Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:59:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Famed Trader Joe Lewis Backs Bitcoin  (Read 4177 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:32:39 AM

This is a big. Freaking. Deal.  (No sarcasm)

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323997004578644491403250124?mg=reno64-wsj

For the first time, my ultra-conservative financial advisor is paying attention to Bitcoin after seeing this.

Anyone have a membership so we can see the entire article?  All I had to show him was the title....

-Burger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:35:44 AM

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323997004578644491403250124?mg=reno64-wsj

For the first time, my ultra-conservative financial advisor is paying attention to Bitcoin after seeing this.

Anyone have a membership so we can see the entire article?  All I had to show him was the title....

-Burger-

For the first time, I decided to pay for a paywalled article after seeing your link.

No, just kidding, that will never happen.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:38:10 AM

Sounds like good news to me.
deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:44:45 AM

-Burger-

It wasn't behind a paywall earlier.  Luckily I still had my browser window open.

-----------------------------

Famed Trader Joe Lewis Backs Bitcoin
Article
Stock Quotes
Comments
MORE IN MARKETS »
smaller
Larger
facebook
twitter
google plus
linked in
EmailPrint
Save
↓ More
By HARRIET AGNEW
Joe Lewis, a billionaire foreign-exchange trader who teamed up with hedge-fund manager George Soros in 1992 to bet against the Bank of England, is the latest high-profile financier to throw his weight behind the virtual currency called bitcoin.

Mr. Lewis leads the Phoenix Fund, a Zurich-based private-equity fund that on Tuesday plans to invest $200 million in Avalon, a company that makes computer servers aimed at creating bitcoins, according to people familiar with the situation.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency that exists online and isn't backed by any government or central bank. Bitcoins were invented in 2008 by a computer programmer who goes by the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, who describes it as a peer-to-peer electronic cash system.

Enlarge Image
ZUMAPRESS.com
Joe Lewis's Phoenix Fund is investing in a bitcoin company.

The Phoenix Fund's investment in Avalon reflects the growing popularity of virtual currencies, which are also coming under scrutiny from regulators. Other bitcoin enthusiasts include Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, who are best known for their role in the creation of Facebook Inc. FB +1.50% They have proposed an exchange-traded fund that is tied to bitcoins.

Bitcoins are created through a process called mining, in which computers solve complex mathematical algorithms to earn the bitcoins. The total number of bitcoins that can be mined is limited to 21 million. There are now about 11.5 million bitcoins in circulation, according to Blockchain, a website that monitors bitcoin transactions.

The Phoenix deal will also involve Taiwanese microchip maker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., 2330.TW 0.00% which is set to supply the state-of-the-art microchips that will power the hardware.

The Phoenix Fund was set up this year to invest in bitcoin mining-hardware companies. It looked at several of Avalon's rivals in the sector, including Butterfly Labs and KnCMiner but decided against investing, according to a person familiar with the private-equity firm's strategy.

Investors in the Phoenix Fund, which includes a small number of individuals who made their fortunes in currency trading, believe that the currency will become more stable and popular if more parties are involved in the mining process, this person said.

Mr. Lewis moved into currency trading in the 1980s and 1990s. In September 1992, Mr. Lewis teamed up with Mr. Soros to bet on sterling crashing out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism, an event that was later named "Black Wednesday." Mr. Lewis didn't respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Lewis had big losses investing in U.S. brokerage firm Bear Stearns Cos, in which he began amassing a stake during 2007, The Wall Street Journal reported at the time.

Mr. Lewis is the main investor in an unlisted company called Tavistock Group, which has investments in more than 200 companies across the globe.

Tavistock Group includes ENIC Group, which has a Bahamas-registered subsidiary called ENIC International Ltd., through which Mr. Lewis owns 85% of the shares in U.K. soccer club Tottenham Hotspur.

The Phoenix Fund is independent of Tavistock.

The bitcoin deal was put together by Andrew Laurus, a former government-bonds salesman at Lehman Brothers who is also an investor in the fund. Avalon was set up by Yifu Guo, a pioneer in the bitcoin-mining industry. He was part of the team that developed the first ASIC bitcoin mining hardware. ASIC stands for application-specific integrated circuit, a type of custom-designed microchip. Mr. Guo couldn't be reached for comment.

Separately, Coinflash, a company that planned to set up kiosks for bitcoin enthusiasts to buy the virtual currency, is shutting down before it even opened its doors. "Due to an unforeseen change in our personal circumstances, we've made the difficult decision to suspend Coinflash's services indefinitely," the San Diego-based company said in an email statement.

Coinflash was established earlier this year and had planned to open the bitcoin kiosks in California and New York this summer.

As part of the deal, Avalon will gain access to TSMC microchips based on 20-nanometer processes, which are much faster than other chips. TSMC recently won a contract to supply chips to Apple. The increased processing power should give Avalon an edge in solving the algorithms that control the supply of bitcoins.

—Robin Sidel contributed to this article.
Write to Harriet Agnew at Harriet.Agnew@dowjones.com

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:55:03 AM

First comes the 200 million dollars.
Then comes the 200 million difficulty.
Smiley
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:03:45 AM

I hope they don't come in or Bitcoin is one one of the Fiat related derivatives.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:08:04 AM

Mr. Lewis leads the Phoenix Fund, a Zurich-based private-equity fund that on Tuesday plans to invest $200 million in Avalon, a company that makes computer servers aimed at creating bitcoins, according to people familiar with the situation.

Unbelievable!  Shocked Shocked

battani

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:21:08 AM

You can Google an article title to go through the paywall on WSJ. E.g.

1. Search for "Famed Trader Joe Lewis Backs Bitcoin"
2. Click on the WSJ link (should be the first link)

It should display the full article.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:58:12 AM

Well yes - I don't believe it yet.

So it was reported in wsj... big deal.. journalists get things wrong all the time.  I'm waiting to see confirmation.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 08:11:21 AM

Well yes - I don't believe it yet.

So it was reported in wsj... big deal.. journalists get things wrong all the time.  I'm waiting to see confirmation.

Yeah. Feels off by an order of magnitude or three.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 09:27:21 AM

The bitcoin deal was put together by Andrew Laurus, a former government-bonds salesman at Lehman Brothers who is also an investor in the fund. Avalon was set up by Yifu Guo, a pioneer in the bitcoin-mining industry. He was part of the team that developed the first ASIC bitcoin mining hardware. ASIC stands for application-specific integrated circuit, a type of custom-designed microchip. Mr. Guo couldn't be reached for comment.

Heh, this bit I find particularly fun Smiley.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 09:29:47 AM

Avalon will become the 800lb gorilla of Bitcoin mining hardware if this is true.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 12:42:23 PM

Not surprising.  He can't be reached for customer support either.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 4406

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 01:03:23 PM

$200 million from the UK football (soccer) team owner of Tottenham Hotspur, to be used to create the next gen of ASIC's 20nm chips..

hmm i wonder how many Thashs that will buy him.

knowing that there is only 3600 coins made a day or 1.3m a year it will take 2 years to break even, and thats with nabbing EVERY coin. which we know to be impossible as that above the 51% safe zone. so lets make it atleast 4 years to break even. (hedging that the price will remain constant or rise.)

this guy is not in it for a quick in and out 6 month profit. he is in it for the long haul, unless bitcoin doubles or goes to $1000 a coin in a short period.

this news is definitely going to kick the markets off..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Skinner73

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 01:46:03 PM

Hmmm.. Is this fake information?

https://twitter.com/ScottWapnerCNBC/status/364370798892421120
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 4406

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:36:38 PM

maybe. im digging deeper. as mr lewis has many hands in many pockets of many investment firms

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:56:26 PM

What does "HARRIET AGNEW" have to say about her article in light of the Twitter Tweet?

-Burger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:36:44 PM

The WSJ got their facts wrong in this case. They've already written in a correction, although I can't access the full article behind the paywall

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1jql3z/twitter_scottwapner_cnbc_spoke_to_joe_lewis_this/

Bitrated user: Rees.
yuriygeorge

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

I hate my family

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:51:53 PM

The WSJ got their facts wrong in this case. They've already written in a correction, although I can't access the full article behind the paywall

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1jql3z/twitter_scottwapner_cnbc_spoke_to_joe_lewis_this/

Correction article reads:
"Investor Joe Lewis isn't investing in a bitcoin venture called Avalon and doesn't lead a Zurich-based private-equity fund called the Phoenix Fund. An article on the supposed investment was inaccurately published and has been removed."

▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄██▀▀▀               ▀▀▄▄
      ▄▄█▀                         ▀▀▄
    ▄█▀                        ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█
  ▄██                     ▄▄█▀▀     ▄▀
 ██▀                 ▄▄██████▄    ▄▀
███               ▄▄██████████▄  ▀
██             ▄▄█████████████▀
██          ▄▄█████████████▀
██        ▄ ▀██████████████
██▄    ▄██▀▀  ▀▀████████▀
 ██   ██▀        ▀▀████▀
  ██ █▀
   ▀█
  █▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀    ▀▄

SatoshiGames.io
██████

█████

████

████

█████

██████
               ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█  ▄█     ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █  ▀ █            ▀▀▀▀▄
█  █▄        ▄▀                    ▄▀
▀▄ █ ▀       █         ▄           █
 █          █        ▄██▄         ▄▀
 █         ▄▀     ▄██████▄       ▄▀
 ▀▄        █    ▄█████████▄      █
  █       █      ██████████▄    ▄▀
  █      ▄▀        ▀████████   ▄▀
  ▀▄     █        ▄████▀▀▀▀    █
   █    █          ▀▀▀█       ▄▀
   █   ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▀▄  █                     █
    █  ▀▄▄              █ ▄ ▄▀
    █     ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄       █▀ ▄▀
    ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄█

▄▄▄▄██████▄▄█▄▄██████▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████████
▄▀▄           █           ▄▀▄
█   █         ▄█▄         █   █
█     █        ███        █     █
█       █       ███       █       █
█         █     █████     █         █
█           █    █████    █           █
█             █   █████   █             █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █████   █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
▀███████████▀    █████    ▀███████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ███       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄███▄
▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
BTC
██████

█████

████

████

█████

██████
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:45:32 PM

The first sign should have been that the Chief Avalon Developer's name is not Sum Ting Wong. 

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: