Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:00:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info blank balance and strange transactions I didn't make  (Read 152 times)
baconandbears (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 09:59:50 PM

I'm hoping you guys can help me solve a mystery.

I've had a blockchain.info wallet account (largely unused) for many years now.

I moved most of my btc out of the wallet a while back, but there were definitely btc in the wallet at the time of the bitcoin cash fork.

I recently logged back in to check up on the Bitcoin Cash situation which I've not moved from the wallet, and I noticed two strange SENT transactions one in BTC and one in BCH to addresses I don't recognise.

This is unbelievably suspicious. I've never moved BCH around, and have never traded it.

Is it possible Blockchain moved it out of my wallet somewhere else without my knowing? or decided they weren't going to hold BCH funds at the time? Or there's some errors with their system?

I'm completely confused by this and wondered if you guys could shed some light.

I've since discovered other users complaining about the same issue here. https://imgur.com/04fqlFF
and here https://imgur.com/7gVEQHd
Around the same time period too.

My entire BTC balance appears to be zero, and the same for the Bitcoin Cash account.
everything is super secure and 2FA verified etc with both email and phone numbers to get into the account.

Either something very fishy is going on with Blockchain.info or they're having some major problems.

Here's the transaction for the BTC transfer out of the account:
https://blockchain.info/tx/16a474b9404f46db442ca80ffeb334a3833011a69203834f5d7fc8238e563d3e

And here's the transaction for the BCH transfer out of the account:
https://blockchair.com/bitcoin-cash/transaction/4558b8b5c720837a511a126dea88f76c14f72a1d5337128bf26e4ef70705f868

Can anyone help verify what's going on?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 05:29:41 AM

That's strange if you say that the account is 2FA verified which is means if the hacker knows the wallet id and password it will prevent to open the account because of existing 2FA, and the email confirmation too but now...  Undecided

I've heard some of this flaws too with hitbtc.com. Seems there are too many hack issues nowadays thats why its not very comfortable to store your funds on any web wallets including blockchain.info
wimple

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 07:40:58 AM

Hi,
Have you used your wallet seed or private keys anywhere else?
baconandbears (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 11:33:49 AM

Well this is the thing, I've not used them anywhere else.

Plus, even if I had, they'd still need access to my email AND phone in order to get into the account.

THIS, plus the other people reporting the same issue on their twitter support account has got me thinking something else is going on.

wimple

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:07:21 PM

No.
Blockchain.info ( as I understand it ), just hosts your wallet.
To access your wallet through blockchain.info, you may need email and phone access, but with private keys or the seed, funds can be transferred out without ever notifying you.
Or, if your machine has been compromised, the location your keys were stored could have been compromised.
I was dumb with my blockchain.info wallet, and shared my seed. Next day, all funds gone. No emails, text messages. Just a transfer out of my account of everything.
I'd hoped and hoped it was blockchain.info's fault, but actually mine in the end.
It's a bit deceptive really. blockchain.info is actually less secure imho, as you can access your funds through blockchain.info, or just with the keys.
I hope it is a blockchain.info bug.
Good luck tracking this down.
I'm moving to a hardware wallet for everything next.
khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 12:48:26 PM

Well this is the thing, I've not used them anywhere else.

Plus, even if I had, they'd still need access to my email AND phone in order to get into the account.

THIS, plus the other people reporting the same issue on their twitter support account has got me thinking something else is going on.

If for any reason you gave out your private key to anyone ! They will not your email or mobile to login . Blockchain.info is just user interface and the moment you extract you private key from your wallet for your address you can use it without any other info you entered on blockchain.info site .
baconandbears (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 03:36:09 PM

Just gone back into blockchain.info to see how I would even go about finding my private keys and I need to enter my second password to access them.

I've simply not done this. EVER. I've never needed to.

Absolute mystery. Fingers crossed it's a bug on Blockchain's behalf and I get a message back from my support ticket after the holiday season has calmed down, but I certainly won't be using Blockchain.info again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: