have it, you can pay with it to anyone who accepts it.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:26:27 PM

Yeah that's kinda the article that prompted my post - there are similar developments with other companies as well.

Let's consider that it took at minimum 3-4 months for ebay and zong to negotiate and sign a contract together. That takes us back to mid-march... when Bitcoin was essentially still a completely unknown phenomenon. In that span of time, Bitcoin appreciated by an order of magnitude, hundreds of new businesses have been created, half a dozen new exchanges emerged, and an elegant end-to-end mobile app was developed for Android. All in the time it took them to discuss their contract.

Wow =)

^^this.

yeah, Bitcoin is doomed.  dooommmmed, i tell ya.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:31:29 PM

But a natural fallout of that is the fees that accrue at every stop along the way. Average people sure care about that. That is why bitcoin has the edge.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 05:56:10 PM

The beauty of what entrepreneurs can do in the Free(er) Market that is bitcoin. Love it! I can only imagine what new bitcoin innovations we'll see coming out of the garages of entrepreneurs over the next 30-90 days...
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:06:20 PM

LOL.  i just got an email from Dwolla advertising their new iPhone app that allow you to send money to an email address.  everyone's gettin on board.

but how do u compete with btc's  minimal tx cost?
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:17:51 PM

Short the Dow.

+1 on "short the Dow", but probably as of a bit higher levels. I think we may see another high above 12,900 before this SHORT will probably be the trade of the past centuries..

evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 06:20:59 PM

LOL.  i just got an email from Dwolla advertising their new iPhone app that allow you to send money to an email address.  everyone's gettin on board.

but how do u compete with btc's  minimal tx cost?

Dwolla's a great example of a new, innovative, and valuable company that probably would've been very successful until Bitcoin arrived. Sure BTC is helping them immensely in the short term, but in 2 years, what advantage can Dwolla offer?

The brilliance of Bitcoin is that the transaction mechanism is essentially free... no office with staff have to be involved in the process. That whole cost is gone. Dwolla has to earn revenue from money transfers, but how can it compete with Bitcoin which does not? The staff and assets at Dwolla have been made redundant. Perhaps same with Paypal?

"Disruptive" does not begin to describe Bitcoin.

Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:22:35 PM

Assuming Zong-Pal is a way to pay fiat currencies person to person, there are at least three problems:

1) No privacy since a third party watches and records 100% of your transactions attached to your real-world identity.

2) A central party decides who you can and can't pay.

3) It still relies on fiat currencies which are constantly inflated by central banks thus removing wealth from you and giving it to bankers with yacht fetishes and politicians with war fetishes.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:23:47 PM

It reminds me of the early days of email, when everyone like AOL, CompuServe, etc all had their own email systems.  To send an email to someone, they had to be on the same service.  With these payment systems, if you're on dwolla, the person you're sending money too also needs to use dwolla...same with paypal and probably this ebay acquisition too.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 06:27:06 PM

It reminds me of the early days of email, when everyone like AOL, CompuServe, etc all had their own email systems.  To send an email to someone, they had to be on the same service.  With these payment systems, if you're on dwolla, the person you're sending money too also needs to use dwolla...same with paypal and probably this ebay acquisition too.

Bitcoin is the next web. A global, decentralized platform with endless uses. Imagine if someone tried invented a centralized web, where you had to get the web browser from them, and all websites had to be hosted on their servers. It could never compete with the real web. That's what centralized payment methods are to bitcoin.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:13:40 PM

LOL.  i just got an email from Dwolla advertising their new iPhone app that allow you to send money to an email address.  everyone's gettin on board.

but how do u compete with btc's  minimal tx cost?

Dwolla's a great example of a new, innovative, and valuable company that probably would've been very successful until Bitcoin arrived. Sure BTC is helping them immensely in the short term, but in 2 years, what advantage can Dwolla offer?

The brilliance of Bitcoin is that the transaction mechanism is essentially free... no office with staff have to be involved in the process. That whole cost is gone. Dwolla has to earn revenue from money transfers, but how can it compete with Bitcoin which does not? The staff and assets at Dwolla have been made redundant. Perhaps same with Paypal?

"Disruptive" does not begin to describe Bitcoin.

yeah, i have to laugh when skeptics point to all the wasted computer time and electricity costs associated with maintaining the block chain.

but they fail to see that its replacing the entire banking system along with all the waste, corruption, and fraud behind that institutional edifice.  maintaining the block chain is a mere pittance compared with that.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 07:14:52 PM

not to mention Facebook credits.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 11:37:01 PM

true
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: